Cruise Critic Community
TMLAalum

Heuriger Vienna

Has anyone visited one of Vienna's famous wine gardens when on a river cruise?

Luckily we've found one that is open the evening of 11 November (thanks to a Rick Steve's guidebook), since most are closed for the season at the end of October. According to his instructions, we can reach the Fuhrgassl Huber in Neustift am Wald by bus 35A after taking the U-6 to the Nussdorfer Strasse stop, but it may be easier to taxi or Uber, if Vienna permits Uber.

If you've done Wein in the Wien countryside, please share your experiences, thanks!

Take a taxi and ask the driver to pick you up at a certain time.

Besides good food there is the wine. When you are there you should get "federweißer", I will not go into what it is, Mr. Google is capable to do that.

Just the health warning, federweißer is sweet, sparkling and tastes like ... . Can be deadly if you get into good company when it will flow like honey.

Federweißer is potent, I would not book any excursions the next day and stay very close or better still on the boat.

Never had a bad evening at such a do (that is from what I can remember).

Have a great time (but you have been warned).🍻🥨🍻

Oh, oh! Looks like my plan to visit Bratislava the next day will have to be abandoned!

I did google federweisser and learned a lot! since my DH & I will be a week in western Germany (Gemuend-Schleiden) and plan to visit Burg Etz along the Mosel, we might be able to enjoy this wine well before our evening in Vienna! 

G.M.T.- any suggestions for where we might imbibe near to where we will be staying?

Danke!

20 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Oh, oh! Looks like my plan to visit Bratislava the next day will have to be abandoned!

I did google federweisser and learned a lot! since my DH & I will be a week in western Germany (Gemuend-Schleiden) and plan to visit Burg Etz along the Mosel, we might be able to enjoy this wine well before our evening in Vienna! 

G.M.T.- any suggestions for where we might imbibe near to where we will be staying?

Danke!

Sorry I can't help you with Gemuend-Schleiden / Burg Etz, my area is Bavaria along the Danube and into Austra.

Post on the River cruising / Rhine thread:

or the River Cruising / Moselle thread:

The originator of both these threads "Notamermaid" lives near the Rhine and is a walking Wikipedia for the Rhine and Moselle.

7 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Sorry I can't help you with Gemuend-Schleiden / Burg Etz, my area is Bavaria along the Danube and into Austra.

Post on the River cruising / Rhine thread:

or the River Cruising / Moselle thread:

The originator of both these threads "Notamermaid" lives near the Rhine and is a walking Wikipedia for the Rhine and Moselle.

Thanks, G.M.T. staggering Wikipedia after some Federweisser probably :classic_biggrin:.

Basically, the stuff is available in many places where there are wine growers not too far away. The wine does not travel well, in the sense that it has to stay upright and does not keep that long.

Therefore, TMLAalum, can you confirm that you mean Gemünd Schleiden west of Euskirchen in the Eifel Nationalpark? That would mean a 90 minute car journey to Burg Eltz.

notamermaid

On 9/27/2019 at 4:08 PM, notamermaid said:

Thanks, G.M.T. staggering Wikipedia after some Federweisser probably :classic_biggrin:.

Basically, the stuff is available in many places where there are wine growers not too far away. The wine does not travel well, in the sense that it has to stay upright and does not keep that long.

Therefore, TMLAalum, can you confirm that you mean Gemünd Schleiden west of Euskirchen in the Eifel Nationalpark? That would mean a 90 minute car journey to Burg Eltz.

notamermaid

@notamermaid

Yes that is exactly where we are staying- we will be there 5 full days with a rental car, then on to Metz, the birthplace of my paternal grandmother where we will meet a distant French cousin and his wife, and from there a couple of nights in Zellenberg.

We don't mind driving and thought a day trip to Burg Eltz would be a possibility.

If you have any ideas of specific wine-growers we might visit while in the region, please let me know because I would love to imbibe a glass or two of Federweisser before we cruise to Vienna

Danke!

13 hours ago, rcaruso said:

And you must have Zwiebelkuchen with the Federweisser!

Eating takes away drinking time.🍻🥨🍻

TMLAalum,

That is a lovely trip itinerary. My answer to obtaining Federweisser is in two parts. First: the problem is timing. Second week in November is the end of Federweisser season really, so much of the process of this turning from fermented juice into alcohol has taken place. Getting the sweet young version might be potluck. Buying is still possible for you as I reckon you will be in the Eifel on 31 October (?). Supermarkets stock varieties, try REWE or EDEKA local shops. They could still have stock, the quality will vary. You could also ask at the tourist-information centre in Gemünden: https://www.nordeifel-tourismus.de/startseite/

address and phone number under service somewhere.

Or buy on your trip out to Burg Eltz as you are near the Mosel then.

Added: nearly forgot, 1 November is a public holiday in the area, shop closure.

You can transport the wine yourself as long as you keep the bottles cool- ish in the car and upright at all times. Avoid potholes. Store in fridge and drink within three days.

Second part to follow.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

@notamermaid Thanks so much for your response thus far! We arrive at FRA on Friday 25 October, spend the night there and drive the following day to Ferienpark Salzberg in Gemeund-Schleiden. We are there until 1 November, so thanks for the information about the national holiday. Is it a holiday in both Germany & France?

@G.M.T. You are so funny!

@rcaruso Appreciate the tip about zweibelkuchen. Gotta have something tasty to soak up the Federweisser!

We did a Heuriger dinner last year on our Viking River Cruise.  The ship staff called a cab that took us the Weinhof Zimmermann.  After an excellent dinner with many good wines, the staff called a cab for us.  We were a group of four, so the cab cost was reasonable.  

On 9/28/2019 at 10:53 PM, TMLAalum said:

If you have any ideas of specific wine-growers we might visit while in the region, please let me know because I would love to imbibe a glass or two of Federweisser before we cruise to Vienna

On 9/29/2019 at 2:57 PM, TMLAalum said:

Thanks so much for your response thus far! We arrive at FRA on Friday 25 October, spend the night there and drive the following day to Ferienpark Salzberg in Gemeund-Schleiden. We are there until 1 November, so thanks for the information about the national holiday.

TMLAalum,

it has taken a bit of time but I am back with part 2, a couple more amended suggestions as you will be in the area earlier. Coming from Frankfurt and getting an early start the following day is very convenient to sample or have a lunch break with some Federweisser! You can get it all along the wine-growing region and probably even close to Frankfurt. I assume you will be driving at least part of the way along the Rhine valley. You could just pop into a town and look for a vintner - or for a lunch into what is called a Straußwirtschaft. A seasonal eatery, basically. However, I cannot supply any addresses on that stretch.

I do know a place on the Moselle that I went to a few years ago. I enjoyed their wine and liqueurs. The food was also pleasant. It is just outside of Koblenz in the district of Metternich. It is called Weinhaus Schwaab Restaurant: https://www.weinkeller-schwaab.de/weinerlebnis/weinhaus/#emotion--1

They open at three in the afternoon.

I phoned them up and they said they still serve Federweisser with Zwiebelkuchen, till the end of the month.

The vintner himself is Weingut Schwaab in the district of Güls, address: In der Lach 93, 56072 Koblenz, dropping in and buying wine - perhaps even Federweisser - is possible. You could just give it a try.

Alternatively a few inns in and near Koblenz could well serve Federweisser, I am just not familiar with any others. Perhaps this is helpful: https://www.koblenz-tourism.com/wine.html

Koblenz is a good stop along the way, if you are not heading straight to the deep Eifel.

Have a great time.

notamermaid

@notamermaid

Danke! I so appreciate the time and effort you put into researching Federweisser and Zweibelkuchen for us. I have printed out your post above to bring with!

I am hoping to get an earlier start to our journey to the Eifel on the 26th because I learned that the direct train from FRA into Frankfurt will cease operation for several months beginning at 19:30 on our arrival day. Originally I thought we'd spend the morning in the city before heading back to the airport to pick up our rental car. If we can get the car earlier without incurring a huge extra expense, we will have time to stop in Metternicht enroute, but, if not, we will make a day trip there from the timeshare.

Barb