Two weeks in Canada & New England on the revolutionized Summit: my review with photos

Turtles06

On 12/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thank you both for taking the time to read this, and for your very kind words!

As for a favorite port -- Quebec City was certainly the standout (as we expected).   But we were surprised by how much we enjoyed our day in Portland, including the City and Lighthouse Tour with Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours (and the Holy Donuts 😋).   Frankly, except for a couple of shore excursions (the Celebrity shorex we took on P.E.I. and the private tour in Bar Harbor), we really had a good time ashore in all of the ports.  

Happy New Year, and safe travels!

Thanks for your great report and photos. We did this same cruise on the Summit in a corner FV in 2016. It really took us back. Regarding the mirror situation. Was there anywhere for my wife to plug in her own hair dryer near a mirror? Would an extension cord be needed? We've read on other blogs (Not Cruise Critic) that Celebrity put in mirrors over the desks on Millennium after all the complaints.

Thanks again.

Were booked for the September 23, 2020 New England/Canada Cruise on Summit from Boston so I've really enjoyed your exceptional review and plan to read through it again closer to our sail date.  Many of the questions I may have had about our upcoming cruise were answered in your review and/or photos.  One thing I don't recall seeing that I'm curious about is what the policy on cigar smoking is on Summit?  While I'm not a  "smoker" I do enjoy a fine cigar on occasion and wonder if I get the urge is there a designated area on Summit for smoking?

Edited by erlyvon
corrected year of booked cruise to 2020

On 1/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, sasset said:

Regarding the mirror situation. Was there anywhere for my wife to plug in her own hair dryer near a mirror? Would an extension cord be needed?

The issue wasn’t the hair dryer, which was portable, it was the lack of an outlet anywhere near a mirror.  With a long extension cord, you could use the mirror behind the front door. Perhaps the ship would give you such a cord. I will tell you that when we went through security in Cape Liberty, they were going to confiscate my very short extension cord that I need on some ships where the outlets are too recessed for some charging blocks.  I had to get a supervisor to intervene. 

We sailed on the newly renovated Summit in June and again in September in an inside cabin.  There was an outlet for my hairdryer by the desk that had a mirror.  I was able to sit and put on makeup and blow dry my hair. 

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The issue wasn’t the hair dryer, which was portable, it was the lack of an outlet anywhere near a mirror.  With a long extension cord, you could use the mirror behind the front door. Perhaps the ship would give you such a cord. I will tell you that when we went through security in Cape Liberty, they were going to confiscate my very short extension cord that I need on some ships where the outlets are too recessed for some charging blocks.  I had to get a supervisor to intervene. 

Thanks. We're on in October. Maybe they will have added some mirrors by then. Is the wall surface over the desk something that might allow us to stick up a suction mirror?

7 hours ago, hurwitz5 said:

We sailed on the newly renovated Summit in June and again in September in an inside cabin.  There was an outlet for my hairdryer by the desk that had a mirror.  I was able to sit and put on makeup and blow dry my hair. 

Thanks. The issue is in the corner FVs. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, TeeRick said:

Turtles06 - I respectfully have to disagree.  Nothing personal.  It is an opinion.  I enjoy your posts.  But it is my opinion that it is correct that anybody can be a suite guest if they choose to do so.  Many do for many reasons.  Special occasions or anniversaries.  For whatever reason some choose to pay the extra money and others do not.  It says nothing about whether they can afford it or not.  Just their choice.  Is it a class distinction in your opinion if people choose to pay for Aqua Class and dine in Blu?  Or if people sail Concierge Class and get a lunch on embarkation day?  People pay for what they want.  It is a cruise vacation not an economic class distinction.  We are not in the days of Titanic.  Not sure why this keeps being brought up.  A lot of others compare themselves to being in Steerage.  Again we are all very fortunate people affording Celebrity cruising vacations.  Suite or not.

Bravo!   And...….everyone should not get a "participation" trophy, either!

Great Review!  Will be boarding Summit on Tuesday 1/14/2020 on 11 night Dutch Antilles Caribbean cruise!  Looking forward to the new Summit.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 9:37 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate them!    

The main problem at Becky's was the flavorless lobster.  I even tried the meat without the roll --  still no flavor.  But no question that the roll was too much.   I'm not a lobster expert and have no idea why the lobster was flavorless, but it was certainly disappointing.

Your lobster was flavorless because it had been previously frozen. Nearly every restaurant on Portland Waterfront serves lobster. I would suggest Portland Lobster Company.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I'm a bit late to this party BUT I wanted you to know how much I enjoyed your review and comments about the ports since I might be on the Summit this September visiting many of the same ports!  Took copious notes just in case I do get a stateroom on this sold out sailing.  Final payment was two days ago and awaiting word from my friend who is a travel agent and on this sailing.  Fingers crossed!

Donna

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I'm a bit late to this party BUT I wanted you to know how much I enjoyed your review and comments about the ports since I might be on the Summit this September visiting many of the same ports!  Took copious notes just in case I do get a stateroom on this sold out sailing.  Final payment was two days ago and awaiting word from my friend who is a travel agent and on this sailing.  Fingers crossed!

Donna

I’m glad you found this helpful! And thank you for the kindness in letting me know. I do hope something on that cruise opens up for you!  Please let us know. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Wow - it's like re-reading a good book.     We are taking much the same cruise in September 2022 I have re-read from the beginning again and took some good notes.   Especially all the Lobster Roll reviews. 

@Turtles06   It is as good or better of a bing read as when I originally followed along!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

Donna

@GeorgesGalLots of Cabins opened today on the August 31 New England -  Almost every class except Aqua available.   Must have been the date blocked bookings for TA expired.    Been sold out for months.

Quick Link

https://www.celebritycruises.com/booking-cruise/selectRoom/stateroomCategory?pID=SM11N016&sDT=2022-08-31&sCD=SM&sCT=CO&roomQuantity=1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow - it's like re-reading a good book.     We are taking much the same cruise in September 2022 I have re-read from the beginning again and took some good notes.   Especially all the Lobster Roll reviews. 

@Turtles06   It is as good or better of a bing read as when I originally followed along!

Agree and we were on the same cruise with Judith. 

Turtles06, I am on this cruise in September 2022 I have just read your entertaining and informative review and just wanted to say thank you for providing it. I am just in the planning stage and have found your review very helpful.

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow - it's like re-reading a good book. 

10 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree and we were on the same cruise with Judith.

You guys are too kind.  Thank you so much.  Enjoy your cruises!  I'd sure like to do that one again.  I'd be looking at the Summit now if it fit into our schedule. 

24 minutes ago, crystalmilly said:

Turtles06, I am on this cruise in September 2022 I have just read your entertaining and informative review and just wanted to say thank you for providing it. I am just in the planning stage and have found your review very helpful.

Thank you for your kind words!  I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

Wow this is such a fantastic review!!  IMO the best CC cruise review I have ever read on here.  I know it’s from a while ago but I am just seeing it and wanted to say thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Wow this is such a fantastic review!!  IMO the best CC cruise review I have ever read on here.  I know it’s from a while ago but I am just seeing it and wanted to say thank you.

Wow, thank YOU for those incredibly kind words. I really appreciate them.

Looking back at when I wrote this, who could ever have imagined that it would be three more years before these cruises sailed again.  ☹️

I hope everyone sailing this summer and fall has a great a time as we did.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I have read from page one your entire review and took pictures  (too lazy to get up and write it all down) of your well described ports.  I am going end(29) of September, 2022 (out of Cape Liberty on Royals Adventure of the Seas.  Reading your fantastic review on all your ports, which is almost the same,  has given me a great insight I didn't know before.  This will be my first time going to New England .  

Edited by Missymo
  • Thanks 1

I have reposted this review for our 8-31-22  Summit Canada/NE cruise. 

WE have been fortunate to have sailed with Judith and her wife two times, and probably been on 10+ shore excursions with her.  Judith is an expert traveler, and if she puts together a shore excursion for fellow Cruise Critic members to join it will have been thoroughly researched.

I asked her once if she would consider being a travel agent or travel planner.

• Like 1

I started at the end because I read the  report when you first published it here. since I’m also going on the September 21, 2022 Summit to Canada too !! I’m going to start it all over again and take notes! Thank you for bringing it back !! 

• Thanks 1

I have to chime in too!  I read this review prior to our Summit October 2019 cruise and found it very helpful.  We are going again in October of this year and so had to reread and take notes again.  We loved our New England/Canada cruise and am anxious to do it again. Thanks again for your helpful review!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Wow, thank YOU for those incredibly kind words. I really appreciate them.

Looking back at when I wrote this, who could ever have imagined that it would be three more years before these cruises sailed again.  ☹️

I hope everyone sailing this summer and fall has a great a time as we did.

Turtles06,

What a fantastic and extremely comprehensive review of your New England/Canada cruise!!!  BRAVO!!!! 🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳🚢🛳

My wife and I are cruising with another couple on the 12 night September 21, 2022, Summit out of Boston.  I’d love to share your entire review not only with the couple we’re traveling with, but also with the Roll Call for our cruise.  I want to cut and paste into a single document your individual postings and pictures describing everything you did.  By my count, I think there were about 23 postings. Right now, I have no idea how big of a file this would be and whether it would be possible to create a link to it for our Roll Call.  However, before doing this, I wanted to get your permission to put your info and pictures together in this way so it can be shared with others.  I would also post it on this thread.

John