2 days in Miami

coolio111

We have 2 days in Miami before our cruise, 2 adults 2 kids.

One day will be spent at the Seaquarium and the other day will be roaming around the city.

Is it better to look for a hotel in South Beach, or Downtown Miami or Brickell.

We will not be spending our whole time at the beach, will go down to play for a bit, but we are not sit on the beach people.

We will be relying on transit and Uber.

Please give your suggestions.

Personally even though I lived in Downtown for 4-years to visit I would pick Brickell over downtown. But both are pretty much right next to each other not a huge difference. 

South Beach vs. Downtown/Brickell is all about the beach and how much walking you want to do. If you know you are going to the beach for sure, then South Beach makes sense. And there are a ton of things to walk to. Brickell/Downtown is good for walkability too and good transit with the free metromover. 

I would not plan an entire day at the Seaquarium though. It is not the biggest nor best one out there so check out some other things to do. 

Brickell/Downtown is a better location for roaming the city and the port. South Beach for the beach and not wanting to get in a car at all. 

There is no right or wrong on this.

If you like the night life, beach and people watching South Beach is a good option.

For us this is not what we like and we prefer being downtown Miami and we do this whether spending a couple of day or a week or more.  We do go over to South Beach one day during the daytime and it is easy to get to from downtown.

You didn't ask for this but I have prepared a list of several hotels in downtown Miami near Brickell.  There are many more but these will give you a good range of hotels.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis (about six years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning).  Avoid a room on a lower floor as you may hear quite a bit of noise from a nearby bridge.

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port.  Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.  

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned).  Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

Hyatt Centric

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre.  More on Brickell in a moment.)  Also the SLS Lux Brickell is nearby.

And then just another few minutes away 

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here.  It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016.  Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

• Like 2