Luggage - purchase extra suitcase on ship?

1ballerina

We are cruising in the med in approx two weeks. 

Usually we take a carry on each, check two bags and a garment bag. This trip due to three weeks in Europe (extra time on either end of cruise) we decided to go casual, and minimize our bags. In our minds “worse case we buy more clothes) No formal nights for us!!!! (The thought of dressing up exhausts me right now)  We like to shop for art and for this reason always had room to carry our pieces back on the plane but this time we are brainstorming ideas on how to get art home without shipping it. I cant recall whether the cruise ships sell extra suitcases onboard...anybody know ? 

Thank you 

Christina 

Definitely buy a bag on shore there or here.  I have not found a lot of clothes shopping opportunities in Europe.  Not that they don’t have nice stores, but the stuff I want to buy when I am there is usually quite expensive, so we don’t buy a lot.  One thing we do, and rarely need is pack a small light carry-on fold up bag, like a gym bag.  You can check it if need be, it comes in handy on the trip, but you probably won’t need it is my guess.  

I remember meeting my first pinnacle, not sure he was actually the first pinnacle I had met, but he was the first one introduced to me as a pinnacle.  Lord Timothy.  He informed me in a royal way that the key to staying at sea and not doing laundry was to go to walmart in port and buy new underwear and T-shirt’s and toss the old.  

This keeps you from needing to wash your outerwear so you can stay constantly at sea and in the diamond lounge lording over the lowly diamonds and diamond pluses.

jc

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Definitely buy a bag on shore there or here.  I have not found a lot of clothes shopping opportunities in Europe.  Not that they don’t have nice stores, but the stuff I want to buy when I am there is usually quite expensive, so we don’t buy a lot.  One thing we do, and rarely need is pack a small light carry-on fold up bag, like a gym bag.  You can check it if need be, it comes in handy on the trip, but you probably won’t need it is my guess.  

I remember meeting my first pinnacle, not sure he was actually the first pinnacle I had met, but he was the first one introduced to me as a pinnacle.  Lord Timothy.  He informed me in a royal way that the key to staying at sea and not doing laundry was to go to walmart in port and buy new underwear and T-shirt’s and toss the old.  

This keeps you from needing to wash your outerwear so you can stay constantly at sea and in the diamond lounge lording over the lowly diamonds and diamond pluses.

jc

We have found that we end up buying clothing infrequently when we travel however if we do they tend to be expensive as you suggested as well. Guess we all have good taste 🙂  The great thing about those pieces ...the quality !! AND they look wonderful for years. I find myself bringing them along on trips and they tend to be timeless. 

1 hour ago, 1ballerina said:

We are cruising in the med in approx two weeks. 

Usually we take a carry on each, check two bags and a garment bag. This trip due to three weeks in Europe (extra time on either end of cruise) we decided to go casual, and minimize our bags. In our minds “worse case we buy more clothes) No formal nights for us!!!! (The thought of dressing up exhausts me right now)  We like to shop for art and for this reason always had room to carry our pieces back on the plane but this time we are brainstorming ideas on how to get art home without shipping it. I cant recall whether the cruise ships sell extra suitcases onboard...anybody know ? 

Thank you 

Christina 

I have a set of 3 different sized suitcases that pack into each other-smallest into middle size, then middle size into largest for storage. Very handy to take when travelling. I always advise Security I have a medium case inside my larger case, and no problems encountered so far, just an amused smile. HTH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crochetcruise said:

I have a set of 3 different sized suitcases that pack into each other-smallest into middle size, then middle size into largest for storage. Very handy to take when travelling. I always advise Security I have a medium case inside my larger case, and no problems encountered so far, just an amused smile. HTH.

Yeah, use do the smaller in large years ago. That way had suitcase for bought stuff. Now with weight limits traveling dont do it myself anymore

7 hours ago, crochetcruise said:

Exactly what I do.

Years ago I bought a duffel bag from LL Bean that folds up to about the size of a hoodie. I pack it in my suitcase. On the trip home all of the clothes go in there so I have the suitcases for anything we have purchased . It's big. Right now it's home for a very thick and heavy king duvet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

Years ago I bought a duffel bag from LL Bean that folds up to about the size of a hoodie. I pack it in my suitcase. On the trip home all of the clothes go in there so I have the suitcases for anything we have purchased . It's big. Right now it's home for a very thick and heavy king duvet.

Great idea!

10 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Buying extra suitcases abroad/on board may raise an eyebrow or two at the moment! 🤨

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49846063

Fair comment. Silly fools deserve what they got.

If I think I will NEED an extra case coming home, I will take the larger case and pop the middle size inside. I usually plan all purchases fairly accurately, so don't always need extra space.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 2:03 AM, xpcdoojk said:

One thing we do, and rarely need is pack a small light carry-on fold up bag, like a gym bag.  You can check it if need be, it comes in handy on the trip, but you probably won’t need it is my guess.  

I've done this when I thought I might make significant purchases. If I do, the gym bag will hold clothing (usually laundry) or something else that's not breakable.

12 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Buying extra suitcases abroad/on board may raise an eyebrow or two at the moment! 🤨

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49846063

Thanks for sharing 

No clue this was even an issue ....maybe will try bringing an extra duffle as suggested in this thread!!! 

Meanwhile ...I am looking forward to our cruise, fabulous culture, some cocktails, good food, maybe room service on the balcony and alone time w the hubby.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crochetcruise said:

Fair comment. Silly fools deserve what they got.

If I think I will NEED an extra case coming home, I will take the larger case and pop the middle size inside. I usually plan all purchases fairly accurately, so don't always need extra space.

4 hours ago, 1ballerina said:

Thanks for sharing 

No clue this was even an issue ....maybe will try bringing an extra duffle as suggested in this thread!!! 

Meanwhile ...I am looking forward to our cruise, fabulous culture, some cocktails, good food, maybe room service on the balcony and alone time w the hubby.

I'd not quite noticed that the news report I'd posted was as simplistic as it was so I've put a more in depth one instead!

It was obviously posted 'tongue in cheek' with regards to people on here who may need extra cases whilst on board a cruise, but if you read the article it mentions how they utilised that process in their drug smuggling! It mentions how they gave their old cases to a ship crew member!! 

Crazy people, but also history doing this as you will read!

I guess security may be a little more keen with us cruisers when we get off ships - who knows!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7470169/Retired-couple-cocaine-worth-1m-cruise-luggage-led-jetset-lifestyle-court-told.html