Real Roatan with Sloths, Monkeys and Snorkeling - Dan Johnson's Sloth Hangout

ScottnBobbi

I Want to start this review by stating that I am in no way affiliated with this organization.  My wife and I support it for what it is, how it treats the animals, but also because you are directly helping the people living on Roatan.  On the drive to the hangout, you see a great deal of poverty within eyesight of cruise ships. This organization hires people from the community and treats them well.  The drivers are not corporate people, but real people.  We were taken to real shops with great items made by the people living on Roatan.  This was truly a great experience for many reasons, but most of all because of the people.   

If you do anything in Roatan, this should be it! The booking was simple and the communication with   the hang out was quick and helpful. Upon our arrival in Roatan, we could see a parking lot crammed with buses and other forms of transportation. The lines going different places were long and plentiful. We walked by all the people gathering, walked by all of the packed buses, across the street to a clearly identifiable group of people waiting with the Dan Johnson Hang Out signs. 

We were introduced to Felicia who would be our own personal driver. Yes, she was going to drive us around Roatan while we were there. She walked us a short distance to her car and we were on our way. The car was very comfortable and air-conditioned. Felicia drove us to the hang out and showed us many great spots and explained life in Roatan as she did. The hang out is 20 minutes or so away, but the drive was fine as we were very comfortable.  

The hang out is not a flashy tourist spot, which was amazing. Dan himself welcomed us to the hang out within the first five minutes of our arrival. We chose to snorkel as part of the package and were on the boat in no more than 15 minutes. This is a great experience no matter your skill level. You only have a 10 minute boat ride to the snorkel site and a guide swims with each group to help identify the best areas to see the great sea life in the chosen area. Dan was the one that took us out and he was extremely patient and helpful. Once back, we changed and moved on to the animals.

At the hang out, there are monkeys, birds, and sloths. We were given a tour with with another couple, four total. We were given plenty of time to experience the monkeys and birds, but the sloth was the ultimate experience. We both got to hold the sloth and we were not rushed at all. This was my wife's most anticipated event on our cruise and it did not disappoint. It is worth it! The animals were very well treated and it is clear that there are great relationships between all of the animals and the people that work there. The animals are all very well maintained and have large pens that connect to other pens. The sloths aren't even in pens. Ask to see the baby!

Felicia was waiting when we are done to take us back to the boat. We could have toured more than we did or even go to the beach, but we chose to stop at a couple of shops and go back to the boat. Felicia drove us to the entrance of the port and we were there in plenty of time.  

This is truly the best excursion we have taken during our four total cruises. The price was also the most reasonable. What was even better was that all of the money we spent went right to the people who live and work on Roatan. Dan takes care of his employees, this is VERY clear, and they all care for the animals and the people that visit them. The drive showed us some very poor areas and this was memorable as well. I am glad we saw what we did as we appreciate what we have even more than we did.  

When we found out about the hang out, the reviews seemed a little too positive. Too good to be true. It is exactly what people write about it. DO NOT HESITATE to go the Hang Out. Dan, Stephanie, Felicia and everyone else was amazing. If we return to Roatan, this will be the reason.

Thank you Dan and Felicia!

Book through the Hangout's website to save money: https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/home/

• Like 2

BINGO!!!

That's what we're looking for.  DW just wants to hold a sloth and see the monkeys, since her last cruise didn't dock in Roatan because of winds.  We're not looking to hang out anywhere else, unless Temporary Cal's is open or I can arrange a stop at the craft beer brewery in West End.  Otherwise is Captain Jacks for us, then back tot he ship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 7:09 AM, ScottnBobbi said:

I Want to start this review by stating that I am in no way affiliated with this organization.  My wife and I support it for what it is, how it treats the animals, but also because you are directly helping the people living on Roatan.  On the drive to the hangout, you see a great deal of poverty within eyesight of cruise ships. This organization hires people from the community and treats them well.  The drivers are not corporate people, but real people.  We were taken to real shops with great items made by the people living on Roatan.  This was truly a great experience for many reasons, but most of all because of the people.   

If you do anything in Roatan, this should be it! The booking was simple and the communication with   the hang out was quick and helpful. Upon our arrival in Roatan, we could see a parking lot crammed with buses and other forms of transportation. The lines going different places were long and plentiful. We walked by all the people gathering, walked by all of the packed buses, across the street to a clearly identifiable group of people waiting with the Dan Johnson Hang Out signs. 

We were introduced to Felicia who would be our own personal driver. Yes, she was going to drive us around Roatan while we were there. She walked us a short distance to her car and we were on our way. The car was very comfortable and air-conditioned. Felicia drove us to the hang out and showed us many great spots and explained life in Roatan as she did. The hang out is 20 minutes or so away, but the drive was fine as we were very comfortable.  

The hang out is not a flashy tourist spot, which was amazing. Dan himself welcomed us to the hang out within the first five minutes of our arrival. We chose to snorkel as part of the package and were on the boat in no more than 15 minutes. This is a great experience no matter your skill level. You only have a 10 minute boat ride to the snorkel site and a guide swims with each group to help identify the best areas to see the great sea life in the chosen area. Dan was the one that took us out and he was extremely patient and helpful. Once back, we changed and moved on to the animals.

At the hang out, there are monkeys, birds, and sloths. We were given a tour with with another couple, four total. We were given plenty of time to experience the monkeys and birds, but the sloth was the ultimate experience. We both got to hold the sloth and we were not rushed at all. This was my wife's most anticipated event on our cruise and it did not disappoint. It is worth it! The animals were very well treated and it is clear that there are great relationships between all of the animals and the people that work there. The animals are all very well maintained and have large pens that connect to other pens. The sloths aren't even in pens. Ask to see the baby!

Felicia was waiting when we are done to take us back to the boat. We could have toured more than we did or even go to the beach, but we chose to stop at a couple of shops and go back to the boat. Felicia drove us to the entrance of the port and we were there in plenty of time.  

This is truly the best excursion we have taken during our four total cruises. The price was also the most reasonable. What was even better was that all of the money we spent went right to the people who live and work on Roatan. Dan takes care of his employees, this is VERY clear, and they all care for the animals and the people that visit them. The drive showed us some very poor areas and this was memorable as well. I am glad we saw what we did as we appreciate what we have even more than we did.  

When we found out about the hang out, the reviews seemed a little too positive. Too good to be true. It is exactly what people write about it. DO NOT HESITATE to go the Hang Out. Dan, Stephanie, Felicia and everyone else was amazing. If we return to Roatan, this will be the reason.

Thank you Dan and Felicia!

Book through the Hangout's website to save money: https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/home/

Thanks for the wonderful review.  I was undecided between this one and another.   Were you able to hold the sloths?  How long did you have with the driver  

The snorkeling location is very close.  I am not positive, but I think we were in the water for at least an hour.  It was greAt.  They only cared about us with no upsale. Patient and helpful. It was not the greatest abundance of fish, but there were enough.  The guides in the water point out some great finds.  

Can you tell me how far the walk is from the ship to the place where you are picked up?  I have trouble walking very far and need to know if it is very far.  It sounds pretty far by the info they sent to me.  Thank you!

When you get to port in Roatan, you need to walk through the area at the port.  Basically they wait directly across from the entrance all the buses etc come and go from.  I walk with a cane the majority of the time and it was fine.  When they bring you back, they pull right up to where you need to enter. Very short walk.  A thing to think about is that everywhere else you go, you are dropped off exactly where you want to be. It is truly easier than any other excursion I have ever taken.   

• 2 months later...

Totally agree with the OP on this review.  We've been to the Hangout twice on two separate cruises and have been very impressed with the small facility and truly impressed with the staff and their concern/care of these abandoned animals. Our first tour was with Daniel as our guide and he explained how this all got started and how it has grown.  It began as a way to fill a need-taking care of animals that needed help. 

On our last trip, my 90 y/o MIL was with us and has problems with long distance walking. She had no problems getting from the ship to where we met our guide. 

• 2 weeks later...

We've booked with Daniel for Sloths/Snorkeling/Beach and it looks like they go to Las Palmas for this triple package. 

Monkey snorkeling #2/ Las Palmas beach (no island tour)

In the description, it says about the beach- 

Then our driver will take you back to port when you are ready to head back!

Total excursion time for monkey snorkeling #2/Las Palmas beach is about 4-5 hours, including transportation time to and from the port. You will be back in port AT LEAST ONE HOUR before your ship leaves. 

I can't tell if this is a private driver that takes us to the beach and then back to port, or if they put together groups from the same ship. Then does the driver just wait there  at the beach, or do you tell them what time you're planning to leave? Or is there some other signal when you are ready to leave the beach? 

I've seen posts about having a private driver that will take you anywhere, but I don't know if that depends on which package you book. Thanks

The driver you get will be your own personal driver.  Based on our experience with Felicia, where you go is up to you.  They do wait for you wherever you go.  I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers get a little something to bring you to certain places, but Felicia never tried to influence what we wanted to do.  After our snorkeling and hangout time, we just wanted to go to some stores to look at some crafts and things.  Felicia brought us to one she was familiar with and it was amazing.  Nothing we would ever have found on our own and more importantly we felt safe being there.  The crafts were amazing and the prices were much better than at the port.  The best buying experience on the entire cruise.  It was also great to talk to the real people of Roatan.  After that we just wanted to go back to the ship early and beat the crowd.  No worries, we were taken back.  The people that you will experience are very receptive to what you want based on our experience.  I don't think it would be an issue to make changes at any time during the excursion.  

• Like 1