Trip Insurance

BeagleAgility

I am scheduled for a cruise at the end of February 2020. I have never gotten the trip insurance (no judgements please and have never needed it).

My question is this - I have a family illness happening. The timeframe of length is unknown - could be 6 months (end of February) - could be 1 year.

Does the trip insurance cover if a family member passes away and you cannot make the cruise?

Thanks.

Depends on the policy and whether they would seem it ineligible due to pre existing conditions. Usually you need to buy cancellation insurance within a couple of weeks of booking the cruise for pre existing coverage. Otherwise, most cancellation policies cover death of an immediate relative. 

There is an insurance board on the forum that might help. Or go to an online travel insurance broker like insuremytrip or squaremouth to find policies that cover your needs. Be sure to understand both the coverage limits and the exclusions.

The ones I have had have covered family illnesses, though there could be a question if it is a distant relative.  You would have to ask the insurance company when you buy it.  There are some time limits, i.e. pre-existing conditions are only covered if you buy it within a certain amount of time from reservation in some cases.  So check out what you buying and make sure it will cover your situation.  In light of the circumstances, this time I would definitely buy the insurance.

No judgment here, but we have always bought it.  One time we knew that our traveling companions had some family health issues and we even bought to "covers everything" insurance which cost a lot.  Unfortunately, the other family's health issue turned into a death in the family.  However, the tour company for our land tour in Ireland just pushed everything back by a year, the airline credited everything without an argument at all, and the one hotel where we had a pre-paid reservation allowed us to cancel under the circumstances.  So ultimately there was no claim made!  In our case, DW's mother is quite elderly and we have to be prepared.  A good friend is a TA and she has seen several instances where people did not have the insurance and got stuck.  Luckily we were not on a cruise that one time, and I don't know what the cruise line would have done particularly because it was within a couple of weeks of departure.

More importantly, I sympathize with your family illness and hope for the best for you.

The other problem you are going to run into is that insurance is to cover "unforeseen" events.  This non-traveling family members illness is no longer an unforeseen event. That can be a tricky definition in the clauses.

As Sparks stated, you really need to contact a broker. Either insuremytrip or TripInsuranceStore and actually speak with them. Be straight up with your concerns. They will guide you to the best policy for your situation. 

Just as a matter of information  - no judgement- in the UK you cannot cruise without insurance. 

If, for example,  you need a medical airlift off the ship, the cruise line needs to know that you will have the necessary funds to pay the $100k+ cost involved.

There are US policies that cover pre-existing conditions if they are purchased at or before final payment. Insuremytrip.com will help you find them. You might only find one or two and they will cost more than a policy covering pre-existing conditions if bought at initial down payment.

I have always purchased travel insurance, thankfully have never used it.  Over 35 cruises and many land tours so have donated a lot to insurance companies.  On my first cruise many years ago a very fit young lady tripped over a broken gutter edge at a lookout, broken ankle and had to be flow home to Australia from South Pacific.  Our government department, which deals with travel has as its motto.  If you can’t afford insurance you can’t afford to travel,  just saying.

Sorry about your family member's illness

You really need to talk to someone from a site like InsureMyTrip.com, Squaremouth.com or whomever you are considering purchasing trip insurance from.  Keep in mind that the best rate and coverage, especially for your situation would have been when you booked your trip but that point is now moot.

We always purchase trip insurance for any travel we do because you just never know.   Good luck

Travel insurance, depending on plan converge, covers a wide range of situations and financial risk (which is really the bottom line) from air and cruise cost reimbursement pre trip, to trip interruption issues and medical situations during the trip.  It is fortunate to be able to say one never has needed it, but when you might need it is impossible to predict.  There is never any way to know ahead of time what may happen next that would be an issue requiring the protection offered by the plans.

No judgement, but IMO I just believe that (with anything in life) it is better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

And to the OP, if there is an issue occurring now that could affect your February cruise on which you already placed a deposit, unless you are with 21 days of that deposit it likely is too late to get insurance protection that will cover the situation you indicated as that would now be considered a pre-existing (family member) condition.  And if you are within that 21 day deposit time frame you may want to act quickly regarding purchasing insurance that will cover pre-existing conditions.

Otherwise you may want to weigh your options regarding cancelling altogether v risking a post final payment cancellation down the road.  I would talk with the cruise line or your TA (if you used one) regarding your options.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

unless you are with 21 days of that deposit it likely is too late to get insurance protection that will cover the situation you indicated as that would now be considered a pre-existing (family member) condition.  And if you are within that 21 day deposit time frame you may want to act quickly regarding purchasing insurance that will cover pre-existing conditions

I did a trial booking on insuremytrip, looking for pre-existing conditions coverage for a cruise in February 2020 booked about 3 months ago (so before final payment but booked long enough ago to be outside of a reasonable "just booked" window) and found five policies with pre-existing condition waivers for about 7-10% of the trip cost assuming two travelers aged 60 and 70. 

It's important to read and understand the detailed language for the trip cancellation and trip interruption benefits and the pre-existing condition waiver. If there's a difference in the language between two policies assume that that language difference will factor into a benefit decision.

Edited by Underwatr

18 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I did a trial booking on insuremytrip, looking for pre-existing conditions coverage for a cruise in February 2020 booked about 3 months ago (so before final payment but booked long enough ago to be outside of a reasonable "just booked" window) and found five policies with pre-existing condition waivers for about 7-10% of the trip cost assuming two travelers aged 60 and 70. 

It's important to read and understand the detailed language for the trip cancellation and trip interruption benefits and the pre-existing condition waiver. If there's a difference in the language between two policies assume that that language difference will factor into a benefit decision.

I agree with, and understand your response.  But just to clarify my timing statements, the cruise insurer that I am familiar with (and believe it is similar with other carriers) has a requirement that a trip policy issued to include coverage for pre-existing conditions needs to be purchased within 21 days of placing a deposit on a booking.  Beyond that time frame, they will still issue coverage (with purchase by final payment) to insure the trip, but will do so with an exclusion for pre-existing conditions.  So the timing indicated is in reference solely to coverage that includes pre-existing conditions.

Yes, that's typical, I understand. But if you shop among more suppliers you can find a policy with a pre-existing condition waiver available up to final payment (as I did, and I found five such policies from numerous suppliers).

I believe in addition that a policy with a waiver available at final payment will cost more than a similar policy with a waiver available only within a window of initial deposit. 

I sometimes book a cruise only to cancel that booking in the months running up to final payment, so waiting until final payment to book insurance with a pre-existing condition waiver accommodates that habit. The higher price I pay for that insurance is fair to me.

10 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Yes, that's typical, I understand. But if you shop among more suppliers you can find a policy with a pre-existing condition waiver available up to final payment (as I did, and I found five such policies from numerous suppliers).

I believe in addition that a policy with a waiver available at final payment will cost more than a similar policy with a waiver available only within a window of initial deposit. 

I sometimes book a cruise only to cancel that booking in the months running up to final payment, so waiting until final payment to book insurance with a pre-existing condition waiver accommodates that habit. The higher price I pay for that insurance is fair to me.

Yeah there are a lot of varying conditions with different carriers.  And it would seem that if you book a cruise at or after final payment date, the pre-existing coverage if offered would still be available, but just payable with the booking and full payment to the cruise line.

I have found what seems  me to be a policy for which I can purchase insurance within that initial time period but only need to insure for the minimum amount. Then I can increase the coverage when I make final payment. You only need to cover the nonrefundable portion at any given time. 

On 9/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

I agree with, and understand your response.  But just to clarify my timing statements, the cruise insurer that I am familiar with (and believe it is similar with other carriers) has a requirement that a trip policy issued to include coverage for pre-existing conditions needs to be purchased within 21 days of placing a deposit on a booking.  Beyond that time frame, they will still issue coverage (with purchase by final payment) to insure the trip, but will do so with an exclusion for pre-existing conditions.  So the timing indicated is in reference solely to coverage that includes pre-existing conditions.

It is VERY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THE TERMS OF *YOUR* PARTICULAR POLICY (or those you are considering).

There are lots of "terms" being stated in various posts above, some of which are not valid in all states, or that have different terms in some states... or where there are just other policies from other insurers with very different terms.

In particular, that "21 day" window is shorter for some policies/states.  It won't help if someone waits until the 21st day after making a payment to ask about coverage if what is available "to you" requires a shorter window.

Also, there is at least one 3rd-party insurer (in some/most states?) that will offer coverage for pre-existing conditions if the policy is first started within 24 hours of the FINAL payment (defined narrowly, of course).

And some policies might exclude some pre-existing conditions for non-traveling family members, but other policies have no such restriction.

I'd strongly suggest that one contact 

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

--> but CALL them.  Don't just rely upon online policy summaries.  The fine print can really matter.

They were a HUGE help to us when we were total newbies about travel insurance, and thanks to those here on CC who recommended them to us!

We've chosen to purchase policies from Travel Insured through TIS, but other policies/insurers might work better for the particular needs of others.

Also, IF there are any difficulties with claims, TIS will help run interference!

For those with family members with current health concerns, ASK TIS about which policy (if any) would work best.

We've had several claims with Travel Insured, and they have paid promptly.  This last time, they did need a little nudge from someone at TIS, which didn't make us happy, but after that, we soon got a check for 5 figures that we just cashed.  (Very elderly MIL landed in the ER with heart trouble just before we were to depart for a month long cruise and land trip.... really bad timing, unfortunately.)

GC

23 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I have found what seems  me to be a policy for which I can purchase insurance within that initial time period but only need to insure for the minimum amount. Then I can increase the coverage when I make final payment. You only need to cover the nonrefundable portion at any given time. 

Right.  Our policies have this, so we just up the coverage when we add more expenses that need to be covered.

Also helpful, for the policy that we tend to get, IF we cancel the trip, if there were no losses, then we can transfer the policy (including all premiums paid!) to another trip, within certain time limits.

GC

41 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

It is VERY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THE TERMS OF *YOUR* PARTICULAR POLICY (or those you are considering).

There are lots of "terms" being stated in various posts above, some of which are not valid in all states, or that have different terms in some states... or where there are just other policies from other insurers with very different terms.

In particular, that "21 day" window is shorter for some policies/states.  It won't help if someone waits until the 21st day after making a payment to ask about coverage if what is available "to you" requires a shorter window.

Agree completely.  But as you are quoting me,  just to note in my response I indicated that the terms I was describing was for a single carrier that I was familiar with which naturally would be in the state in which I reside - certainly not intended as a blanket statement for all. 

More to the point it seemed to me that the OP had never purchased insurance before but now felt with a cruise already booked that he might need it due to a family issue that could jeopardize his cruise.  I was trying to convey that it may not be as simple as he hoped as - which you clearly point out - there are numerous policies and conditions that may or may not allow him to get the coverage he desires.

In other words, as you indicate, one needs to research and compare what is offered in the state where they reside to understand the options and limitations available to them.

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Agree completely.  But as you are quoting me,  just to note in my response I indicated that the terms I was describing was for a single carrier that I was familiar with which naturally would be in the state in which I reside - certainly not intended as a blanket statement for all. 

More to the point it seemed to me that the OP had never purchased insurance before but now felt with a cruise already booked that he might need it due to a family issue that could jeopardize his cruise.  I was trying to convey that it may not be as simple as he hoped as - which you clearly point out - there are numerous policies and conditions that may or may not allow him to get the coverage he desires.

In other words, as you indicate, one needs to research and compare what is offered in the state where they reside to understand the options and limitations available to them.

Very sorry if my phrasing of "There are lots of "terms" being stated in various posts above" wasn't clear enough.  I added that in, precisely because of my concern that my comments were much more general than about your comment.

There is so much confusion about this, and it's non-trivial to learn/understand all of the types of choices, before even dealing with what the various sub=choices are, etc.!

And it can matter SO MUCH!

Cheers!

GC

15 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Very sorry if my phrasing of "There are lots of "terms" being stated in various posts above" wasn't clear enough.  I added that in, precisely because of my concern that my comments were much more general than about your comment.

There is so much confusion about this, and it's non-trivial to learn/understand all of the types of choices, before even dealing with what the various sub=choices are, etc.!

And it can matter SO MUCH!

Cheers!

GC

No issue at all and I agree completely with both of your posts.  Just wanted to clarify the intent of my response.

Have a good weekend!