Cruise Critic Community
bilyclub

Empress Stabilizer Problem

One person posted last week from the Empress that he was informed there would be a short dry dock to fix the stabilizers.  Anybody have anything further on this ?  I remember when the Navigator was having a stabilizer problem that became bad enough that they cut it off while docked. 

On 9/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, seabeew said:

Empress is doing a very short dry dock to do something related to their stabilizers in 2019. I just heard that this week when I was on the Empress. I don’t recall when it’s going to be.

Found the post.

I’m interested in the post you found.   Could you share a link to it please. We’re on it this Sunday.   

Just finished up a b2b on the Empress last Saturday. I didn’t hear anything about stabilizer issues or an upcoming dry dock. I remember the Captain announcing he was using the stabilizers during a section of my cruise. I actually found this ship handled the rough seas quite well. It was a great two weeks and oh yes for those interested the 10 drink card was offered on both cruises towards the end... $79 plus 18% gratuity.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, mmadhatter said:

I’m interested in the post you found.   Could you share a link to it please. We’re on it this Sunday.   

It's posted right above your post. Here's the link. Post#15

I don’t have any other information about the dry dock other than it will only be a few days before she goes to New York. 

There's a short window from 5/1/2020 when the last Miami sailing returns and 5/4/2020 when the first NJ departure begins.

1747385410_Empress-NJ-ProbablyDrydock-Annotation2019-09-28173935.PNG.thumb.jpg.958eaf2ba3e4a03f12667182f1ba5e4c.jpg

8 minutes ago, dswallow said:

There's a short window from 5/1/2020 when the last Miami sailing returns and 5/4/2020 when the first NJ departure begins.

1747385410_Empress-NJ-ProbablyDrydock-Annotation2019-09-28173935.PNG.thumb.jpg.958eaf2ba3e4a03f12667182f1ba5e4c.jpg

Isn't that just a non-revenue reposition?

I suppose it depends where it has to go for the repair.

11 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Isn't that just a non-revenue reposition?

I suppose it depends where it has to go for the repair.

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

This. 

Yes, they can't carry pax between Miami and NYC, so that is a non-revenue sailing.

Even if they were just to remove a stabilizer (NCL's Sky sailed for 5 years with only 3 out of 4 fins), that would require a bare minimum of 36-48 hours as a rush job to accomplish.  Don't think GBSY, while supposedly up and running, would be ready for a "fly by" operation like this, that would also require 24-36 hours prior to set the keel blocks in place in the drydock.