Booked on IONA. Only sailed Carnival/ Royal Caribbean

jrmende63

5 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

We are booked on IONA In April 2021 for our 40th anniversary. We have only sailed Royal and Carnival. What do we need to know to sail  P&O?

Any tips appreciated. Also where to stay in South Hampton?

There are many great hotels in Southampton to suit all budgets. 

As you are booking well in advance, you should get a good deal. 

The Harbour Hotel is our only 5 star hotel and is just a few minutes from Ocean terminal where you will sail from. The Premier Inn West Quay often has bargains available and is also conveniently located, but there are many others. 

As for Iona, nobody knows how traditionally P&O it will be yet, my suspicion is it could be quite different, so it is difficult to advise what to expect. 

I am hoping it keeps the British feel and dress codes, but I am not so sure it will.  Have a fantastic time. 

Andy

• Like 1

Hi!

Sounds like a great anniversary cruise.

Are you seasoned travellers?  Have you visited U.K. previously?  If so, you will know the ‘cultural’ differences and be aware of areas where these will affect you.  So, you transfer those onto cruising.  It’s still cruising.

If it will be your first time in Europe/U.K. then it may come as a culture shock.  

But we’re all human and all cruise enthusiasts, so there will be lots more similarities than differences.

I think you will find P&O much less ‘party’ than Carnival, which doesn’t mean to say nothing happens, just that it may not be as ‘in your face’.

As Andy says, no-one has any experience of Iona, seeing as she’s not completed yet.  It looks like she will be shifting more to the US model of more extra-cost features.

There’s lots of info on the P&O website and across the web and you have lots of time to research.  This forum will, I’m sure, be happy to answer any specific questions or worries.  It’s a bit difficult knowing where to start with so general a question as yours.  Rest assured cruisers are a friendly bunch and you will meet nice people.

• Like 2

Just a few, more or less random thoughts in general, rather than giving specific advice on a ship that none of us have yet cruised on.

Firstly, the only Iona April 2021 cruise currently available in the UK market, is a fairly mundane 7 day cruise to Rotterdam, Hamburg etc. Not sure that I would fly from the US for that particular cruise. Perhaps you have booked a cruise that is not currently on sale in the UK.

On board currency on P&O ships is GBP. So you should investigate getting  a credit card that does not charge for foreign currency transactions. A contactless card would be preferable.

If you wan to participate in formal nights, you will probably find the dress code is stricter than on the lines you have cruised with before. For a man, a jacket [preferably a suit] and shirt and tie would be the minimum required. However, as Andy has said, there will probably be more informal options available than on current P&O ships if you prefer to stay casual.

If you go to the Ports of Call section on CC and drill down through Europe to the British Isles/Western Europe forum, you will find lots of advice and information about transfer options and hotels.  

Finally, in pedant mode, you will be cruising from Southampton [one word].

I for one, would be interested to know the exact details of the cruise you have booked, if it is not the 7 day cruise I mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

There are many great hotels in Southampton to suit all budgets. 

As you are booking well in advance, you should get a good deal. 

The Harbour Hotel is our only 5 star hotel and is just a few minutes from Ocean terminal where you will sail from. The Premier Inn West Quay often has bargains available and is also conveniently located, but there are many others. 

As for Iona, nobody knows how traditionally P&O it will be yet, my suspicion is it could be quite different, so it is difficult to advise what to expect. 

I am hoping it keeps the British feel and dress codes, but I am not so sure it will.  Have a fantastic time. 

Andy

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it very much.

18 hours ago, eddie11 said:

Hi!

Sounds like a great anniversary cruise.

Are you seasoned travellers?  Have you visited U.K. previously?  If so, you will know the ‘cultural’ differences and be aware of areas where these will affect you.  So, you transfer those onto cruising.  It’s still cruising.

If it will be your first time in Europe/U.K. then it may come as a culture shock.  

But we’re all human and all cruise enthusiasts, so there will be lots more similarities than differences.

I think you will find P&O much less ‘party’ than Carnival, which doesn’t mean to say nothing happens, just that it may not be as ‘in your face’.

As Andy says, no-one has any experience of Iona, seeing as she’s not completed yet.  It looks like she will be shifting more to the US model of more extra-cost features.

There’s lots of info on the P&O website and across the web and you have lots of time to research.  This forum will, I’m sure, be happy to answer any specific questions or worries.  It’s a bit difficult knowing where to start with so general a question as yours.  Rest assured cruisers are a friendly bunch and you will meet nice people.

We have never sailed P&O and that was the information I was looking for. I am aware that Iona is still being built. I wanted info on what to expect on P&O. We have not yet been to the UK but will travel there in June of 2020. I look forward to sailing a new line and ship. We are not "party" people. We do enjoy a beer now and again, but have outgrown the party atmosphere of Carnival. 

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a few, more or less random thoughts in general, rather than giving specific advice on a ship that none of us have yet cruised on.

Firstly, the only Iona April 2021 cruise currently available in the UK market, is a fairly mundane 7 day cruise to Rotterdam, Hamburg etc. Not sure that I would fly from the US for that particular cruise. Perhaps you have booked a cruise that is not currently on sale in the UK.

On board currency on P&O ships is GBP. So you should investigate getting  a credit card that does not charge for foreign currency transactions. A contactless card would be preferable.

If you wan to participate in formal nights, you will probably find the dress code is stricter than on the lines you have cruised with before. For a man, a jacket [preferably a suit] and shirt and tie would be the minimum required. However, as Andy has said, there will probably be more informal options available than on current P&O ships if you prefer to stay casual.

If you go to the Ports of Call section on CC and drill down through Europe to the British Isles/Western Europe forum, you will find lots of advice and information about transfer options and hotels.  

Finally, in pedant mode, you will be cruising from Southampton [one word].

I for one, would be interested to know the exact details of the cruise you have booked, if it is not the 7 day cruise I mentioned earlier.

I am sorry it was not clear. I am not looking information on Iona, as I know she is still being built. I was looking for information on P&O as a US cruiser coming into the UK to try a different line.

As to what you call mundane and what I call mundane are two different animals. The cruise is the one on 3 April 2021. We are very excited to sail to Rotterdam, Hamburg , Bruges. This is our 40th anniversary sailing and we are looking forward to it. We will have a post cruise land tour so it will not be flying just for the cruise. 

The information you gave on Formal nights is very helpful. Although, hubby has been wearing a tux or suit for several years on cruises so dressing up is not new for us. We enjoy dressing for dinner. 

Finally, I apologize for my iPhone changing Southhampton to South Hampton. I did not notice the mistake until tonight.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

I am sorry it was not clear. I am not looking information on Iona, as I know she is still being built. I was looking for information on P&O as a US cruiser coming into the UK to try a different line.

As to what you call mundane and what I call mundane are two different animals. The cruise is the one on 3 April 2021. We are very excited to sail to Rotterdam, Hamburg , Bruges. This is our 40th anniversary sailing and we are looking forward to it. We will have a post cruise land tour so it will not be flying just for the cruise. 

The information you gave on Formal nights is very helpful. Although, hubby has been wearing a tux or suit for several years on cruises so dressing up is not new for us. We enjoy dressing for dinner. 

Finally, I apologize for my iPhone changing Southhampton to South Hampton. I did not notice the mistake until tonight.

I think the point we are trying to make is that Iona could be very different to usual P&O ships. It is no good us telling you all about the current set ups as it seems Iona is being aimed at a very different market. 

Like you, we enjoy dressing for dinner and hope they keep the formal night's and dress codes, but with no club dining, I fear this maybe relaxed, if not immediately, over time. 

Being a new ship, I think it will have the best P&O can offer in the way of entertainment and crew. 

Have a fantastic time visiting these beautiful cities, I think we tend to underestimate them as they are so accessible for us. 

Andy

• Like 1

Have a look at the links on this web page, which are describing the current newest and biggest ship - Britannia.

https://www.beyondships.com/PO-Britannia-Profile.html

Examples of  a daily programme, menus etc.  

P&O is overwhelmingly populated by Brits, with a mainly Indian and Pilipino service staff.  I’ve only met one US couple on a P&O ship and they were loving it.  They were Anglophiles though, with a daughter resident in London.  

One thing you might not not know is that there is no tipping.  That might sound like ‘no breathing’ to you, but it’s true.  Your cabin steward will appreciate a small tip (€5 -10 for the cabin for 7 nights) but it’s not obligatory at all.  There will be a hospitality tray in your cabin, with a kettle and instant coffee and tea bags, milk and biscuits (cookies).  

Err.  I’m sure there’s lots more.  You will hate the standard coffee but we all do.  Full milk or semi-skimmed only.  No cream for coffee.

Keep coming back with your questions as they come to you.  There’s always someone happy to try to help.  Obviously read up here from next summer when Iona goes into service.  ‘Early adopters’ will be keen to describe their experiences and show their pictures

• Like 1

AndyMichelle and eddie11...Thank you for your help! We are really excited to be sailing in 2020 ...Dover to Norway and this cruise in 2021. 2020 will be my first time to Europe. ( Hubby used to live in Italy, but as a child.). The information about dress and hotels was exactly what I wanted. Harbour Hotel looks amazing and just the right touch for our 40th anniversary pre Iona stay. 

I do have a question about how to get from Heathrow to Southhampton. 

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on. I will be looking for reports and posts on Iona as folks start to sail her in May. 

9 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

AndyMichelle and eddie11...Thank you for your help! We are really excited to be sailing in 2020 ...Dover to Norway and this cruise in 2021. 2020 will be my first time to Europe. ( Hubby used to live in Italy, but as a child.). The information about dress and hotels was exactly what I wanted. Harbour Hotel looks amazing and just the right touch for our 40th anniversary pre Iona stay. 

I do have a question about how to get from Heathrow to Southhampton. 

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on. I will be looking for reports and posts on Iona as folks start to sail her in May. 

Norway is a stunning country, I am sure you will have a fantastic time. 

National Express run a coach service from Heathrow to Southampton which takes about 1hr 20 mins, traffic permitting. 

Trains and private transfers are also available, but the coach is an affordable, comfortable option that arrives a short taxi ride from the terminal and hotels. 

Andy

• Like 1

We too are booked onto this cruise (2 adults and 1 ten year old).  I agree about the itinerary but the sail into Rotterdam is just fabulous and I'll never tire of it.  Added to this, we will be sailing over Easter so the ship should be decked out accordingly.  It is the school holidays as well, so expect there will be a lot of children and a lot of Easter themed events.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 3:34 AM, jrmende63 said:

Just come back from a mini cruise to Hamburg and it’s an amazing city - so much to do and the sail in and out was fascinating. First time we have been and would like to sail there again - we simply ran out of time to do all the things we wanted to do. Cant see why anyone would call in mundane!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Just come back from a mini cruise to Hamburg and it’s an amazing city - so much to do and the sail in and out was fascinating. First time we have been and would like to sail there again - we simply ran out of time to do all the things we wanted to do. Cant see why anyone would call in mundane!

Totally agree, we have 'accidently!' booked 3 more trips to Hamburg and are really looking forward to all of them. 

Andy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Norway is a stunning country, I am sure you will have a fantastic time. 

National Express run a coach service from Heathrow to Southampton which takes about 1hr 20 mins, traffic permitting. 

Trains and private transfers are also available, but the coach is an affordable, comfortable option that arrives a short taxi ride from the terminal and hotels. 

Andy

I can't wait to see Norway. We just sailed Alaska for the second time this past June. I love Scenery.

I will look into the National Express. 

8 hours ago, panamapd said:

We too are booked onto this cruise (2 adults and 1 ten year old).  I agree about the itinerary but the sail into Rotterdam is just fabulous and I'll never tire of it.  Added to this, we will be sailing over Easter so the ship should be decked out accordingly.  It is the school holidays as well, so expect there will be a lot of children and a lot of Easter themed events.

That is good to know about the sailing into Rotterdam. Having never been to any of the ports, I am studying up on what to do there.

4 hours ago, Spike11 said:

Spike11 what all did you do in Hamburg? 

6 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

That is good to know about the sailing into Rotterdam. Having never been to any of the ports, I am studying up on what to do there.

Keukenhof Gardens look beautiful. They are only open March to May, so fits your timing perfectly. 

We are going next April on Britannia and will report back. 

Andy 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

I love that you accidentally booked 3 more trips to Hamburg 🙂 

There were some very cheap offers around for 7 night cruises with fairly similar itineraries. 

We had already booked New Year to Hamburg and Brugge. 

We tried to mix it up a bit but ended up with 3 trips to Hamburg in the space of 6 months...

Not disappointed though, its a great city. 

Andy

• Like 1

The ports you have selected are interesting with lots to see and do.

Rotterdam usually makes passengers very welcome with a small market with local products set up in the cruise terminal and a shanty singing choir if you are off the ship early enough. The terminal is only about a 20 minute walk from the main town centre but the port normally offers a complimentary shuttle bus.

In the centre is the massive food market, sounds boring but it is huge and you can find some interesting food and drink products there. The cube houses are also near the shuttle drop off and I would recommend a visit inside the cube which is open to the public if you have an interest in architecture (but you need to be fit as lots of steps).

You can organise your own tour of Rotterdam harbour https://www.spido.nl/en/tochten-cruises/rotterdam-havenrondvaart.

in Hamburg there is lots to do as well. You can book your own round tour on the Alster lake, just go to the booking huts which are obvious at the side of the lake. There are lots of hop on hop off bus tours just along from the shuttle drop off (you are likely to need a shuttle as big cruise ships are berthed further out of the city).

You can book a tour of the impressive Town Hall. It do want to do that book whenever you arrive as they are popular, and there are only a couple in English. You. To only hear all about the Hamburg, the art inside is amazing.

Hamburg has some great places to eat and if you want to do the traditional beer and sausage experience with staff in costume then there are places right in the middle that are open for lunch. It is also a great place for shopping with lots of quality shops eg the Alsterhaus right on the lake.

Brugge is in my opinion one of the prettiest places in Europe. The ship berths nowhere near the city so you will need transport. P&O offer tours or Brugge on your own. The shuttle takes you to Blankenburg where you then need a train but that takes time and on a first visit you are probably better getting straight onto the city to maximise time. 

There is is so much to see in Brugge that your can just wander around. You can however get a boat trip on the canals, a horse drawn carriage tour, mini bus tour etc which give an orientation. You also need to try the excellent chocolates, some of the literally hundreds of beers they produce and the chips and mayonnaise which are a local speciality along with mussels in wine and garlic or rabbit.

As others have said just come back with any questions you have.

• Like 1