Thoughts on Canon SX70

iflyrc5

I have had several Canon DSLRs over the years with lens from wide angle to 300mm.   When traveling this makes for a lot of weight and stuff to carry.  A couple of years ago I purchased and Canon SX50 and have used it on several cruises and like it for traveling.  It is much less weight and only need to carry the one camera and no extra lens.  For our upcoming cruise I have purchased the latest version of this camera, a Canon SX70.   It has most all the same controls as my DSLR, includes image stabilization and goes up to 1300mm all in a small camera.  I realize that I can not blow up to giant prints but for using on social media or making video slide shows to view on a 4K TV this seems to make it a great camera for traveling.  Also maybe less tempting for people to steal.

Just wondering what others think of these bridge cameras and if you using them for travel.  The photos below were taken with my SX50

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5531.JPG

In the past I traveled with a compact super zoom travel camera - a Panasonic ZS50.  Small and light enough enough to fit in my pocket but shoots in RAW, has an EVF and full controls and an equivalent zoom to 720mm.   It has a 12mp sensor which I preferred for lower light shooting.  I had considered a bridge camera but this little sucker was pretty comparable in a tinier package minus the extended zoom

Purchased a Canon D200 - a small, lightweight DSLR that I took to Prague last year and Rome this year.  I think this will be my new travel camera.....