Zaandam- jogging on promenade heard in cabins below

vmom

We had a wonderful cruise this June on the Zaandam.  No complaints except for the joggers on the promenade deck.

To all the joggers out there:  There are cabins directly under the promenade and when a jogger/runner runs on the deck it makes a boom boom boom pounding noise in the cabin below.

We were woken up 5 out of the seven mornings by someone running on the deck.  This was around 6:30 am each morning.  Each morning we would hear boom boom boom, then a few minutes of quiet before again hearing the pounding of feet above us.  After hearing this pattern of pounding for a good 30-40 minutes, it was difficult to fall back asleep. 

After the first morning, I went onto the promenade  and looked for signs that said no running.  I didn't see any  signs but my friend said there was one at the end of the deck.

By the third morning I called passenger services and asked them to have someone go up and ask people not to run before 8:00 am.  I was told, sorry but there is nothing they can do about the joggers and runners on the promenade.  I responded by asking them to at least ask the runners to wait until 8:00 am and was again told there was nothing that they could do.

I wrote this comment multiple times  in my follow up questionnaire.  I hope HAL does something to fix this problem.  Either prohibit running/jogging completely and ENFORCE it!   Or at least ask for no running/jogging prior to 8:00 am and ENFORCE it!.  Also put up multiple signs in multiple places  to inform people of the rules.  

Although I was very happy with everything else about this cruise the lack of response by HAL to do something about this was frustrating.  In the future I will avoid any cabins on the deck below the promenade and recommend that others do the same. 

I read cruise critic often, especially when picking out a cruise and cabin.  I'm surprised I hadn't read anything about this problem in the past. And I already know about not getting a cabin below a common area....I just didn't think about the runners on the promenade. 

Edited by vmom
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, vmom said:

We had a wonderful cruise this June on the Zaandam.  No complaints except for the joggers on the promenade deck.

To all the joggers out there:  There are cabins directly under the promenade and when a jogger/runner runs on the deck it makes a boom boom boom pounding noise in the cabin below.

We were woken up 5 out of the seven mornings by someone running on the deck.  This was around 6:30 am each morning.  Each morning we would hear boom boom boom, then a few minutes of quiet before again hearing the pounding of feet above us.  After hearing this pattern of pounding for a good 30-40 minutes, it was difficult to fall back asleep. 

After the first morning, I went onto the promenade  and looked for signs that said no running.  I didn't see any  signs but my friend said there was one at the end of the deck.

By the third morning I called passenger services and asked them to have someone go up and ask people not to run before 8:00 am.  I was told, sorry but there is nothing they can do about the joggers and runners on the promenade.  I responded by asking them to at least ask the runners to wait until 8:00 am and was again told there was nothing that they could do.

I wrote this comment multiple times  in my follow up questionnaire.  I hope HAL does something to fix this problem.  Either prohibit running/jogging completely and ENFORCE it!   Or at least ask for no running/jogging prior to 8:00 am and ENFORCE it!.  Also put up multiple signs in multiple places  to inform people of the rules.  

Although I was very happy with everything else about this cruise the lack of response by HAL to do something about this was frustrating.  In the future I will avoid any cabins on the deck below the promenade and recommend that others do the same. 

I read cruise critic often, especially when picking out a cruise and cabin.  I'm surprised I hadn't read anything about this problem in the past. And I already know about not getting a cabin below a common area....I just didn't think about the runners on the promenade. 

There are two prominent "No Jogging" signs, one at the bow end and one at the aft.  I was on the Zaandam in July, and I pointed out the clear signs to one guy who insisted on jogging every morning.  After telling me to "f... off" he did stop jogging!  Mind you, he probably changed his time so as not to run into me again. 

• Like 3

Zaandam's Guest Services dropped the ball on this issue BIG TIME! I wonder if the person who you spoke to is even aware of the posted signs which are of course enforceable. They should be aware! Sorry you had to put up with this. You have a valid complaint! 

• Like 5

Unfortunately, the signs that no longer exist are the ones directing "counterclockwise" on the deck.  Well, Amsterdam still has two "one-way -->" signs.  I've had to modify my prom laps (brisk walking) to the very early-morning time when the crew is doing the daily sluicing of the decks. I know that I must annoy them as they perform this task.  However, if I go later I'm frightened at the forward and aft blind corners as there is sure to be someone strolling in the clockwise direction.  Although Amsterdam also has mirrors so you can see the path around the corners.  The other ships don't -- or didn't.  I'll be boarding Volendam tomorrow so I'll soon find out.

And I too have politely directed joggers to the sports deck.  Some have responded in a civil fashion and some have not.

• Like 1

I would be sure to hound HAL about this again.  I am a jogger and know better than jogging, at any time, on the promenade.  More and more ships no longer have a decent promenade, I think it is important that the ambience of the promenade be preserved.  It may be the last place to quietly meet other passengers.

Thank you for your feedback. 

I did mention this problem in detail on my questionnaire after the cruise. Don’t know if that had any impact since I never heard back from anyone.

After reading everyone’s post I sent an email to HAL about this issue.  In case anyone is wondering, what I want from HAL is clear signage about no jogging and retraining of the guest services to follow up and enforce this in the morning before 8:00 am.  

I loved this size ship and the cabin location worked well with the exception of this problem. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, Lady Chew said:

I don't jog, but I do walk for miles around the Promenade deck on our cruises.  I think the sports deck lanes are pretty useless for serious walking, let alone jogging.  

That’s why they have treadmills.  I jog daily but I adapt to cruise life by utilizing the gym.   When I need a real jog I get off the ship early and go for a jog.   There is no reason to disturb other people.  

• Like 1

Unless you like hearing noises above you, one should NEVER book a cabin on a deck below an open promenade deck, pool deck, etc. above your cabin.  Many don't study the ship's deck plan to see what is on all 4 sides of their possible cabin.  I have little sympathy for those who do not due their homework before making a booking and are displeased with their decision.

17 hours ago, Umbarger said:

They should enforce what their signs say.  Tell us if you get a response from HAL.  

You won't get a response other than a "canned" response, if any.

Never, ever have I seen any "staff police" on the Lower Promenade Deck enforcing the "No Jogging Rule".  Guests are expected to "police" themselves in this regard.  Just as the driver I saw in my community this afternoon is expected to respect the Red Light rather than driving through it.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

You won't get a response other than a "canned" response, if any.

Never, ever have I seen any "staff police" on the Lower Promenade Deck enforcing the "No Jogging Rule".  Guests are expected to "police" themselves in this regard.  Just as the driver I saw in my community this afternoon is expected to respect the Red Light rather than driving through it.

I understand your point. I’m wondering what HAL expects us to do in this situation? Go ask the passengers to stop running before 8:00 am?   On one morning when the passenger service desk refused to help, I went to the promenade deck and kindly informed the runner that his running was waking up passengers on the cabins below and could he run after 8:00 am. He said sorry and kept on running.  So now what? Wondering if might lead to an uncomfortable confrontation between passengers if HAL refuses to get involved. 

It doesn't seem to matter where you go (home town, other city, Disney, other cruises lines, resorts), there are more and more people that feel the signs/rules are for other people but not for them.  I'm afraid it's the times we live in.

As far as "doing your homework" and choosing rooms that are not below the promenade deck - if you look at the deck plans approx. 50% of the ocean view are under the promenade deck.  

• Like 2

It's not JUST the noise.  As the promenade decks get more and more narrow there are many areas where two people can barely pass without bumping each other.  Add to that that the vast majority of people on the prom deck are older, often not very mobile and mostly taking a quiet stroll to look at the sea and scenery.  Having joggers come flying around a corner unexpectedly is not only rude it is also downright dangerous.  

If you want to jog go do it on a treadmill or sports deck or ashore.

Leave what is left of the promenade decks for walkers.

Holland needs to enforce the NO JOGGING rules and not force passengers to have to confront these IDIOTS who obviously either can't read, don't care or both.

• Like 2