Cruise Critic Community
Turtles06

Two weeks in Canada & New England on the revolutionized Summit: my review with photos

On 12/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thank you both for taking the time to read this, and for your very kind words!

As for a favorite port -- Quebec City was certainly the standout (as we expected).   But we were surprised by how much we enjoyed our day in Portland, including the City and Lighthouse Tour with Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours (and the Holy Donuts 😋).   Frankly, except for a couple of shore excursions (the Celebrity shorex we took on P.E.I. and the private tour in Bar Harbor), we really had a good time ashore in all of the ports.  

Happy New Year, and safe travels!

Thanks for your great report and photos. We did this same cruise on the Summit in a corner FV in 2016. It really took us back. Regarding the mirror situation. Was there anywhere for my wife to plug in her own hair dryer near a mirror? Would an extension cord be needed? We've read on other blogs (Not Cruise Critic) that Celebrity put in mirrors over the desks on Millennium after all the complaints.

Thanks again.

Posted (edited)

Were booked for the September 23, 2020 New England/Canada Cruise on Summit from Boston so I've really enjoyed your exceptional review and plan to read through it again closer to our sail date.  Many of the questions I may have had about our upcoming cruise were answered in your review and/or photos.  One thing I don't recall seeing that I'm curious about is what the policy on cigar smoking is on Summit?  While I'm not a  "smoker" I do enjoy a fine cigar on occasion and wonder if I get the urge is there a designated area on Summit for smoking?

Edited by erlyvon
corrected year of booked cruise to 2020

On 1/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, sasset said:

Regarding the mirror situation. Was there anywhere for my wife to plug in her own hair dryer near a mirror? Would an extension cord be needed?

The issue wasn’t the hair dryer, which was portable, it was the lack of an outlet anywhere near a mirror.  With a long extension cord, you could use the mirror behind the front door. Perhaps the ship would give you such a cord. I will tell you that when we went through security in Cape Liberty, they were going to confiscate my very short extension cord that I need on some ships where the outlets are too recessed for some charging blocks.  I had to get a supervisor to intervene. 

hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well.  we just booked Alaska for may 21 and I was thinking about you.  too bad we can't get a family veranda I think its a arm and leg more than a balcony.  happy sailing. Bob

We sailed on the newly renovated Summit in June and again in September in an inside cabin.  There was an outlet for my hairdryer by the desk that had a mirror.  I was able to sit and put on makeup and blow dry my hair. 

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The issue wasn’t the hair dryer, which was portable, it was the lack of an outlet anywhere near a mirror.  With a long extension cord, you could use the mirror behind the front door. Perhaps the ship would give you such a cord. I will tell you that when we went through security in Cape Liberty, they were going to confiscate my very short extension cord that I need on some ships where the outlets are too recessed for some charging blocks.  I had to get a supervisor to intervene. 

Thanks. We're on in October. Maybe they will have added some mirrors by then. Is the wall surface over the desk something that might allow us to stick up a suction mirror?

7 hours ago, hurwitz5 said:

We sailed on the newly renovated Summit in June and again in September in an inside cabin.  There was an outlet for my hairdryer by the desk that had a mirror.  I was able to sit and put on makeup and blow dry my hair. 

Thanks. The issue is in the corner FVs. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, TeeRick said:

Turtles06 - I respectfully have to disagree.  Nothing personal.  It is an opinion.  I enjoy your posts.  But it is my opinion that it is correct that anybody can be a suite guest if they choose to do so.  Many do for many reasons.  Special occasions or anniversaries.  For whatever reason some choose to pay the extra money and others do not.  It says nothing about whether they can afford it or not.  Just their choice.  Is it a class distinction in your opinion if people choose to pay for Aqua Class and dine in Blu?  Or if people sail Concierge Class and get a lunch on embarkation day?  People pay for what they want.  It is a cruise vacation not an economic class distinction.  We are not in the days of Titanic.  Not sure why this keeps being brought up.  A lot of others compare themselves to being in Steerage.  Again we are all very fortunate people affording Celebrity cruising vacations.  Suite or not.

Bravo!   And...….everyone should not get a "participation" trophy, either!

Great Review!  Will be boarding Summit on Tuesday 1/14/2020 on 11 night Dutch Antilles Caribbean cruise!  Looking forward to the new Summit.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:37 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate them!    

The main problem at Becky's was the flavorless lobster.  I even tried the meat without the roll --  still no flavor.  But no question that the roll was too much.   I'm not a lobster expert and have no idea why the lobster was flavorless, but it was certainly disappointing.

Your lobster was flavorless because it had been previously frozen. Nearly every restaurant on Portland Waterfront serves lobster. I would suggest Portland Lobster Company.