Formal Nights?

RJB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Been a long time since we sailed on Regent and do not know if there are still formal nights.   Thanks

Nope.  They have Formal Optional on sailings longer than 16 nights but no formal mandatory.  Sport coat would be fine (although not required).

10 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Which is why we cruise Regent (one of the reasons)no formal nights.

Great to hear.  We have been cruising with Oceania and dislike  mandatory  formal nights. Ready to go. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 4:57 AM, RJB said:

Great to hear.  We have been cruising with Oceania and dislike  mandatory  formal nights. Ready to go. 

First comment deleted:

Sorry, I misread your post to read you dislike the formal nights on Oceania.  I see you were saying you are cruising Oceania because you don't like the formal nights on the other lines.

Edited by 1985rz1

We have taken a look at Oceania but haven't booked it for other reasons (actually just 1 reason; the O-life price should include all options, not a choice of 1).  They don't seem to have any formal nights based on their marketing info.

We're on a back to back Regent cruise that totals 32 nights. The first part is 14 nights and has no "formal optional" nights. The second part is 18 nights and the second night (after a day at sea) is "formal optional". We will already have packed for this trip without bring formal attire so our option with be "informal" on "formal optional" night.

The strictest dress code we've encountered is on Silversea, where informal nights require men to wear jackets, with ties optional. Formal nights require a minimum of a dark suit with tie for men and a cocktail dress for women. Casual night on Silversea is a normal dress code night on Regent. On our 14 night Silversea cruise, there were 3 formal nights, 8 informal nights, and 3 casual nights. We chose room service a few times to avoid dressing up after days with a long excursion, and after a rough day at sea.

Not having formal nights are just one little part of why we cruise Oceania.  The ship is great, the staff is real good and the food is wonderful especially on the big ships. All adds up to a great cruise where not having  the formal nights are just one little part of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, RJB said:

Not having formal nights are just one little part of why we cruise Oceania.  The ship is great, the staff is real good and the food is wonderful especially on the big ships. All adds up to a great cruise where not having  the formal nights are just one little part of it. 

Now I'm confused. You asked about formal nights on Regent, then go on to say you prefer Oceania due to no formal nights ("just one part of it").  I like Oceania too, and am looking forward to our first time on Regent. Looks like you have your mind made up as to cruise preferences, so why even care about Regent formal nights?

On 9/30/2019 at 1:11 PM, Fairfield Nana said:

Now I'm confused. You asked about formal nights on Regent, then go on to say you prefer Oceania due to no formal nights ("just one part of it").  I like Oceania too, and am looking forward to our first time on Regent. Looks like you have your mind made up as to cruise preferences, so why even care about Regent formal nights?

Looks like we are thinking of booking Regent and want the info. about formal nights.  It ha been a while and wanted the up to date policy.  I thought CC was a forum to ask questions and try to get real answers, not snarky reply's.  If you do not have something nice to say don't say anything. 

On 9/30/2019 at 1:11 PM, Fairfield Nana said:

On 10/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, Jim B said:

Huh??  So are you cruising on Regent or Oceania??  Neither have formal nights!!

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Looks like we are thinking of booking Regent and want the info. about formal nights.  It ha been a while and wanted the up to date policy.  I thought CC was a forum to ask questions and try to get real answers, not snarky reply's.  If you do not have something nice to say don't say anything. 

Sorry, but I didn’t see any snarky replies...it wasn’t totally clear to me either...your first post seemed to indicate you were asking for up-to-date policies on Regent but your subsequent posts looked like you were sticking with Oceana even though their formal night policy is similar to Regent’s.

Heres Regent’s dress code from their website:

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/onboard#collapse2059370464

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM, with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill or Pool Bar and on the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind, on the last night of every voyage, we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual. 

Otherwise, the recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner, once again with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill and on the final evening of the cruise. Ties are not required.

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

Gosh. I don't think anyone was being rude or snarky.  The statement was just very confusing and  we just wanted to understand it better. Sorry you took offense but was not suppose to be that way.

• Like 1

Agree - did not see snarky replies and I was also confused about Oceania comment.  Now, rereading it, I can see that you usually sail on Oceania but will be sailing on Regent and want to make sure that they do not have formal nights.  

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree - did not see snarky replies and I was also confused about Oceania comment.  Now, rereading it, I can see that you usually sail on Oceania but will be sailing on Regent and want to make sure that they do not have formal nights.  

Sorry if I took it wrong.  Last time we were on Regent it was Radisson Seven Seas, the first year for the Voyager.  At that time there were formal nights and wanted to know if that policy was still in effect.  Looks like a great cruise and will be happy with the new dress code.  CC seems to be the best place to get most of the answers we all need.   Thanks again.  

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 5:35 PM, SWFLAOK said:

The strictest dress code we've encountered is on Silversea, where informal nights require men to wear jackets, with ties optional. Formal nights require a minimum of a dark suit with tie for men and a cocktail dress for women. Casual night on Silversea is a normal dress code night on Regent. On our 14 night Silversea cruise, there were 3 formal nights, 8 informal nights, and 3 casual nights. We chose room service a few times to avoid dressing up after days with a long excursion, and after a rough day at sea.

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on Silversea, and did NOT have a single formal night or informal night.  Of course, it was an expedition cruise, which probably had something to do with that.😊

We are booked on a Miami RT (Island Excapades) leaving 2/11/2020. This is a 20 night cruise so technically there should be Formal or Semi-Formal on two evenings. However, this trip is really a mashup of two 10 day cruises. It's a b2b but sold under one number. My question is will there be Formal nights? I'm not bringing my formal in any case, just curious.

26 minutes ago, Xerxes10 said:

We are booked on a Miami RT (Island Excapades) leaving 2/11/2020. This is a 20 night cruise so technically there should be Formal or Semi-Formal on two evenings. However, this trip is really a mashup of two 10 day cruises. It's a b2b but sold under one number. My question is will there be Formal nights? I'm not bringing my formal in any case, just curious.

We have a b2b starting in December. Our first segment is 14 nights, and our second segment is 18 nights. We only have 1 formal night. It's on the second night of our second segment.

When the time comes to make specialty restaurant reservations, you should be able to make reservations at each of the specialty restaurants for each of the segments. It was considered 2 separate cruises when we made our reservations.

Edited by SWFLAOK
clarification

2 hours ago, Xerxes10 said:

Not really. People rarely wear formal on the short Caribbean cruise. I haven't taken a tux on Regent in years, except for New Years cruises.  I still wear a blue blazer to the specialty restaurant and SSS night. But many don't. Bring a blazer or sports coat if you want and maybe one tie.

J

3 hours ago, Xerxes10 said:

There is no longer “Formal” or “Semi-Formal” nights.  They have been replaced with “Formal Optional” for cruises over 16 nights.  The biggest difference is that you can wear “Elegant Casual” and be fine.  Personally, we enjoy dressing up a bit on any night when we go to a specialty restaurant or the Captain’s Reception (or the Seas Society).  Few men wear tuxedos on Formal Optional nights, a few more wear suits and ties and even more wear slacks and a sports jacket.  Then there are those who prefer dressing in polo shirts and Dockers.

11 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Not really. People rarely wear formal on the short Caribbean cruise. I haven't taken a tux on Regent in years, except for New Years cruises.  I still wear a blue blazer to the specialty restaurant and SSS night. But many don't. Bring a blazer or sports coat if you want and maybe one tie.

J

On Caribbean itineraries, ‘formal’ for me means wearing socks.

Seriously, though, as Jmariner said, a navy blazer and/or sport coat should be fine.  The main reason I wear a jacket at all is that some of the dining venues can lean toward the chilly sometimes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

On Caribbean itineraries, ‘formal’ for me means wearing socks.

Seriously, though, as Jmariner said, a navy blazer and/or sport coat should be fine.  The main reason I wear a jacket at all is that some of the dining venues can lean toward the chilly sometimes.

Plus somewhere to put key card, wife's glasses case , etc  and also often put a small camera in pocket

Agree with Bill can be chilly if under air con vent in some locations.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We have a b2b starting in December. Our first segment is 14 nights, and our second segment is 18 nights. We only have 1 formal night. It's on the second night of our second segment.

SWFLAOK,

I am just curious as to how one finds out this information (what night will be formal optional) in advance of the cruise.

Thanks, Bob

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

SWFLAOK,

I am just curious as to how one finds out this information (what night will be formal optional) in advance of the cruise.

Thanks, Bob

I was able to see it when I logged on to RSSC for our December cruise to check our specialty dinner reservations.  Our cruise TA made our reservations in September while we were on another cruise where we had sketchy internet access. I'm not sure at exactly what point it shows up, but it was there 2 weeks ago when we were back in the US with good internet access. I think there's a usual night to have the formal night, and I think it's close to the beginning of the cruise, on cruises that are long enough to have a formal night This is only our 3rd Regent cruise so I'm still relying on more experienced cruisers for answers.