TA or direct booking

TrustMeI'mANurse

Sorry to hear that... All I can say is I just give my TA the info on the cruise and stateroom, and ask what they can do for me. was a little surprised myself.  Have done business with this particular agent/agency for several cruises, so that may be the difference?

No doubt, using a TA absolutely works for some but not for others.  For a few years, I did book through a TA but after experiencing three problems, I changed and started booking directly with the cruiselines.   

• The first was a TA who was resistant to dealing with price drops.  When a cruise dropped the price and we were offered an adjustment, not a problem - - but when it dropped significantly a second time after a major itinerary change ,  the agent expressed her reluctance at having to deal with the second drop and - I assume - a reduction in commission. 
  • The second problem I experienced was a TA who simply didn't return phone calls for a week or more. 
  • The third, and worst situation, was when a large agency (Cruise Value Center in New Jersey) I had used a few times took the final payments of many passengers (including me) earlier than they actually were due but pocketed the money instead of paying the cruiselines and then immediately went out of business, leaving us "high and dry".  Those who had paid by check lost  their money and those of us who paid with cards were able to work with the CC companies to get credit. We also had to contact the cruiselines and re-book.  Many of the senior agents in that crooked company (because they acted intentionally, this wasn't due to some unforeseen circumstance) simply moved to a nearby community and opened a new agency under a different name that still is in operation.  I don't know the extent to which they may have been aware of, or involved with, the scheme but there is no way I'd ever book with that company. 

Of course, I have no doubt that the vast majority of TA's are honest and credible people so in no way do I mean to impugn broadly all TA's.  Friends with whom we sometimes travel use an agency that offers onboard credit and a couple of other small perks such as a gift basket in the room or a bottle of wine.  It seems to work for them and they are very pleased with the service.   And, the travel group in the community in which I live uses someone who seems to be a very good agent to book group trips.  But, after my three incidents, I started booking directly, am in total control of my booking, make changes when I want, am able to watch and immediately respond to price drops, and don't have to work through someone else.  I realize I may be losing some onboard credits and such but it works for me.  Plus, I would not want an agent to have to deal with repeated requests...not fair to them!

On 9/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, TrustMeI'mANurse said:

I'm just not finding that kind of return. When we booked Celebrity and spent around 10k (on 3 rooms) we got about 10% in a warehouse club card.  When we booked Celebrity with a large online agent we got about 10% OBC. Looking around with MCL we're looking at a return of about 3% on a YC suite. I was kind of surprised.

Keep looking. 10% OBC is not too hard to find. I have received it for a YC suite in the last 7 days.