Needlepoint/Coffee Chat

katz

Does Princess have the above activity on sea days?  Another line we sail on does, and they provide cute little kits.  I was looking on Ebay and noticed a kit with "Princess Cruises" in the pattern.

Princess has the Knitters and Natters meetings in the mornings. My wife often attends. There is sewing of all kinds and morning jabber. My wife always gets a coffee. The meeting times are in the Patter. Sometimes Princess puts them in a weird venue but other times they are in Crooner's which works very well in the mornings as there is plenty of light and good seating for everybody to make a sewing circle or whatever. On ships with Adagio it has been scheduled there many times. People bring their own projects - I don't believe Princess provides anything. My wife takes her tatting as it's small and easy to take along on trips. Mostly it's women but I have been on a couple of cruises where a man or even two joined the group with their project.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Apparently, there have been a couple times someone brought a number of kits for others to do. (According to the all knowing)  she says most often, it is do what you bring as there are knitters, crocheters, quilters, cross stitchers, hook latchers, etc at this party. 

I, for one, have no concept of a Natter. 

4 hours ago, katz said:

Does Princess have the above activity on sea days?  Another line we sail on does, and they provide cute little kits.  I was looking on Ebay and noticed a kit with "Princess Cruises" in the pattern.

Princess used to hand those out to passengers back in the day.........cross stitch kits with a Seawitch and the other had a seashell. Not that I know about that stuff. Heard it from a friend. 😁

I have attended. I usually have a sock, lace beaded shawl and fingerless gloves projects. Depending how chatty the group is will drive what I will work on. 😊  I do have a lot of cute cross stitch kits that I can bring on my next cruise to share. 

I wish there was a digital scrapbooking group.  I would love to attend. 

Edited by Rusty10

I've usually seen the knitting group listed in the Patter at 9:00 am on sea days. They may not have it on a cruise with only one sea day, but I've usually seen it on cruises with several sea days.

Ask at Passenger Services. If they had not planned on listing it, they will assign a space and list it if a passenger requests it. Also, if the place they assign is not large enough, does not have enough light, or has another meeting too soon afterwards, go to Passenger Services and ask for a different location.

I've seen it listed in several different locations. One problem is when it's in a small venue and another group is scheduled after it, since the knitters tend to stay there until lunch. The best location I have seen for it was Skywalker's - good light and lots of room. Skywalker's is large enough they can have another group there at the same time without a problem.

On a recent cruise, the knitters were in Skywalker's  at 10:00 am and the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet was there at 11:00 am. No problem, since the Cruise Critic group went to one side and the knitters were at another. It was the first time DW showed up at a Cruise Critic group - since she was already in Skywalker's with the knitters.

BTW, they did not provide bar service for the knitting group in Skywalker's (unless another group was there that had it). I had to go to a bar on another deck to get coffee for DW.

Edited by NavyVeteran

I had a bad car accident years ago and damage my right arm, can’t crochet or knit anymore but I can still do Cross stitch. Maybe I should bring a cheapie Crosstitch or embroidery kit with me. I already have a Halloween horror coloring book I’m bringing.  One of my sisters likes to color with me. We used to do Crosstitch together but  she manages an LA library and never has time. ☹️   i’ve never been real good at just sitting still. I need my iPad or something else to do...

I am so glad other crafters cruise. 

• Like 1

My favorite place for this is Crooners. I’ve been on cruises where it was in a dining room or Skywalkers - a bunch of us always end up in Crooners. It has the best light and lots of foot traffic. People always stop by to see what everyone is working on.

Princess used to sell needlepoint kits but I haven’t seen those for quite some time.

It’s up to the CD whether to schedule an  unhosted crafts get-together. It used to be all kinds of different names but for the last several years, it’s been consistent with “Knitters and Natters.” 

Sometimes  held in Skywalker’s, sometimes in Crooners, sometimes in Club 6, sometimes somewhere else. Depends on the ship and the CD. Most CDs don’t have a clue that you need space, natural light and a table so I’ve seen them schedule the get-together in lounges with few tables and little natural light. 

Usually held only on sea days but I’ve found that often, if people have a late tour or aren’t planning to get off in port, they show up anyway.

People share patterns, yarn, needles, scissors, hooks, etc. The Passenger Services Desk with make copies of a pattern for you. Sometimes, people bring kits to give (sell) but Princess frowns on passengers selling anything to each other.