Is Adventure more than just...meh?

micmacmissy

Our Celebrity Edge cruise looks like it is falling through - trying to find another itinerary that is decent.

Adventure has a 6 night with some stops that we've never been to.  Previously cruised on Independence and Allure - and really liked them both.  But Adventure...is that ship old and tired?  Does it have any good specialty restaurants?  More importantly - is the service good?

Other option is to jump on Symphony - but it's so $$$, and we feel like if we've done Allure, how much different can Symphony be?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I think you'll be happy with the Adventure OTS, a voyager class ship.  It has the Royal Promenade (deck 5) and the ice rink (deck 3). I think it was just refurbished in 2018. There are several "pay extra" restaurants if you want one, the most popular probably being Giovanni's Table (Italian) and Chops Grille (steak).

Edited by Jimnbigd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

Our Celebrity Edge cruise looks like it is falling through - trying to find another itinerary that is decent.

Adventure has a 6 night with some stops that we've never been to.  Previously cruised on Independence and Allure - and really liked them both.  But Adventure...is that ship old and tired?  Does it have any good specialty restaurants?  More importantly - is the service good?

Other option is to jump on Symphony - but it's so $$$, and we feel like if we've done Allure, how much different can Symphony be?

I haven't been on Adventure to comment but with regards to Symphony, having just cruised on her and previously cruising on Oasis she is quite different than Allure (at least until Allure refits). Different Dining options (Wonderland, El Loco Fresh, Playmakers, Hooked, and Jamie's), different venues (The Attic versus Comedy Live and Bionic Bar versus Champagne Bar), different shows and different attractions (slides like The Ultimate Abyss and The Perfect Storm).

3 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Symphony is very different from Allure. 

Ate you looking at the 6 night Adventure or the 8 night?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dplusd said:

I prefer Adventure (or any Voyager or Freedom class ship) to any Oasis class.  Oasis is too big, too crowded and lacks ocean views from common areas.  Really miss the Promenade deck on Oasis class.

That is exactly what people used to say about the Voyager and Freedom class ships until Oasis was born.

I've sailed Adventure several times from San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale. Never been disappointed with any of those cruises. My only complaint is the entertainment. The shows have not been changed out in years, maybe not even since the ship went into service. But I know to expect that when I book the ship.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've sailed Adventure several times from San Juan and Ft. Lauderdale. Never been disappointed with any of those cruises. My only complaint is the entertainment. The shows have not been changed out in years, maybe not even since the ship went into service. But I know to expect that when I book the ship.

My biggest complaint about adventure, is that it was very stinky in several places.  And, when I was talking to my husband about the bad smell, a flock of diamond cruise critic people got mad at me for insulting the ship?  It was very weird...  I knew they were diamond because they had little badges, and I knew they were CC because that is what their lanyard’s said.

15 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

My biggest complaint about adventure, is that it was very stinky in several places.  And, when I was talking to my husband about the bad smell, a flock of diamond cruise critic people got mad at me for insulting the ship?  It was very weird...  I knew they were diamond because they had little badges, and I knew they were CC because that is what their lanyard’s said.

If they had badge like name tags they were pinacles..  Diamonds have a little, round,RC  pin.  Most ships have that sulfur smell from time to time.  It comes with a vacuum sewage system into which certain idiots flush something besides toilet paper and poop

Edited by bilyclub
add

Really enjoyed 12 days on Adventure from Ft Lauderdale to NJ by way of ABC islands this May.  There was plenty of entertainment and I knew I would love the layout, having previously cruised on Mariner.  I would gladly take any Voyager class ship as we book based on itinerary.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

If they had badge like name tags they were pinacles..  Diamonds have a little, round,RC  pin.  Most ships have that sulfur smell from time to time.  It comes with a vacuum sewage system into which certain idiots flush something besides toilet paper and poop

Thx!  They must have been pinnacles then.  And, there must have been idiots flushing bad stuff everyday, cuz it stunk everyday, especially by the elevators.

3 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Thx!  They must have been pinnacles then.  And, there must have been idiots flushing bad stuff everyday, cuz it stunk everyday, especially by the elevators.

There's probably a more technical and thorough explanation for the smell. I sure Cruise Critic's resident  ships engineer, Chengkp75, could explain it a lot better that me.

Been on Adventure and Allure 3 times each. It's a good ship; both are. Adventure has the water slides and Splash-away Bay. On Voyager class, I miss Central Park, Boardwalk, the Aquatheater dive show and the sheer number of specialty restaurants vs. Oasis class. But I like that Voyager class can dock in many more ports, opening up a great range of itinerary options. 

I would not call it 'meh.' I did find it felt a tad more, em, 'tranquil' compared to Allure (mainly speaking of the vibe I got off the Royal Promenade); so I think bigger and newer did translate to a bit more 'energy' on the Allure

Look at your cost difference and the ports on offer. Now, ask yourself how big of a deal the Aquatheater show, Central Park and Boardwalk ambiance and specialty restaurant options matter to you. Pay more, get more. Or not.