Best way to explore pitons?

racetech

1 hour ago, racetech said:

Has anyone gone on their own to explore the pitons? Rented a car, scooter, taken a taxi? Would just like to explore nature on this stop as the island looks beautiful. So im looking for ideas on how to best do that. Thanks

Hmm, thousands upon thousands have gone on their own - hence all the threads about various tours, rental car costs, travel time, etc.  There's lots of them

In specifics to your question - what do you actually want to do while there? Hike? Snorkel? Waterfall? Volcano and mud baths? Mineral baths? Plantation tour? Zip line? Dive? Fish? Etc? Makes a big difference on "best" way to get there 

Some things to keep in mind - Pitons are 60-75 minutes south of port by land and one road down, so leave plenty of time for return in case of traffic, or  45-60 minutes south by boat.  There are spectacular views either way. Land is less expensive than by sea.. 

There independent tours that offer excellent comprehensive day trips for reasonable prices and include the highlights such as volcano and mud baths, some beach time, waterfall dip, entrance fees lunch and drinks, etc. And there's taxis readily available to customize a day trip for a flat rate, you picking up entrance fees and good/drink costs, etc.  You could also go via water taxi, which is beautiful but definitely the most expensive option.  

Depend what you want to do. Definitely NOT a scooter or motorcycle rental - it's a quite narrow winding mountainous road, highly highly NOT recommended to do a scooter or motorcycle.  Rental car, maybe , if you're a confident right hand drive car/left hand side if road driver in narrow winding roads.  

Give us some ide of what it is you want to do and we can better make suggestions. 

I was not aware of all the other stuff near the pitons. Im trying to research and plan 6 ports its a little mind numbing so far. Thanks for the suggestions I think I will look into the tours. Id be interested in some hiking, seeing the waterfall, maybe the mud bath also. Ill see what I can come up with.

5 hours ago, racetech said:

I was not aware of all the other stuff near the pitons. Im trying to research and plan 6 ports its a little mind numbing so far. Thanks for the suggestions I think I will look into the tours. Id be interested in some hiking, seeing the waterfall, maybe the mud bath also. Ill see what I can come up with.

It can get overwhelming for sure.  We just completed  4 weeks cruise with multiple new ports for us - it's a load to research for sure! Good luck..

As for St Lucia, some great companies to check out would be Cosol, Spencer Ambrose, Serenity TVL, Real St Lucia Experience, GemXcursions, Joe Knows Tours, Island Man Taxi and Tours..  they all have set tours, or can customize something for you if you prefer.  Cosol and Spencer have some of the best comprehensive cruise ship day tours around (mainly work with cruise guests) the others have a wider variety and work with cruise passengers and with hotel guests, etc... 

Cast my vote for touring with Spencer Ambrose! We've done the Land and Sea adventure tour three times and they have been great. They take you on a speedboat, south to a village where you board a bus to the volcano or mud baths (your choice), then to a waterfall and banana plantation. Back on the boat for a short ride to Jalouise Beach where they usually serve lunch (if not served in the village before the beach). If your into snorkeling, this beach is amazing!! Then they take you on a speedboat ride back to the ship with a few sightseeing stops along the way. We're actually going for a 4th time this next March 2020 but just for a short, tow-site snorkeling tour they offer.

Driving in St. Lucia looks too much like driving during mid-afternoon in a mountain town here in Puerto Rico. Hence, I'd rather pay for a water based tour, any time 😁. DW has been on a land tour on a bus in St. Lucia and said she'd never do it again.

I'll never make the drive to The Pitons again, zippy boat only Spencer figured it out, his Jalousie Beach Break is now his most popular tour because it cuts out the drive from hell........and back.😳

Very scenic boat ride from Castries to Jalousie........and back.😃

The only way to go.

21 hours ago, Getting out there said:

I'm thinking of Spencer, but not liking 4-5 hours at the beach if not much shade. 

There's loads of shade at Jalousie Beach, particularly where the fee chairs are located. Not sure why you'd think differently

On 10/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, TTEllis said:

I'll never make the drive to The Pitons again, zippy boat only Spencer figured it out, his Jalousie Beach Break is now his most popular tour because it cuts out the drive from hell........and back.😳

Very scenic boat ride from Castries to Jalousie........and back.😃

The only way to go.

Can you tell me about the boat ride, smooth, rough (I get extremely motion sick, I'm sure the car ride is out for me)... thanks!

3 hours ago, bulldogmommy said:

Can you tell me about the boat ride, smooth, rough (I get extremely motion sick, I'm sure the car ride is out for me)... thanks!

Boat ride from the port is about 45 minutes very scenic along southern shoreline, it can be a bit bumpy nothing to really worry about, beats the hell out of sitting in the back of a van over and back. Like I said I'll never do that again. Your going to have a great day, go have fun. Todd