Dress Code

rhinomike

How about things that are denim, or appear to be, but are not 'jeans'?  Years ago, on a cruise that visited cooler climes, I got a lot of wear out of a denim ankle length skirt, with a denim jacket that just happened to match.  Loved that skirt, because as the cruise (26 days) went on, the waist got looser, so I could tell I was losing weight...  I also have a couple of skorts that appear to be denim but are really french terry... One is white, and has been worn to dinner on occasion.  EM

I'm no official arbiter as to the dress code (!) but for me just because it is made of denim doesn't mean that an outfit is verboten.  Your outfit sounds just fine to me.  I have something similar in my closet that I wouldn't hesitate to wear as well.

OTOH, I once bought a very expensive pair of jeans that were decorated with Walt Disney characters.  They are a lot of fun but even though they were expensive and very attractive, I wouldn't consider wearing them to dinner on Oceania.

Mura

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

How about things that are denim, or appear to be, but are not 'jeans'?  Years ago, on a cruise that visited cooler climes, I got a lot of wear out of a denim ankle length skirt, with a denim jacket that just happened to match.  Loved that skirt, because as the cruise (26 days) went on, the waist got looser, so I could tell I was losing weight...  I also have a couple of skorts that appear to be denim but are really french terry... One is white, and has been worn to dinner on occasion.  EM

I would like to modify my earlier comment.  I think any PANTS made from denim are a no-no but I don't think that would apply to a skirt.

I would say "ixnay" to skorts, which honestly are one of the silliest, last century things around.  Why women golfers wear them is beyond me.  Protest, I say 🙂

Actually, skorts are the most comfortable item to wear!  No need to worry about skirts flying up and being exposed. I'm not a shorts person.  In a skort, I dont have to worry on stairs or how I sit. 

Not so last century either. Check Chicos, talbots and a lot of other up to date clothiers. Try them, you'll like them!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrammieK said:

Actually, skorts are the most comfortable item to wear!  No need to worry about skirts flying up and being exposed. I'm not a shorts person.  In a skort, I dont have to worry on stairs or how I sit. 

Not so last century either. Check Chicos, talbots and a lot of other up to date clothiers. Try them, you'll like them!

I think we're talking dinner time so I wouldn't think skorts would do it but I don't care a lot.  From the back they look like what they are - shorts...with a flap in front.

54 minutes ago, clo said:

I think we're talking dinner time so I wouldn't think skorts would do it but I don't care a lot.  From the back they look like what they are - shorts...with a flap in front.

Not necessarily.  Mine look like a short/above knee skirt.  Unless I show them, they don't know there are shorts beneath.  EM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Not necessarily.  Mine look like a short/above knee skirt.  Unless I show them, they don't know there are shorts beneath.  EM

From the back, don't they look like shorts?  Also I've only seen them as cover the butt, not above the knee.  Perhaps there's more than one kind.

I didn't mean in the dining room evening attire. Sorry if I confused. I was responding to "silliest thing around". From the back, they don't look like shorts. They are actually a skirt with shorts underneath. So comfy and look a little nicer than shorts. 

• Thanks 1

I think they'd be okay for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner.  I'm not the judge and jury so TPTB might accept them at dinner time ... but if I WERE the judge and jury, I don't think I would.  They'd be fine for dinner in Terrace.

Just my opinion.

Mura

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mura said:

I think they'd be okay for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner.  I'm not the judge and jury so TPTB might accept them at dinner time ... but if I WERE the judge and jury, I don't think I would.  They'd be fine for dinner in Terrace.

Just my opinion.

Mura

That was what I should have written.  Dinner.  Thanks as always.

Just to be clear...I probably would not wear it to the GDR in the evening...or at all.  Why?  Because I can't predict the temp in the GDR and prefer to wear longer pants or a skirt, midi or long.  I do have the darker one with the scalloped hem in white and have worn it to the MDR on another line.  If I take shorts, I reserve them for going ashore (in the Caribbean).  Capris, long pants (not jeans), skirts or dresses around the ship.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Just to be clear...I probably would not wear it to the GDR in the evening...or at all.  Why?  Because I can't predict the temp in the GDR and prefer to wear longer pants or a skirt, midi or long.  I do have the darker one with the scalloped hem in white and have worn it to the MDR on another line.  If I take shorts, I reserve them for going ashore (in the Caribbean).  Capris, long pants (not jeans), skirts or dresses around the ship.  EM

Good reasons, Essiesmom ... but as I said before, I don't think anyone would blink if you wore them to a dining venue earlier in the day or Terrace at night.

Lots of women wear slacks of various kinds to the main evening dining venues with a sparkly top or just an ordinarily "nice" top. Some wear pants suits, even today.  (Lots of political ladies wear them even now I have noticed.)  I have long skirts and palazzo pants that I typically wear in a dining venue with a nice but not sparkly top.  I've never been sent home to change.

Mura

• Like 1

Oceania Dress Code

In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country club casual dress code. Shorts, jeans, T-shirts, athletic footwear and sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room or specialty restaurants. As the Terrace Cafe exudes a resort-casual ambience, dressy shorts and casual shirts may be worn in the evenings. Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of the onboard restaurants at any time.

So basically, as long as you’re not in tank tops and swimsuits in the restaurants for breakfast or lunch, you’re fine. Jeans would be totally acceptable. You should make note that guest washers and dryers are available on board and easy to use, so you could pack less and do laundry at least once.

Of course, laundry and dry cleaning services are available, but these are a bit pricey, particularly if you opt for the 50 percent surcharge to receive your clothes back on the same day. Dry cleaning a blouse, for example, for same-day return would cost you $15.75 with the surcharge, $10.50 if you can wait an extra day.

15 hours ago, Mura said:

Good reasons, Essiesmom ... but as I said before, I don't think anyone would blink if you wore them to a dining venue earlier in the day or Terrace at night.

Lots of women wear slacks of various kinds to the main evening dining venues with a sparkly top or just an ordinarily "nice" top. Some wear pants suits, even today.  (Lots of political ladies wear them even now I have noticed.)  I have long skirts and palazzo pants that I typically wear in a dining venue with a nice but not sparkly top.  I've never been sent home to change.

Mura

I certainly hope you're not sent home. That's a LONG trip back to the ship LOL!

1 hour ago, keithm said:

The ones I wear, however look fresh from the box & not 20 years old.

Bob has various ones and, yes, the new looking ones are the travel ones.  Those old ones are great for yard work 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve only cruised Celebrity. So I went to Oceania’s web site, it wasn’t as detailed as I would have appreciated, I googled what they referenced and have a general idea but have a few specific questions. If you do respond to me, can you keep it polite please. I genuinely am curious and want to bring the right stuff.  If you need more info let me know. And thanks in advance 😉 

1. Capris, I understand  are ok ...... is that day and night?  More importantly, Is anyone familiar with Lululemon capris?  around the ship are those ok? They are fitted. Any location/ time restrictions?

2. can you wear sporty tank tops? Again referencing lulu attire.  If so are any hours or locations excluded from sporty tank tops. I’m just assuming dressy tank tops paired with a skirt are ok. If not please let me know

3. Cover ups, can you walk around the ship in a cover up? Any locations or time exclusions?

4. Are Cocktail dresses allowed that are strapless and are there any length restrictions? I mean like ones somewhat above the knee but Not looking like your are wearing a belt around your behind.

5. Are sporty shorts allowed. Again same question any time or location exclusions. 

Celebrity has a dress code. I stick to it it’s changed a lot in the last few years.  I just want to be dressed appropriately. I feel Oceania is a step up for us. 

1 hour ago, Bootstrap77 said:

We’ve only cruised Celebrity. So I went to Oceania’s web site, it wasn’t as detailed as I would have appreciated, I googled what they referenced and have a general idea but have a few specific questions. If you do respond to me, can you keep it polite please. I genuinely am curious and want to bring the right stuff.  If you need more info let me know. And thanks in advance 😉 

1. Capris, I understand  are ok ...... is that day and night?  More importantly, Is anyone familiar with Lululemon capris?  around the ship are those ok? They are fitted. Any location/ time restrictions?

I would think they are OK for daytime  though I have seen ladies in  what I call leggings  in the evening with a long top

2. can you wear sporty tank tops? Again referencing lulu attire.  If so are any hours or locations excluded from sporty tank tops. I’m just assuming dressy tank tops paired with a skirt are ok. If not please let me know

day wear is fine for sporty T's    dress silk ones with nice slacks/skirt would work for dinner/evening wear

3. Cover ups, can you walk around the ship in a cover up? Any locations or time exclusions?

cannot wear them to dining venues other than Waves Grill

4. Are Cocktail dresses allowed that are strapless and are there any length restrictions? I mean like ones somewhat above the knee but Not looking like your are wearing a belt around your behind.

of course Cocktail dresses are allowed   also ball gowns if you like

5. Are sporty shorts allowed. Again same question any time or location exclusions. 

not in GDR or Specialties for dinner ..fine elsewhere

Celebrity has a dress code. I stick to it it’s changed a lot in the last few years.  I just want to be dressed appropriately. I feel Oceania is a step up for us. 

JMO

I am sure others will have  more comments

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1