Under the seat wheeled luggage

karinad

I'm looking for an under the seat (airplane) wheeled luggage piece. Does anyone have a favorite one that they use? Since I'll be travelling solo, I don't want to deal with putting it overhead and I don't want to end up carrying a heavy bag.

Also, I guess that would be considered your carry-on even though it's a smaller piece then a larger 20 inch carry-on.

Thanks! I just started looking!

54 minutes ago, karinad said:

I'm looking for an under the seat (airplane) wheeled luggage piece. Does anyone have a favorite one that they use? Since I'll be travelling solo, I don't want to deal with putting it overhead and I don't want to end up carrying a heavy bag.

Also, I guess that would be considered your carry-on even though it's a smaller piece then a larger 20 inch carry-on.

It is NOT considered your carry-on, since you can put it (easily) under the seat in front of you.  We have two, and this one is my favorite.  It is not slanted toward the top, so it holds more.  These are terrific to have, and they slide very smoothly under the seat.  I take mine with my laptop and jewelry case in it, plus my Bose headphones, Samsung tablet reader, a change of clothes, medication box, and miscellaneous stuff.  You'd be amazed what fits inside.  I even stuff my small handbag in at the last minute, after I take the Bose and Samsung out, just before boarding the plane.  I've traveled with it at least 8 times, and love it.  Be sure to get spinner wheels.  This one is $50 on Amazon.

719bDnKDTDL._SL1500_.jpg

6 hours ago, pcur said:

It is NOT considered your carry-on, since you can put it (easily) under the seat in front of you. 

So it is considered a personal item? Have you also traveled with an overhead bin carry on with the under the seat roller? If so, which airlines? Very curious...we're starting a season of travel...DS is studying overseas, so the whole family plans on traveling more.

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

So it is considered a personal item? Have you also traveled with an overhead bin carry on with the under the seat roller? If so, which airlines? Very curious...we're starting a season of travel...DS is studying overseas, so the whole family plans on traveling more.

I have used it as both an overhead carry-on and under the seat, and I've taken both on the same flight:  overhead for the carry-on, and under the seat for this bag we are discussing.  Airlines I've flown since getting this are:  Southwest, Delta, Spirit (even passes their restrictive rules), and British Airways. 

If my toiletries can fit in the quart size bag, then I will bring both the under-seat bag and a carry-on.  The only issue is your toiletries:  if over the 3 oz size limit, then they have to be checked.  If it's a short trip requiring few clothes, then I'll just take the under-seat bag as my single carry-on, and put it in the overhead.   It's a very handy piece of luggage to have, and you can do a long weekend with just this bag (assuming the toiletries are sized small).

It serves as my personal item since my handbag fits inside (just before boarding and when I take out my Bose and Samsung reader/video player) when I've checked other luggage, or I'm only taking this bag. 

What I've learned is to put my Samsung in the outside zipper pocket, which is perfect for a 10" device, and my laptop ON TOP inside.  Since both of these have to come out for Security, there's no digging around for them:  a two-zipper step, and they're out.

• Thanks 1

I've been using this bag for several years and think it's the best carryon I've ever had.

https://www.ebags.com/product/lucas/wheeled-under-the-seat-bag/211182?productid=10138888&cat=underseat-luggage&country=US&currency=USD&ebcpkey=keywords&couponid=94790994&sourceid=ADWPRODUCTLMC&adtype=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwfrYYtIN1r8nOqKDrgJLt19hL-MLsEHJPkxg5zLVl54EkjDl1Wd8DgaAoCcEALw_wcB

I got it BECAUSE it will fit under the seat if need be.  We usually get priority boarding but once we couldn't get any overhead space.  This 'lies on its back' and you can even prop your feet on it.  And look at all the organization it has!  But it's my "carry on" and my handbag is the other piece.  I DO NOT abuse the carry on rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Weird.  Maybe try this shortened version:

https://www.ebags.com/product/lucas/wheeled-under-the-seat-bag

Or just google ebags lucas ought to give it to you.

I do like the Lucas bag, but I was wondering if the spinner bags would handle better. Some of the bags have no give to them and no compartments on the outside or inner organization. I was wondering, too, if it's considered your personal item or your carry-on???

6 minutes ago, karinad said:

I do like the Lucas bag, but I was wondering if the spinner bags would handle better. Some of the bags have no give to them and no compartments on the outside or inner organization. I was wondering, too, if it's considered your personal item or your carry-on???

6 minutes ago, karinad said:

Here's a link that better shows the features:

https://www.ebags.com/product/lucas/wheeled-under-the-seat-bag/211182?productid=10128615&cat=underseat-luggage&country=US&currency=USD&ebcpkey=keywords&couponid=94790994&sourceid=ADWPRODUCTLMC&adtype=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwdnFct4M6YTqqsPysimsOD5BMPG83s-_5vK33o59qvJOv2jp4by1x4aAi8YEALw_wcB#productFeatures

It's my carryon and I have my handbag also.  As I believe I mentioned only once did I have to put in under the seat. I'm more organized with this bag than I've ever been.  With all the compartments it's easy to have a system.  At 3x the price I'd still love it.

8 hours ago, pcur said:

I have used it as both an overhead carry-on and under the seat, and I've taken both on the same flight:  overhead for the carry-on, and under the seat for this bag we are discussing.  Airlines I've flown since getting this are:  Southwest, Delta, Spirit (even passes their restrictive rules), and British Airways. 

It serves as my personal item since my handbag fits inside 

Has there ever been a time when it wouldn’t fit under the seat? Some of the smaller planes used by the regionals do not have a lot of under seat room. What about the entertainment system boxes that are under the seats on some jets? Those can really cut down on under-seat space.

On the occasions when when you have taken it as your personal item and you also have a carry on with you, isn’t it a bit difficult to manage both when trying to reach your seat?  

Checking one  airline’s (that you mentioned) description of a personal item the examples are a purse, camera bag, brief case, laptop and similarly sized  item so I wonder if the under seat suitcase COULD be disallowed if one also has a rollaboard?  Now I will say that the rules are inconsistently enforced but one never knows. As others have said about various airline policies, just because you were able to do it doesn’t guarantee it. 

i can see this under seat bag as useful when one would rather not use the overhead as long as the equipment has seats with sufficient  under seat room. I’m not sure I would chance trying to take both on the plane. Those last minute checked bag fees can be hefty. I watched a women gate check one roll aboard when the GA made the offer to check bags for free due to a full flight and then stop that same woman from boarding with her second, smaller suitcase. She was told it was too large because her rollaboard had already been gate checked for free. The woman held up the line arguing with the GA and finally had to step aside and pay for a checked bag. 

I do do like that this particular bag is not slanted at the top and can hold more.  Useful for shorter trips.

20 hours ago, karinad said:

Hi, I have been traveling solo for years and found a brand call I T luggage....it is VERY lightweight. It is a regular size carry on....21 inches....just a suggestion....check it out.  I do use the overhead for it but as I said, it really is lightweight.

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I have been traveling solo for years and found a brand call I T luggage....it is VERY lightweight. It is a regular size carry on....21 inches....just a suggestion....check it out.  I do use the overhead for it but as I said, it really is lightweight.

I have a set of the IT Luggage and love it! It is very light. I'm the OP and the reason I asked this question was to avoid going overhead. IT does make an under the seat bag, too, at a good price but only 2 wheels. I'm hoping for a spinner. I had one home by American Tourister. I like it, but I wish it had more organization to it and side pockets. Also, it's heavy, although, heavy shouldn't be an issue if I don't have to lift it.

I don't know what to say about it being considered a personal item. I usually, when travelling with dh, take along a duffle type bag that's about the size of the under the seat and a carry-on for overhead. Nothing was ever said. I'm sure I could fit more in the duffle bag then the wheeled under the seat.

53 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Has there ever been a time when it wouldn’t fit under the seat? Some of the smaller planes used by the regionals do not have a lot of under seat room. What about the entertainment system boxes that are under the seats on some jets? Those can really cut down on under-seat space.

On the occasions when when you have taken it as your personal item and you also have a carry on with you, isn’t it a bit difficult to manage both when trying to reach your seat?  

Checking one  airline’s (that you mentioned) description of a personal item the examples are a purse, camera bag, brief case, laptop and similarly sized  item so I wonder if the under seat suitcase COULD be disallowed if one also has a rollaboard?  Now I will say that the rules are inconsistently enforced but one never knows. As others have said about various airline policies, just because you were able to do it doesn’t guarantee it. 

i can see this under seat bag as useful when one would rather not use the overhead as long as the equipment has seats with sufficient  under seat room. I’m not sure I would chance trying to take both on the plane. Those last minute checked bag fees can be hefty. I watched a women gate check one roll aboard when the GA made the offer to check bags for free due to a full flight and then stop that same woman from boarding with her second, smaller suitcase. She was told it was too large because her rollaboard had already been gate checked for free. The woman held up the line arguing with the GA and finally had to step aside and pay for a checked bag. 

I do do like that this particular bag is not slanted at the top and can hold more.  Useful for shorter trips.

On the regional airlines, if any bag you take on board won't fit, they will gate check it.  I've flown out of Bakersfield, CA, several times and they always do this.

I've never had it not fit under the seat on a flight, but I only put it there if there is no space int he overhead.  When you get on with one of these, and no other bag, the cabin crew know it will fit either place. 

If it fits under the seat, it's OK.  They can call it anything they want, but this is not a suitcase.  It's like a samples case a salesman would roll around.  I've never had them even look at it.  To be super safe with it, I'd just carry it by the soft handles at first.  Now, I just roll it.  If I take a carry-on, too, one rolls in front, and the other behind me.  It's quite amazing how it just tips and rolls under the seat in front, even leaving room for your feet, since it's short.

In the case of the woman who got charged at the gate, it sounds like she was double-dipping with carry-on suitcases.  This bag, like I said above, would never be mistaken for a suitcase.  In the overhead luggge area, it takes up 1/2 of the depth of the space.  I've seen large, bulkier, overstuffed "personal item" bags on many flights.

Edited by pcur

2 hours ago, pcur said:

On the regional airlines, if any bag you take on board won't fit, they will gate check it.  I've flown out of Bakersfield, CA, several times and they always do this.

I've never had it not fit under the seat on a flight, but I only put it there if there is no space int he overhead.  When you get on with one of these, and no other bag, the cabin crew know it will fit either place. 

If it fits under the seat, it's OK.  They can call it anything they want, but this is not a suitcase.  It's like a samples case a salesman would roll around.  I've never had them even look at it.  To be super safe with it, I'd just carry it by the soft handles at first.  Now, I just roll it.  If I take a carry-on, too, one rolls in front, and the other behind me.  It's quite amazing how it just tips and rolls under the seat in front, even leaving room for your feet, since it's short.

In the case of the woman who got charged at the gate, it sounds like she was double-dipping with carry-on suitcases.  This bag, like I said above, would never be mistaken for a suitcase.  In the overhead luggge area, it takes up 1/2 of the depth of the space.  I've seen large, bulkier, overstuffed "personal item" bags on many flights.

Without actual dimensions of this bag, it’s difficult to tell just what size it is. What do you do when you have both a carry on and this under seat bag and it doesn’t fit under the seat? I believe the over head is limited to one piece of luggage per person. I have a small tote that I use as a personal item. It sits on top of my carry on so I am thinking it is probably much smaller than your under seat bag and there have been occasions when it barely fit under the seat. So knowing the dimensions would help me to figure out if this bag will work for me. Thanks

17 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Without actual dimensions of this bag, it’s difficult to tell just what size it is. What do you do when you have both a carry on and this under seat bag and it doesn’t fit under the seat? I believe the over head is limited to one piece of luggage per person. I have a small tote that I use as a personal item. It sits on top of my carry on so I am thinking it is probably much smaller than your under seat bag and there have been occasions when it barely fit under the seat. So knowing the dimensions would help me to figure out if this bag will work for me. Thanks

From what I've seen for the average dimensions the outer dimensions are under 17x17x9. The one that I looked at was a little under that. It is very small!

11 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

The one I posted a picture of above is 13x13x9.  The critical part is the top of the case.  You want a squared one, not a sloped one.  It cuts down on the space available inside if it's sloped.  We have one of each, and my husband uses the sloped one, because he only takes his cpap and medications in it.

This can substitute for a personal item bag, because I swap my purse (would have been a personal item bag if left out) for the Bose and Samsung inside.

If it doesn't fit under the seat, and I truly think it will since this is what it's designed for, then you would gate check it at no charge.  I have never had to do this on any of the several airlines we've flown.  

Edited by pcur

On 9/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, clo said:

But it's my "carry on" and my handbag is the other piece.  I DO NOT abuse the carry on rules.

Thank you!

As a frequent traveler I love to watch what people bring on planes. I think you said you used to work for an airline so I'm sure you know what I mean...

A 'personal item' is supposed to be small: a purse, small briefcase or bag. I don't consider these roll-on bags to be personal items and if airlines enforced their rules, they wouldn't either...

Like you, I travel with a smaller wheeled carry-on bag and my purse. My bag of choice is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-4-Wheel-Rolling-Tote/dp/B07D11ZXJF/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_309_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=NQ3M4HRHR15YXMC6ZEN1 .   Except I have the older, two-wheeled version (which I prefer).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

A 'personal item' is supposed to be small: a purse, small briefcase or bag. I don't consider these roll-on bags to be personal items and if airlines enforced their rules, they wouldn't either...

For a very long, long time I've had a stated goal of becoming "Czarina of the Universe."  The very first thing I'll do is remove all overhead bins from airplanes.  It will either go under one's seat or it will get checked.  It's the rare occasion when I've seen an airline enforce their own rules.  It's certainly my biggest peeve about any form of travel.  So there 🙂

19 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

just because you were able to do it doesn’t guarantee it. 

And it doesn't make it right.

I also really loathe the people who are allowed to board with a bag that won't fit with the wheels/bottom at the back of the bin and the lay it lengthwise.

7 hours ago, pcur said:

The one I posted a picture of above is 13x13x9.  The critical part is the top of the case.  You want a squared one, not a sloped one.  It cuts down on the space available inside if it's sloped.  We have one of each, and my husband uses the sloped one, because he only takes his cpap and medications in it.

This can substitute for a personal item bag, because I swap my purse (would have been a personal item bag if left out) for the Bose and Samsung inside.

If it doesn't fit under the seat, and I truly think it will since this is what it's designed for, then you would gate check it at no charge.  I have never had to do this on any of the several airlines we've flown.  

Thanks for the measurements. I am confused about gate checking at no charge. I believe this would only apply if the plane’s overhead would not accommodate this bag and you had no other carry on with you. ( Maybe that is what you meant?) I have never seen an airline offer gate checking for both no matter if it’s because of a small overhead (ie RJ200-900) or a full flight where they offer to check your bag thru to your final destination. 

That said, based on the dimensions, this bag is small. Some classified as “under seat” are larger so that may be why some of us have questioned its ability to fit under airline seats. 

I will most likely stick with my tote because it can be pushed into a shape that will fit under seats even when there is limited space. I never put it in the overhead. This is because I always travel with my carry on so that is what goes into the over head. This bag would be a good choice as the only one for a short trip. Nice to be able to roll it thru larger airports instead of using something that needs to be carried.

Someone mentioned "sample case" as a legit size for the "personal item."  If you're flying Delta, nope:

Approved Personal Items

• 1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
  • or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
  • or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

As I watch some people bring on some of their "personal items" and have trouble stuffing them under the seat (or ignore trying altogether and put it overhead with their carryon), I wish an airline would come up with dimensions for that bag!!!  

Depending on where I'm going, I'm not having a purse or handbag or tote.  It can be one of my many daypacks which easily slide under my seat.  

3 hours ago, clo said:

So you don't carry a handbag?

My Travelon purse fits in my tote and after boarding, the purse comes out of the tote and lays on top of it. This fits under the seat. Have been doing this for years and have never had a problem getting it under the seat because tote is just fabric and easily conforms to under seat size. Travelon is also a fabric cross body. It’s quick and easy to stow when boarding so I’m not holding up others. I think I mentioned earlier that it never goes in the overhead. 

• Like 1