Cruise Critic Community
the_dylaness

Alternative to buffet on embarkation lunch?

Hello,

We are sailing as a party of five (including 5 and 8 year old) in February.  

Last time our group went, we sailed CC which was nice because of the sit down lunch.  A crowded buffet with small kids is not a great start to my cruise experience.

We downgraded our reservation from CC/AQ to regular verandahs because of the continued chipping away at CC/AQ perks for the price. 

The one thing I think we will really miss is the embarkation day lunch.

What other venues will be open on Equinox?  I am assuming Sushi on Five will be open and not crowded- that's what I'm planning on.  Anywhere else to consider?

Thanks!

Also, the online menu for SO5 only shows appetizers and sushi- I thought I recall them having some hot items as well?  My 5 year old will try many things but not sure if an all-sushi lunch is going to cut it.

How early are you arriving at the port? We arrived early and it felt like we had the buffet all to ourselves. Our table was close to the food and we didn't feel rushed at all. I know embarkation buffets on other cruise lines (Royal Caribbean Windjammer comes to mind) are notorious for being chaotic on the first day, but you might be surprised by Celebrity.

We can arrive at the port at any time- maybe the buffet won’t be too crazy? What time did you go?

Maybe we will split up-  Mast grill ok for the kids (I am not a hamburger kinda girl) did not realize they were open.  Good to know! I love aqua spa cafe but kids not allowed in solarium..

thanks everyone!

34 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

We can arrive at the port at any time- maybe the buffet won’t be too crazy? What time did you go?

Maybe we will split up-  Mast grill ok for the kids (I am not a hamburger kinda girl) did not realize they were open.  Good to know! I love aqua spa cafe but kids not allowed in solarium..

thanks everyone!

There really won't be anything for the kids to eat at the Aqua Spa Cafe.  It's basically for adults who pretend to want to eat healthy.  😁

Kids allowed to eat at the AQ Cafe, but not swim in the pool.  They would probably enjoy the burgers, fries, and hot dogs at the Mast Grill. 

When we first get on the ship we have headed to the pool area and we were nearly the only ones there, so eating at the Mast Grill should be uncrowded.  Then you can enjoy the pool to yourselves, too!

I guess this is a reasonable place to ask this question; is Blu open for lunch on embarkation day? This will be our first Aqua cruise (it was less than $10pp/pd more than verandah, so we gave it a shot).

Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I guess this is a reasonable place to ask this question; is Blu open for lunch on embarkation day? This will be our first Aqua cruise (it was less than $10pp/pd more than verandah, so we gave it a shot).

Thanks in advance.

Blu is never open for lunch.  That includes embarkation day.  Blu is open for breakfast and dinner.

Regarding Sushi on 5, my recollection is that they still offer the beef sliders.  If so that may be an option for the kiddos.

Why not leave having lunch until after 1pm then head to the buffet as everyone else heads to their rooms?

If you board significantly before 1pm enjoy a walk around the ship, put swimwear in your hand luggage, make the most of your drinks package...

Try the buffet.   It isn’t really as bad as it use to be now that the suite guest have lunch in Liminae and concierge have lunch in the MDR.

Doesn’t seem to be anything to worry about or be concerned with, they won’t run out of food and after 12:30 or so the buffet  thins out.   

You could always get a slice of pizza, burger or a pastry from Cafe al Bacio to hold you over until then if needed.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

20 hours ago, MightyMike said:

How early are you arriving at the port? We arrived early and it felt like we had the buffet all to ourselves. Our table was close to the food and we didn't feel rushed at all. I know embarkation buffets on other cruise lines (Royal Caribbean Windjammer comes to mind) are notorious for being chaotic on the first day, but you might be surprised by Celebrity.

In the past we have had to sit outside the Ocean View Cafe as the only available table was there. It’s always hectic in my experience. We tend to board at 11.30 am.

Edited by upwarduk

It's been our experience across many ships and cruise lines that buffet really empties out once cabins become available, usually 1 - 1:30pm.  If you can't wait that long grab a table poolside,  get something from grill for kids, and let parents alternate fetching food from buffet.