Pros and Cons of Future Cruise Deposits

Daniel A

Two major benefits.  You get OBC by using them to book a future cruise.  Varies by length of cruise but we are getting $100 each on an upcoming 16 day SA cruise. 

Also you can use your FCC as your deposit on any cruise.  Generally much less than the cash deposit that would be required.

Sure Princess holds your money but how much interest are you currently getting on $100.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No Cons only Pros. If not used automatically refunded in two years or on request before that time. Deposits only $100 for most cruises and includes OBC. FCD's are charged directly to your credit or debit card, not to your on board account.

Terms and Conditions

Thank you for choosing Princess Cruises.
This letter confirms that we have received payment for deposit* in the amount of 100.00 USD towards a
future cruise with Princess.When you have decided on your next cruise, please contact your travel agent to arrange your booking. Your travel agent will assist you with final payment schedule, and any questions, additions or changes you might have regarding your cruise. You may also contact Princess directly by calling 1-800-PRINCESS.
Upon making your new booking, the appropriate shipboard credit will be applied.*
Future Cruise Length
Per Person Shipboard Credit*

17 - 44 Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite
11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite,

7 - 10 Days, $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite 3 - 6 Days, $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

Fine Print

* This letter has been issued from the Future Cruise Sales Department for a Future Cruise Deposit (“FCD”) in the amount specified above. The
FCD is available to use on new future bookings only and is non-transferable. The FCD currency is non-changeable. The FCD is combinable with most publicly offered fares and promotions. The FCD will be automatically refunded if not applied to a new booking created within two years from date of purchase. Once applied to a booking the FCD is considered money and is subject to booking terms and conditions in the Passage contract. Only one FCD per person applied to a booking will provide shipboard credit. Shipboard credit is nonrefundable and only applicable to each FCD purchased and applies to the holder of the FCD only, excluding 3rd and 4th berth guests. Shipboard credit is based on the ship’s onboard currency and is not redeemable for cash. FCDs do not apply to bookings on Charter voyages. Reduced deposit and onboard credits do not apply to bookings 45+ days. The reduced deposit requirement for these bookings may vary based on booking dates, and a fare discount of 3% is provided. To make your next booking, please contact your Travel Agent, or Princess Cruises at 1-800-PRINCESS.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't imagine not purchasing FCD. On our last cruise we purchased 3 each - we already had 2 cruises booked using FCD (not counting the one we were on) and one "extra" FCD each on hand. Not long ago we booked a B2B2B in Australia/New Zealand for next fall. Now we're down to one FCD each and will purchase more next month when we cruise. What is not to like about them? We get to book with the $100 FCD as our deposits and we get free OBC for doing so. If we don't use them (Hah! Not like that is likely to happen!) we get the money back. All we "may" have lost is the "interest" (yeah, right...) we may have earned on that money.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

I agree. We keep at least 6 on hand.

Six is quite a few but you cruise more than most folks. I would imagine that is also one reason your TA gives you such a great discount. Nice to be able to cruise a lot and to get a great discount. We don't cruise nearly as much but we do get a discount from our TA - albeit not as good as you get. 😀

• Like 1

We generally like to keep 2 on hand.  As far as discounts by using cruise agencies, we generally save about 10% (sometimes more) on every Princess booking when we give it to one or our favored cruise agencies.  The savings can be in the form of generous OBCs, pre paid gratuities, or we can usually get a discounted cruise rate coupled with a lower OBC.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I've never purchased Future Cruise Deposits before and I'm interested in finding out what the benefits and pitfalls are connected with the program.  We are on the fence about purchasing them on our next cruise.

On board the Crown now.   I did 10 FCD’s and use them to use as refundable deposits on 10 future cruises for 2020.  It’s a placeholder for the cabins and locations I want.   Even if I only actually take 2-4 cruises in 2020.   The remainder FCD’s get refunded back to me if I do not use them within 2 years.

Well you guys must be princess loyalists then.  My issue  is that we are spreading our wings with the next two being RCL and looking at maybe a high end after that.  If FCD were good for longer it might be different.  The next RCL cruise we are booked on,  we used a FCD that we purchased 6 years ago.  Yes I know Princess refunds the money and RCL does not but I figure I would eventually use it.

2 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Well you guys must be princess loyalists then.  My issue  is that we are spreading our wings with the next two being RCL and looking at maybe a high end after that.  If FCD were good for longer it might be different.  The next RCL cruise we are booked on,  we used a FCD that we purchased 6 years ago.  Yes I know Princess refunds the money and RCL does not but I figure I would eventually use it.

Thanks for that, about to try RCCL for the first time, normally have a FCD with Princess, if we like Royal will have to grab one.

Only drawback I can think of is that if we have too many FCDs, I book too many cruises and my wife gets flustrated (I know, not a real word). She likes to mix in plenty of land trips and take spontaneous trips instead of having everything booked out for 18 months.

Jim

• Like 1

Con - to those who may want to book a cabin where another cruiser is hoarding cabins by using a FCD as a placeholder for an extended period of time

revamp the FCD program , limiting using a $100 FCD as a placeholder until final payment, for a cruise more than a year out ...

at the one year point, you cancel or put up the regular deposit required

Any FCD used to book a cruise inside of a year is completely NON-refundable and NON-transferable ... STRICTLY ENFORCED ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wheezedr said:

Two major benefits.  You get OBC by using them to book a future cruise.  Varies by length of cruise but we are getting $100 each on an upcoming 16 day SA cruise. 

Also you can use your FCC as your deposit on any cruise.  Generally much less than the cash deposit that would be required.

Sure Princess holds your money but how much interest are you currently getting on $100.

On a World Cruise or a segment of a WC, they give a discount.

• Like 2

Am I to understand that if you book a cruise using FCD and you back out, it is automatically refundable?  I get that If you don't use it within two years they refund the deposit, but if you apply it to a reservation and back out of that reservation, it is refunded back to you?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Am I to understand that if you book a cruise using FCD and you back out, it is automatically refundable?  I get that If you don't use it within two years they refund the deposit, but if you apply it to a reservation and back out of that reservation, it is refunded back to you?

Depends on the terms of your booking, I used one to book my Hawaii round trip, doctor suggested I not go, I lost it.

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Am I to understand that if you book a cruise using FCD and you back out, it is automatically refundable? 

I get that If you don't use it within two years they refund the deposit, but if you apply it to a reservation and back out of that reservation, it is refunded back to you?

If you back out before final payment the FCD is normally returned to your account for use for a future cruise and expires on the original date. It can be refunded if you request it to be refunded.  Once you are past final payment you are subject to the normal cancellation penalties shown in the passage contract.

There is an exception when cancelling before final payment. If you book using a promotion that has a non-refundable deposit then you risk losing the $100 deposit. However, booking the same promo without an FCD, you risk losing the 10% deposit.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you booked a cruise where the fine print stated non refundable deposit then you would not get it back.     If no fine print then yes you would get it put back to use it again or move it to another cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Con - to those who may want to book a cabin where another cruiser is hoarding cabins by using a FCD as a placeholder for an extended period of time

revamp the FCD program , limiting using a $100 FCD as a placeholder until final payment, for a cruise more than a year out ...

at the one year point, you cancel or put up the regular deposit required

Any FCD used to book a cruise inside of a year is completely NON-refundable and NON-transferable ... STRICTLY ENFORCED ...

See no benefit to that.....if you snooze you loose!!!

Princess is more than fair about the FCC. I just got an email from princess reminding me I had a FCC. My bad, since I didn’t even know I had one ! Of course this led to booking another cruise for 2021. I have never booked a cruise this far out, but am excites to see Norway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

I'm looking at a cruise in 2021 and it looks like almost all of the cabins I would like are not available.  Are a good number of these 'placeholders'?  I probably won't be in a position to reserve that cruise until late winter/early spring of 2020.  Do you think these may come available at  a later date?