Onboard Sky

Lorizack

We are currently onboard the Viking Sky enjoying Trade Routes of the Middle Ages. It’s a sea day today, and I’d be happy to answer questions or seek out information if anyone has something specific to ask. We are first time Ocean folks, so it’s all a wonderful new adventure for us.

You bet! We did The Viking extension of Oslo to Bergen. Loved Oslo and wished for more time. We saw the new ski jump, which was impressive in size. Then the Viking museum, which was very interesting.  Then the Fram Museum. Both museums were great and we learned so much. We could have used so much more time. Both had public washrooms and were very accessible. In the Fram, you can tour the actual ship. That could present some mobility issues. In the bus between stops were saw the palace, and learned a lot about life in Oslo. 

We rode with our guide on the train to Bergen. It took just over 7 hours. The walk from the bus to the train was not difficult but the surface was uneven. If pushing carry on bags, it was a bit cumbersome, but not bad. We had two train cars for Viking, with two guides. They served a bag lunch and coffee or tea. Washrooms were airplane style and right there. The scenery was lovely and the trip enabled us to connect with fellow travellers. A short bus ride (5 minutes) and we were at our hotel. No check in required at hotels...Viking guides passed out room keys. Luggage was in our rooms.

There are many places to eat and drink right outside the door in Bergen. We met up with a few CC connections for a drink in the bar.  Prices in Norway are high....be prepared!

The included Bergen tour was coach and foot. We stopped at a restored neighbourhood/museum, which required a steady foot. Cobblestones, steep streets and rickety steep stairs may be a challenge, but it would be possible to avoid those areas and stay nearer the bus. Washrooms there. We also visited the fort which was across the street from our ship. A few stairs but everyone seemed to manage those. Then on to the ship, which a very easy process.

We purchased the Dale sweater factory excursion.  It took an hour by bus each way, which was pleasant. The factory was interesting, and we were able to see each step of the process, and chat with workers. There is a factory store which had a good selection of items on sale, along with newer items. I thought the prices were better than online or in town. Washrooms were right there.

We were dropped off in town and walked to the fish market before returning to the ship. That afternoon there was a person brought in to the ship who offered tax refunds for any items purchased over 315 Nk. So keep your receipts. We took the refund in Euros to prepare for our next stops.

Phew! We were ready for today’s sea day.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lorizack said:

You bet! We did The Viking extension of Oslo to Bergen. Loved Oslo and wished for more time. We saw the new ski jump, which was impressive in size. Then the Viking museum, which was very interesting.  Then the Fram Museum. Both museums were great and we learned so much. We could have used so much more time. Both had public washrooms and were very accessible. In the Fram, you can tour the actual ship. That could present some mobility issues. In the bus between stops were saw the palace, and learned a lot about life in Oslo. 

We rode with our guide on the train to Bergen. It took just over 7 hours. The walk from the bus to the train was not difficult but the surface was uneven. If pushing carry on bags, it was a bit cumbersome, but not bad. We had two train cars for Viking, with two guides. They served a bag lunch and coffee or tea. Washrooms were airplane style and right there. The scenery was lovely and the trip enabled us to connect with fellow travellers. A short bus ride (5 minutes) and we were at our hotel. No check in required at hotels...Viking guides passed out room keys. Luggage was in our rooms.

There are many places to eat and drink right outside the door in Bergen. We met up with a few CC connections for a drink in the bar.  Prices in Norway are high....be prepared!

The included Bergen tour was coach and foot. We stopped at a restored neighbourhood/museum, which required a steady foot. Cobblestones, steep streets and rickety steep stairs may be a challenge, but it would be possible to avoid those areas and stay nearer the bus. Washrooms there. We also visited the fort which was across the street from our ship. A few stairs but everyone seemed to manage those. Then on to the ship, which a very easy process.

We purchased the Dale sweater factory excursion.  It took an hour by bus each way, which was pleasant. The factory was interesting, and we were able to see each step of the process, and chat with workers. There is a factory store which had a good selection of items on sale, along with newer items. I thought the prices were better than online or in town. Washrooms were right there.

We were dropped off in town and walked to the fish market before returning to the ship. That afternoon there was a person brought in to the ship who offered tax refunds for any items purchased over 315 Nk. So keep your receipts. We took the refund in Euros to prepare for our next stops.

Phew! We were ready for today’s sea day.

Hello, Lorizak! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time so far which is making me even more excited!!! We are doing the Oslo extension as well, and your info is very helpful indeed. By the way, do you know of anyone on board who did the Scenic Bergen Fjord and King Crab excursion? If you do, could you ask them if it is really worth it and comment on here? I know you will be very busy enjoying your trip, but if you hear anything, please let me know. Have a wonderful rest of your trip, and I will be looking for any further comments from you! Thanks for your update - it is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much for the information on the Oslo Extension. We are booked on the "Best of Norway" Pre Extension for June. The Extension includes 2 nights in Oslo, a train ride, and 2 nights in Bergen before you board the ship.  We decided to fly in a day early and your report confirms that was a good idea. There seems to be a lot to see in Oslo. 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your journey and keep us posted!

• Like 3

Glad to hear things are going well on the Sky. Hated to leave her the way we did -  hanging (more like swaying in the wind) on a cable below a helicopter!  Looking forward to the maiden voyage of the Venus year after next. 

I do have a question for you though...are there still the model ships in glass display cases on the mezzanine level of the Explorer's lounge?  Those cases (and the ships) were all destroyed during the cyclone. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Lorizack,

Thanks for all the info. We leave Friday the 4th for Trade Routes of the Middle Ages on the Viking Jupiter. How was your weather in Bergen? Temperatures? Did anybody do the funicular ride? Wondering how that will be if it is raining or cloudy. Is Amsterdam your next port? Thrilled if you keep posting as you go for those following behind you very shortly.

Oslo and Bergen were gloriously warm and sunny. But Bergen is NOT known for sunshine, so beware. Apparently September is often the kindest month. Many rode the funicular up the mountain and said the views were unbelievable. Those who were able, hiked back down ( that’s very Norwegian!) and enjoyed it very much. Locals and tourists alike sit outdoors to drink coffee or beer, regardless of the weather.

Today in Amsterdam it is overcast with rain in the forecast for the afternoon. We are heading out armed with raincoats and umbrellas, so all is good.

The crossing from Bergen to Amsterdam was quite choppy, and a number of folks were not feeling well. Be forewarned that if you are sensitive, take your meds in the evening upon leaving Bergen, before bed, so that you don’t miss that important window.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Glad to hear things are going well on the Sky. Hated to leave her the way we did -  hanging (more like swaying in the wind) on a cable below a helicopter!  Looking forward to the maiden voyage of the Venus year after next. 

I do have a question for you though...are there still the model ships in glass display cases on the mezzanine level of the Explorer's lounge?  Those cases (and the ships) were all destroyed during the cyclone. 

Yes, we’ve seen those models, so rest assured, they’ve been replaced.

• Like 1

Lorizak, thanks so much for these posts! We leave the 4th for Bergen for the same cruise so it is wonderful to hear of your experiences. I notice that you posted during a sea day. Were you using the ship's WiFi? I am hoping for connectivity even at sea to check on my mother-in-law who is 97.

Thank you so much for this info! Invaluable! I am looking forward to hearing more! 

When you say the North Sea crossing was choppy, I am wondering if it affected life onboard. Was the Spa or anything else closed? Were passengers afraid or just queasy? Thx! 

2 hours ago, ptkelley said:

Thank you so much for this info! Invaluable! I am looking forward to hearing more! 

When you say the North Sea crossing was choppy, I am wondering if it affected life onboard. Was the Spa or anything else closed? Were passengers afraid or just queasy? Thx! 

Nothing changed. Perhaps by some standards it wasn’t too bad, but many woke in the night and felt ill. Several others I spoke with were queasy all of our sea day yesterday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bethtraxl said:

Lorizak, thanks so much for these posts! We leave the 4th for Bergen for the same cruise so it is wonderful to hear of your experiences. I notice that you posted during a sea day. Were you using the ship's WiFi? I am hoping for connectivity even at sea to check on my mother-in-law who is 97.

We are only using the ship WIFI and have kept our phones on airplane mode. The wifi will be adequate for you to stay in touch with folks back home. It’s a bit slow when I post pictures to a group message site, but otherwise it does a great job at sea and in port.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 5:18 AM, Lorizack said:

We are currently onboard the Viking Sky enjoying Trade Routes of the Middle Ages

Here's the route map just to give everyone an idea of what ports are covered on this itinerary.

image.png.d50d2ffcf2eca0d60bab3120fb196dde.png

We are doing Iberian Explorer in January, so I am waiting to hear about Portsmouth, Malaga and Murcia. 👍

3 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Have you had your Meet and Greet yet? Just wondering what day of the cruise Viking will schedule it. If so, how was your turn out and did Viking make it worth your while?

The Meet and Greet was on day three, our first sea day, at 6:00. Invitation was on the desk on day 2. It was in the Wintergarden. Lovely appetizers, wine and some original cocktails created by our event bartender.  I believe 32 were signed up and perhaps 20 attended. Most stayed over the allotted hour. Senior hospitality staff attended and mingled for the first half hour or so. It was a nice event and many of us connected. 

Bruges today. A very gloomy day with on and off showers, but not cold. We took the Bruges on your own tour. We were dropped off outside of the town centre, at the bus drop, and given a few recommendations and a map on the bus. We walked into the centre and meet a  ‘free’ walking tour that someone on CC had prearranged, although you could just join up on the spot. Maximum 25 folks. Walk for 2 hours. Works on a tip at the end of the tour. Legendary Tours. Martin was our guide. Great tour, great history, little stories to bring the history alive. We were thoroughly turned around by the end, but really enjoyed it. We walked over 13000 steps, and over rough paths and dodging bikes...not for the faint-hearted! Then used our guide’s recommendation for a waffle cart and chocolate shop. We back-tracked and  visited Michelangelo’s Madonna and Child for 4 euros each. Had frites on a bench and then sat for a rest with beer and wine. An altogether charming spot to visit and a lovely day all round.

washrooms were in restaurants and also where we got tickets for Madonna and Child. 

Chefs Table tonight! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Here's the route map just to give everyone an idea of what ports are covered on this itinerary.

image.png.d50d2ffcf2eca0d60bab3120fb196dde.png

We are doing Iberian Explorer in January, so I am waiting to hear about Portsmouth, Malaga and Murcia. 👍

Looks like a nice cruise! We're booked on the Iberian Explorer for Jan. '21 as a B2B following the Viking inaugural from Rome to Barcelona that the March Sky guests are invited on. Never been anywhere in the Med, so excited about it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, Lorizack said:

Bruges today. A very gloomy day with on and off showers, but not cold. We took the Bruges on your own tour. We were dropped off outside of the town centre, at the bus drop, and given a few recommendations and a map on the bus. We walked into the centre and meet a  ‘free’ walking tour that someone on CC had prearranged, although you could just join up on the spot. Maximum 25 folks. Walk for 2 hours. Works on a tip at the end of the tour. Legendary Tours. Martin was our guide. Great tour, great history, little stories to bring the history alive. We were thoroughly turned around by the end, but really enjoyed it. We walked over 13000 steps, and over rough paths and dodging bikes...not for the faint-hearted! Then used our guide’s recommendation for a waffle cart and chocolate shop. We back-tracked and  visited Michelangelo’s Madonna and Child for 4 euros each. Had frites on a bench and then sat for a rest with beer and wine. An altogether charming spot to visit and a lovely day all round.

washrooms were in restaurants and also where we got tickets for Madonna and Child. 

Chefs Table tonight! 

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!  What was the name of the waffle cart that your guide recommended?  I’m looking forward to trying an authentic Belgian waffle (DH is looking forward to the beer!). 😋 Also, was there a long wait to see the Madonna and Child?

Hope you had a nice dinner at the Chef’s table.