Cruise Critic Community
jjmwat4

Miami Port Car Rental and Airport/Hotel Advice?

Hi,

Apologies in advance. Complete cruise novice going on our first one ever next month with RCI and never visited Miami before.

Can anyone help provide any help/guidance please. When we disembark, we are hanging round for couple of days longer. Thinking of hiring a car to drive down to Fort Lauderdale or The Keys. What would be the best arrangement for us to make, given I cannot find any car rentals firms in the Port?

Is it easier to go to the Airport or Downtown to pick up a car? Is it quite easy to get to somewhere once leaving the ship? Assuming easy and better to drop off at Airport on return rather than downtown and organise a transfer. 

My my first choice would normally be Alamo but in truth not too fussed who go with. Whatever is easiest. Is there a lot of tolls by the way if heading to The Keys (Highway 1?) or Fort Lauderdale?

On a separate matter too, staying in hotel in Brickell prior to cruise. Is there any difficulty in getting a Uber from Airport to Hotel (do they permit Uber pickups?)

Many thanks for reading and any advice offered.

Uber can take you anywhere. So you are fine with that part. 

I also think renting a car from the airport location in you case is smart. You can get an Uber or Taxi from the port after disembarkation and just head to the airport car rental center. Very simple. 

Where are you staying after? If downtown, be aware of parking fees. If staying at an airport hotel, this shouldn't be a problem.  Airport hotel would be fine considering you have a car. 

I'd go to the keys over Fort Lauderdale. For what that's worth.  If you are looking for advice on where to go and what to see in the keys and/or Fort Lauderdale, this is a great place to get that as well. 

There is not a lot of tolls going to the Keys or Fort Lauderdale.  How familiar are you with Miami? I would explore Miami over Ft Lauderdale if both are new to you. But definitely do the keys as well. 

On 9/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, Corby114 said:

Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service from the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center to the Port Of Miami. At the conclusion of your cruise they also provide the free shuttle service in the opposite direction. Hertz, Avis, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. I personally rent from the Rental Car Center because it open twenty four hours a day, there is plenty of rental car inventory, and has plenty of employees to handle your transaction even during the most busiest of times. The downtown Miami locations are smaller and tend to get very busy on turnaround days.

5 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

I would head to the airport, rent a car, and head straight to Key West.

With a couple of days, I'd probably do exactly this, too.

Key West doesn't really have any good beaches, but on the way down there are a lot of good ones .

We've used the airport location both before and after cruises, very easy.  There is a free shuttle that will pick you up at the port and take you there.  Utilized Alamo last time and once we arrived to the car rental center with skip the counter it was extremely quick and painless to get on the road.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:24 PM, jjmwat4 said:

Hi,

Apologies in advance. Complete cruise novice going on our first one ever next month with RCI and never visited Miami before.

Can anyone help provide any help/guidance please. When we disembark, we are hanging round for couple of days longer. Thinking of hiring a car to drive down to Fort Lauderdale or The Keys. What would be the best arrangement for us to make, given I cannot find any car rentals firms in the Port?

Is it easier to go to the Airport or Downtown to pick up a car? Is it quite easy to get to somewhere once leaving the ship? Assuming easy and better to drop off at Airport on return rather than downtown and organise a transfer. 

My my first choice would normally be Alamo but in truth not too fussed who go with. Whatever is easiest. Is there a lot of tolls by the way if heading to The Keys (Highway 1?) or Fort Lauderdale?

On a separate matter too, staying in hotel in Brickell prior to cruise. Is there any difficulty in getting a Uber from Airport to Hotel (do they permit Uber pickups?)

Many thanks for reading and any advice offered.

Welcome to the boards! 😎

I also suggest renting from the airport location - those downtown locations sometimes are overwhelmed by cruisers, leading to long delays. From Miami Fort Lauderdale is up/north while the Keys are south, South West .

Thanks BNBR and all. Sounds like making our way to Airport for the car rental is the best shout. We have been to Florida several times but never Miami. We visited Anna Maria Island few years back south of Tampa and loved it so much, so think we may head out to the Keys. Initial thoughts are Marathon or Islamorada as only 2 days. Did not realise there was a board for that so will look it up. It’s like putting a pin randomly on a map for us as we have no idea. My daughter wants to visit a Giant Turtle hospital / sanctuary which she reckons is out that way somewhere so somewhere near that sort of thing.

one other question as I am green behind the ears with all this. On our cruise stopping off in both Honduras and Mexico. Is it better to have US dollars or to get some of the local currency instead?

Thanks once again.

You don't need to exchange currency for Honduras or Mexico.  Nothing to worry about there. 

Hawks Cay is a popular resort near Marathon, might be up your alley.  Even with 2 days, though, the extra hour and half of driving may not be a big deal. It's a nice driving. I'd do Key West still, with a stop at the turtle hospital on your way down.  But that's just my preference. 

We do day trips to Islamorada. It's such a nice drive in the keys that you forget about how long of a drive it is! 

i just called an enterprise outside of hte port area and was told that they stopped picking people up from the cruise port.  Just FYI.

If you are set on the Keys go all the way to Key West, it has the most to offer and you can stop at the turtle hospital on the way down. Key West is fantastic, but its not very large so check up on hotel availability now. 

Unless you are driving yourself use Uber/Lyft to get around they can drop off and pick up anywhere in Miami and are cheaper and much better than any taxi. In Brickell you can find just about anything walking distance though and the Metromover takes you around the area too, and it is free. 

Agreed just get the car from the airport. 

I agree with Flymia, maybe stop at the Turtle Hospital (you need reservations) have lunch, and head to Key West.  Unless you are out on the water, under or over it, the rest of the keys don't have too much to offer.  We always fish, dive, and snorkel the middle keys but otherwise, there isn't a lot.

I really like spending the day at Fort Zachary Taylor.  We love to float around there but it is a rocky beach.