My review (with photos) of our corner Family Veranda on the "revolutionized" Summit

Turtles06

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree it is a stupid design. Did you mention it on your PCS? My wife brings a round held hand mirror for whatever reason(?). But, I can gaurentee you she would have been PO if there wasn't the large mirror above the desk. That's where she blow dries her hair and uses her curling iron.  The one in our stateroom was big with a light around it.

I wrote a comment about it on board and gave it to Guest Services.  There really was no place on the PCS for such a comment, but I am going to send an email to X about it.    (In the corner FV, that big round mirror with a light around it is hanging on the wall 16 feet away from the desk. Very useful there! 🙄)

We have been in C2 cabins on Summit twice since revolution - in May to Bermuda and just got back from Canada/New England. We had a big round mirror on wall over desk. Also full length one on inside of left closet door. 

Outlets were on left facing the bed in cabin where bed faced forward toward front of ship (8080), on right where bed faced toward back of ship (8070).

7 minutes ago, srdancer said:

We have been in C2 cabins on Summit twice since revolution - in May to Bermuda and just got back from Canada/New England. We had a big round mirror on wall over desk. Also full length one on inside of left closet door. 

Indeed, this is not an issue in all cabin types, thankfully.  (We also had a full length mirror inside the left closet, so that would make it nearly 16 feet from our desk, also useless for purposes of the blow dryer.) 

On 9/24/2019 at 11:41 AM, Elainemh said:

We just stayed in 8183, not a corner.

We did have the large mirror in the front room, but the cords on our dryers and stylers

were not long enough to reach to use that mirror.  We knew from previous reviews that there was not a mirror at the desk.  I had purchased  10”X12” mirror from Amazon

that we brought with us to sit on desk.  The outlets on the desk was too low and due to the size of our hair dryer plug we were not able to plug the dryer in.  Thank goodness I had brought a heavy duty 3 prong extender.

I was disappointed that we did not have the high top large table on our deck.  We only

had one small round table. This left no place to really sit and eat.

Even with these small problems I would not hesitate to book this room again.

We have 7204 booked on the Millennium.  I'm disappointed to read that you didn't have the large table.  We really enjoy having breakfast on the balcony and those small tables are useless.  Do you happen to have a photo of the balcony?

30 minutes ago, 2ndsailing said:

We have 7204 booked on the Millennium.  I'm disappointed to read that you didn't have the large table.  We really enjoy having breakfast on the balcony and those small tables are useless.  Do you happen to have a photo of the balcony?

I do not have a photo.  We had 4 chairs and 2 loungers and the 1small table.  What made it more disappointing not having the larger table was the Corner FV and the

Concierge cabin on the other sides  of us did have the bigger table.

I haven’ seen this mentioned but on our 2 day return to Bayonne we had a problem with soot.

Edited by Elainemh
Spacing

7 minutes ago, Elainemh said:

I do not have a photo.  We had 4 chairs and 2 loungers and the 1small table.  What made it more disappointing not having the larger table was the Corner FV and the

Concierge cabin on the other sides  of us did have the bigger table.

I haven’ seen this mentioned but on our 2 day return to Bayonne we had a problem with soot.

That’s too bad about the larger table. Did you ask anyone about it?

Sorry about the soot problem!  We did not experience that. But we did have some weird flying, biting insects (I’ve never seen them before) for a few days.  No idea what they were.

9 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

That’s too bad about the larger table. Did you ask anyone about it?

Sorry about the soot problem!  We did not experience that. But we did have some weird flying, biting insects (I’ve never seen them before) for a few days.  No idea what they were.

I did mention it to our cabin steward who advised no larger tables were available.

No problems with bugs but one day we came back to the room and found that someone had thrown Gummie Bears down on our deck.

Edited by Elainemh

On 9/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thank you for your very kind words!

We did not try to lock our iPads in the safe, so I can't say for sure, but I doubt one would fit.  If it did, I think it would be very tight.  I hope someone else can answer for sure.

I tried to put our I-pads in the safe in our balcony cabin and they would not fit.  However, we fit our passports, car keys, wallets, a camcorder, 2 cameras and my jewelry pouch in the safe with some room to spare.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for such a thoughtful and substantive review.  As others have said it's greatly appreciated. I agree that the the new colors scheme is attractive and peaceful.  And I'm thrilled about the new showers!

But, the design flaws are inexcusable.  My guess is there is a preponderance,  of staterooms occupied by at least one woman.  The decision to not have a mirror above the desk/vanity is absurd.  Hopefully that will be remedied.

Whoever made the decision to eliminate coffee tables inside the rooms and to decrease the size of balcony tables has most likely not sailed on a ship or at least not on an itinerary with more than 1 or 2 sea days.  It can be assumed that management would prefer their guests get out their staterooms as much as possible.

Please explain where will my husband and I play backgammon or scrabble or enjoy room service or put our beverages while reading.  Where will we put the flower arrangements we always order?  Will we have to schlepp a folding table along with footrests (hopefully the rumors that they're coming back are true) along with our luggage like the Beverly Hillbillies?!?  And, how often will coffee cups and beverage glasses be spilled on the carpet when they are placed on the floor due to no table?

Style, albeit questionable, over substance comes to mind.  

• Like 2

Thank you for this excellent and detailed review. I love the concept of the family veranda rooms however I really wish that they would offer two bathrooms. We would very much love to have a shared living space, but four of us sharing one bathroom is just not my idea of a vacation.

• Like 1

9164 here.  Aft facing, handicap accessible.

Just off September 8th.  We have the very same cabin for June - Canada/New England.

We had a narrow table (no drawers).  All our plugs are right here with that giant-round mirror.  Plugs and USB ports on the base of both bedside tables, we were rolling in charging potential.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:28 PM, Turtles06 said:

The other problem for us was that the two-tops in the MDR were so close together (two inches perhaps) that it was like eating at a table for four.   We just don't like to eat dinner with people we don't know; sometimes you luck out, and sometimes you don't.  (On this cruise, for example, the guy next to us at one dinner made a very rude and insulting political comment, clearly ignoring the common courtesy about not discussing religion or politics.)  

My husband and I were on the Summit in July to Bermuda and found the two-tops being so close to be very uncomfortable. We're not unsocial people but sometimes you just want a private conversation with your companion. One night we were seated next to a couple about our age. They were there first. As we sat down we smiled and said hello, like you do, and then proceeded to eat dinner and chat with each other. The other couple never spoke a word to each other the entire meal and only spoke to the waiter to order drinks and send some wine back the wife didn't like.  They never even looked at us or tried to talk. They finished before we did and as they got up the man said (very sarcastically) "nice to speak with you" and then walked away. We were kind of taken aback - they never gave off body language like they wanted to speak with us and certainly never tried to make any conversation. The next night the same couple was there when we were seated but this time they were two tables down. Another couple, this time a little older, was seated next to us and struck up a conversation. We chatted nicely throughout the meal. The first couple shot us dirty looks the whole meal. 

Unfortunately, in an effort to have more two-tops it's almost like you are back to sitting at a table with strangers again!

10 minutes ago, lorimay said:

My husband and I were on the Summit in July to Bermuda and found the two-tops being so close to be very uncomfortable. We're not unsocial people but sometimes you just want a private conversation with your companion. One night we were seated next to a couple about our age. They were there first. As we sat down we smiled and said hello, like you do, and then proceeded to eat dinner and chat with each other. The other couple never spoke a word to each other the entire meal and only spoke to the waiter to order drinks and send some wine back the wife didn't like.  They never even looked at us or tried to talk. They finished before we did and as they got up the man said (very sarcastically) "nice to speak with you" and then walked away. We were kind of taken aback - they never gave off body language like they wanted to speak with us and certainly never tried to make any conversation.

Wow, how awful and rude!

I have to say, each night that we went to the MDR on the Summit, I started having a bout of anxiety before dinner, for just the reasons we've both written.  You have no idea what the strangers with whom you are effectively sharing a four-top will be like.  If we really wanted to eat with strangers, it would be at a larger table than a four-top, that's for sure.

We were also on the Summit in September with our friend.  The 3 of us were at a 4 top and I was so interested in our conversations I rarely noticed the people next to us except for one couple.  They never spoke to even each other.  Perhaps they were having too much fun listening to us.

With the 3 of us were constantly gabbing, you could never get a word in anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, grandelli502 said:

We are sailing on our first cruise with our kids, we have booked this type of room for my husband and our 3 kiddos. Do you think there is enough room for all of us? 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Celebrity intends these cabins to be booked by a family of five.  How old are your "kiddos?" (It sounds like they are young, which should help.)  There's certainly "enough room" in the sense that the sofa and Chairy in the second room convert to beds, although I've never slept on them so I can't speak to them.   Just keep in mind that there's only one bathroom, and that it can only be accessed by walking through the main bedroom (just as the balcony can only be accessed by walking through the second room).   If your family can work with that, and your kids are little, I would imagine you'll be fine.  (I just asked my wife, and she agrees as well.)   We are not speaking from experience, ,just from having sailed in this cabin. 

Your kids will love the balcony!  (As will you and your husband.) 

Enjoy your family cruise!  

• Like 1

Here's an update on the lack of a wall mirror for the blow dryer in the "revolutionized" corner FVs.   Since posting this review, I've emailed Celebrity and spoken with their executive office, and was assured that they are sending an email to the ship to do something about this.   Let's hope the problem gets fixed.   (I hope someone in the future will report back. 🙂)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grandelli502 said:

We are sailing on our first cruise with our kids, we have booked this type of room for my husband and our 3 kiddos. Do you think there is enough room for all of us? 

We were in the aft facing Aqua Class Handicapped Accessible Cabin on Deck 9.

They replaced the single sofabed with a single sofa (no bed).

9164 is now a double cabin only with lots of room for my wheelchair and scooter.

19 minutes ago, Donut23 said:

We were in the aft facing Aqua Class Handicapped Accessible Cabin on Deck 9.

They replaced the single sofabed with a single sofa (no bed).

9164 is now a double cabin only with lots of room for my wheelchair and scooter.

I think you’ve posted in the wrong place. The person to whom you responded (and whose post you quoted) was asking about a corner Family Veranda that she’s already booked for her family of five. 

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Here's an update on the lack of a wall mirror for the blow dryer in the "revolutionized" corner FVs.   Since posting this review, I've emailed Celebrity and spoken with their executive office, and was assured that they are sending an email to the ship to do something about this.   Let's hope the problem gets fixed.   (I hope someone in the future will report back. 🙂)

I hope someone can let us know it has been taken care of before my May cruise. I will be checking the boards often to hopefully hear some good news.

Laura

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I hope I am responding right. We have a 3, 5 and 8 year old. We do not pack heavy so it should be fine. Thank you for all the information. We are so excited to be able to have gotten this room instead of having to do 2 rooms. Thank you again. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Celebrity intends these cabins to be booked by a family of five.  How old are your "kiddos?" (It sounds like they are young, which should help.)  There's certainly "enough room" in the sense that the sofa and Chairy in the second room convert to beds, although I've never slept on them so I can't speak to them.   Just keep in mind that there's only one bathroom, and that it can only be accessed by walking through the main bedroom (just as the balcony can only be accessed by walking through the second room).   If your family can work with that, and your kids are little, I would imagine you'll be fine.  (I just asked my wife, and she agrees as well.)   We are not speaking from experience, ,just from having sailed in this cabin. 

Your kids will love the balcony!  (As will you and your husband.) 

Enjoy your family cruise!