Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tigger54

Cpap what do I have to bring and other questions

Recommended Posts

My husband and I are taking a cruise on Crown Princess next month. He will have to bring his c pac machine. Will princess supply the distilled water? Will they also provide an extension cord? If so, can I order these items ahead of time? Where do I go to order the items or do I need to bring these things?I know on our Carnival cruises, the ships provided every thing we need.

Also,

I thought I read that my first drink would be free if I use my medallion. Is this true?

Does this ship serve pizza and if so, where do we find it and is it good? My husband loves pizza.

We leave for this cruise 2 weeks from today and trying to remember all of the questions I need to ask. We are very excited for our first cruise on a Princess ship. I imagine it will be a little calmer then our Carnival cruises that we have taken. Maybe closer to the Celebrity or MSC cruises we have taken. 

We truly have enjoyed all of our cruises and are very flexible to the differences between cruise companies. 

I have heard and read great things about Princess cruises so I can’t wait to take this cruise.

Any must tries or must dos on this ship?

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our travel agent took care of ordering the distilled water and extension chord prior to the cruise for our daughter.

It was in the cabin when she arrived . No charge for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

My husband and I are taking a cruise on Crown Princess next month. He will have to bring his c pac machine. Will princess supply the distilled water? Will they also provide an extension cord? If so, can I order these items ahead of time? Where do I go to order the items or do I need to bring these things?I know on our Carnival cruises, the ships provided every thing we need.

Also,

I thought I read that my first drink would be free if I use my medallion. Is this true?

Does this ship serve pizza and if so, where do we find it and is it good? My husband loves pizza.

We leave for this cruise 2 weeks from today and trying to remember all of the questions I need to ask. We are very excited for our first cruise on a Princess ship. I imagine it will be a little calmer then our Carnival cruises that we have taken. Maybe closer to the Celebrity or MSC cruises we have taken. 

We truly have enjoyed all of our cruises and are very flexible to the differences between cruise companies. 

I have heard and read great things about Princess cruises so I can’t wait to take this cruise.

Any must tries or must dos on this ship?

Thank you

You order the distilled water on your Personalizer under Accesibility and Dietary Requests.They can provide an extension cord but we take our own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

You order the distilled water on your Personalizer under Accesibility and Dietary Requests.They can provide an extension cord but we take our own. 

 

Yup.

 

That extension cord is likely to end up stretched across the cabin floor to where the TV gets its power.  Consider a roll of duct tape to prevent tripping.  Also, ships' extension cords invariably have a single socket -- consider packing a triple-tap to plug into the end and allow you to plug in cellphone, etc, chargers near your pillow.

 

...and, unlike HAL, Princess does not charge for the gallon of distilled water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our cruise last month on the Crown we were told that those of us that attended the embarkation day presentation in the theater on the Medallion Class information would get a free drink.  This was said by the cruise or entertainment director.  Neither my wife or I received a drink that was not charged to our account.  So I guess it's a matter of semantics as to what qualifies as a drink.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskanb said:

You order the distilled water on your Personalizer under Accesibility and Dietary Requests.They can provide an extension cord but we take our own. 

 

Likewise.  However, I have rarely needed to use my extension cord for my CPAP in a Princess cabin -- the standard cord has always(?) been long enough.  On the other hand, an extension cord is sometimes needed for hotels we've stayed in en route to or from the cruise.  

 

The distilled water ordered in advance via the Personalizer has always been provided by Princess, but usually not until late on embarkation day, after I've spoken to the room steward to make sure it really will be delivered. -- John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is usually a plug behind the table on the side of the bed. You will need an adapter because it is a European 220v plug. I used an adapter that had two outlets, so that I could plug in the CPAP and also plug the lamp back in. You will have to move the bed to get to that plug - I recommend asking your steward to do it for you (and don't forget to take your adapter home with you at the end of the cruise).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Haboob said:

 

Yup.

 

That extension cord is likely to end up stretched across the cabin floor to where the TV gets its power.  Consider a roll of duct tape to prevent tripping.  Also, ships' extension cords invariably have a single socket -- consider packing a triple-tap to plug into the end and allow you to plug in cellphone, etc, chargers near your pillow.

 

...and, unlike HAL, Princess does not charge for the gallon of distilled water.

On our Regal cruise in February our steward provided the duct tape.  You do not have to bring your own.  Not sure about extension cord as we always bring our own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many threads about traveling/cruising with CPAP machines.  Do a search.  It will list all of the essentials.

 

plug adapter

distilled water 

duck tape (for hose)

extra parts

I bring a small portable stool to place in the drawer

Hand carry machine through embarkation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn this thread! Usually CPAP is typed as all caps. Every time I see the thread title Cpap my brain reads a different word. D'Oh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ordered ahead of time, and, I've asked my steward for an extension  cord & water. Both ways work pretty much the same.  Don't worry about it. As far as running the cord to the desk, if it's a balcony I run  it right under the door, never was a trip-hazard.

On our cruise aboard the Caribbean Princess in July, our 1st drink via the App was free, well, actually mine was free & they charged my DW, who quickly go the charged removed at the desk 🙂 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Darn this thread! Usually CPAP is typed as all caps. Every time I see the thread title Cpap my brain reads a different word. D'Oh!

It is an acronym, funny thing - this is 'almost' always true - 3 letter acronyms are spelled out, FBI, CIA, 4 letter ones are pronounced, CPAP, NASA, NOAA. There are exceptions of course, so feel free to call me an idiot for pointing this out 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

It is an acronym, funny thing - this is 'almost' always true - 3 letter acronyms are spelled out, FBI, CIA, 4 letter ones are pronounced, CPAP, NASA, NOAA. There are exceptions of course, so feel free to call me an idiot for pointing this out 😉

 

Quite a few exceptions actually. SPCA, ACLU, NAACP, YMCA... Many more. FAQ is a 3 letter acronym that is pronounced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tigger54 said:

...I thought I read that my first drink would be free if I use my medallion. Is this true?

Does this ship serve pizza and if so, where do we find it and is it good? My husband loves pizza.

We leave for this cruise 2 weeks from today and trying to remember all of the questions I need to ask. We are very excited for our first cruise on a Princess ship. I imagine it will be a little calmer then our Carnival cruises that we have taken. Maybe closer to the Celebrity or MSC cruises we have taken...

Any must tries or must dos on this ship?

Strange, I'm the retired Polysomnographic Technician and I'm left to answer the non-CPAP questions. Contact Princess for your healthcare concerns, but seems others have answered from their experience.  Likely a special on the free drink, don't know. Princess Pizza is very good, with daily specials plus standards. Pizzaria is on deck 15, near Neptune's Pool by Coffee and Cones. Princess generally offers more to do on board than Celebrity, based on cruises with both lines, but activities are always a matter of taste, so can't really advise things to do. Food is very good, but some have posted they'd give Celebrity the edge on dining. Yes, Princess is more toned down than Carnival.  Enjoy!

Edited by mtnesterz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Strange, I'm the retired Polysomnographic Technician and I'm left to answer the non-CPAP questions. 

Hi! Polysom:classic_laugh:

Couldn't resist...

Sorry for the interruption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 7:46 AM, tigger54 said:

Will princess supply the distilled water? As explained by others, it's in the Personalizer. No charge, one gallon at a time. BTW: if the water doesn't show up in time for bed, don't panic. Tap water is OK for a short period of time. Distilled is used to prevent mineral deposits from accumulating in the tank. So tap water in the hotel (if you're flying in early) is fine.

Will they also provide an extension cord? Yes. Or bring your own.

 

Does this ship serve pizza and if so, where do we find it and is it good? My husband loves pizza. Lido deck. Some like it, some don't. DH & I are in the "YUCK" section. Tried it a couple of times and gave up.

 

You probably know all of this, but it bears repeating for newbies.

1) CPAP is a carry-on for ALL US airlines, it's a law. Also, carry-on when you get to the port.

2) Bring an extra mask cushion, just in case.

3) DON'T FORGET YOUR POWER CORD!!

I worked in homecare for 30+ years setting up & monitoring CPAP. I live in a vacation area and weekly (sometimes daily), people came in to our store with "Oh! I forgot to bring my {fill in the blank}". There won't be any replacement parts on the ship, be prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we have travelled Princess and NCL a lot and all you have to do is ask your steward when you get on board or go to customer service.  They will bring to room at no charge.

 

Enjoy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

1) CPAP is a carry-on for ALL US airlines, it's a law.

 

Rephrasing for clarity:

 

CPAPs (BiPAPs, etc) are not carry-ons under US law if transported by themselves in their own carry cases -- no stuffing extra socks in the cases.  They are Personal Electronic Medical Devices and are permitted as cabin baggage separate from any carry-on allowance.

 

Now if you want to use one in flight from aircraft power?  Contact the airline well ahead of time and you might get lucky, but expect to have to bring (rent?) a battery-operated unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You must first make sure you have a seat with power available. Call the Airline and advise you are using a CPAP/BIPAP. If you're on the flight manifest not a problem ( at least in the Friendly Skies ). Here is a pic of my setup on the Island Princess.Duct tape is one of the first things I pack. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.14.15 AM.png

Edited by Yehootu
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Hi! Polysom:classic_laugh:

Couldn't resist...

Sorry for the interruption.

Also an RRT. Apologize to other posters for being off topic, but I don't know how to PM on CC.  Hope to see you on a cruise someday, Jeff!

Edited by mtnesterz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Also an RRT. Apologize to other posters for being off topic, but I don't know how to PM on CC.  Hope to see you on a cruise someday, Jeff!

That's cuz CC doesn't have PM.:classic_ninja:

gnjferren at hot mail dot com  :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, Yehootu said:

You must first make sure you have a seat with power available. Call the Airline and advise you are using a CPAP/BIPAP. If you're on the flight manifest not a problem ( at least in the Friendly Skies ). ... 

 

Be aware that, if you contact your airline in advance about bringing a CPAP machine onboard, they may flag your reservation as being in a "special needs" category that prohibits you from sitting in an exit row (even if you don't need to use the CPAP in flight).  Depends on the airline and probably on chance. 

 

I no longer advise the airline in advance that I'll be hand carrying a CPAP (which I don't use in flight).  I stopped notifying them in advance about the CPAP after I was bumped out of my reserved exit-row seat because of the (unused) CPAP.  Now I just show up, and have never been challenged about having an extra carry-on (the CPAP) or about having booked an exit row seat.  I do try to keep my "standard" carry-on at or below the official size limits, so that it plus the CPAP case don't take much (if any) more space than what many other people are carrying aboard.

 

John 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J-D said:

 

Be aware that, if you contact your airline in advance about bringing a CPAP machine onboard, they may flag your reservation as being in a "special needs" category that prohibits you from sitting in an exit row (even if you don't need to use the CPAP in flight).  Depends on the airline and probably on chance. 

 

I no longer advise the airline in advance that I'll be hand carrying a CPAP (which I don't use in flight).  I stopped notifying them in advance about the CPAP after I was bumped out of my reserved exit-row seat because of the (unused) CPAP.  Now I just show up, and have never been challenged about having an extra carry-on (the CPAP) or about having booked an exit row seat.  I do try to keep my "standard" carry-on at or below the official size limits, so that it plus the CPAP case don't take much (if any) more space than what many other people are carrying aboard.

 

John 

The only reason to advise the airlines, is if you want to use the device. I had a passenger who didn't and when asked what he was using, only showed the Flight Attendant the serial number of the device. I forwarded the info I was given to dispatch and on the info they had, advised that the passenger could NOT use whatever he was using on the aircraft. There are a lot of unapproved medical devices that aren't allowed to be used on the aircraft unless it's approved and on our manifest. He refused to turn it off, and was rude and belligerent to the flight attendants. He was advised I was going to divert to kick him off the plane and he turned it off. In Cancun. come to find out it was a resperonic just like the one I use. A little cooperation goes along way. The airline doesn't need to know if you are carrying one, only if you plan on using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

...The airline doesn't need to know if you are carrying one, only if you plan on using it.

 

That view certainly makes sense.  However, airline personnel have told me at least twice that their passengers are required to provide advance notice that they will be bringing a CPAP machine aboard the aircraft, whether or not they wish to use it aboard.  On one occasion when I provided advance notice, I was bumped from my exit row seat  to a standard (too small) seat when boarding.  That reportedly occurred because, as a result of my advance notification, I was listed as needing special accommodation and therefore ineligible for the exit row.  Nowadays I just declare the CPAP machine at security and then bring it aboard; nothing is said about it on boarding. 

Edited by J-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

INteresting, I just put my CPAP in my backpack with everything else, once in awhile security asks me if I have a CPAP in it (I use TSA precheck, so no need to unpack it for the scan). I have never told them I have a CPAP in my carryon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...