Cruise Amenity Cutbacks: Where Do You Draw The Line?

vtcruising

Cruise Amenity Cutbacks: Where Do You Draw The Line?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-10, which of the following amenities would you rate greater than a 5 in importance for you to have an excellent cruise experience? You can choose as many as you wish.

• Twice daily cabin service (one including nightly turndown chocolates)
    • Celebrity tote
    • Footstools on veranda
    • Table large enough and high enough for dining on veranda
    • Use of bathrobes
    • Complimentary Room Service (presently complimentary from 6AM-11PM)
    • Complimentary in-room movies
    • Complimentary welcome aboard sparkling wine/other beverage
    • Embarkation lunch if in Concierge
    • Complimentary shoeshine service in suites, Concierge and Aqua Class
    • Bottle of sparkling wine for Aqua Class and Concierge and lower level suites and champagne for upper level suites
    • Pillow menu with choice of variety of pillows in Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Priority Check-in for Concierge, Aqua Class, Suites or due to Captain's Club Level
    • Daily Canapes for Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Use of umbrella and binoculars in Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Reserved seating in theater on Chic nights for Suites
    • Priority tendering for suites or due to Captain's Club level
    • In-suite specialty coffee service
    • Full in-suite breakfast, lunch, dinner service for Suites
    • Afternoon Tea in Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge
  2. 2. If any of the following amenities were to be discontinued, which one would upset you the most and might cause you to potentially look at other cruiselines? Choose one item.

• Twice daily cabin service (one including nightly turndown chocolates)
    • Complimentary in-room movies
    • Complimentary Room Service (presently complimentary from 6AM-11PM)
    • Footstools on veranda
    • Table large enough and high enough for dining on veranda
    • Mast Grill as complimentary venue (change to fee-based)
    • Complimentary extra entrees in MDR, Blu, Luminae
    • Use of bathrobes
    • Embarkation lunch if in Concierge
    • Priority Check-in for Concierge, Aqua Class, Suites or due to Captain's Club Level
    • Use of umbrella and binoculars in Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Bottle of sparkling wine for Aqua Class and Concierge and lower level suites and champagne for upper level suites
    • Daily Canapes for Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Reserved seating in theater on Chic nights for Suites
    • Full in-suite breakfast, lunch, dinner service for Suites
    • Priority tendering for Suites or due to Captain's Club level
    • It would bother me to lose some of these things, but it would take more than one of these things being discontinued to cause me to look at other cruiselines.
    • I don't care if any of these are discontinued.
  3. 3. Which of the following services/amenities would you most like added or improved? Please choose one.

• Improved Room Service menu, with a few items from specialty restaurants available during dinner hours for upcharge.
    • Refreshed MDR, Blu and Luminae menus
    • Improved food quality in complimentary venues
    • Longer breakfast hours on sea days.
    • More lunch options for port days.
    • Minimum veranda furniture (as space allows): reclining chairs and footstools and table large/high enough for dining - recliners on request for verandas large enough to accommoodate
    • Daily complimentary bottled water if in Aqua Class and lower level suites
    • Default of empty refrigerator, with option to purchase a minibar package that would keep it stocked with certain items.
    • Large, fluffy towels available for all
    • Improved toiletries for all

Celebrity isn't alone in the cruise world in making adjustments to their product (cutbacks and added complimentary amenities), hoping to balance the bottom line with customer satisfaction. People on this board often have strong feelings about cutbacks (or omissions on new builds or refurbished ships) and Celebrity sometimes responds positively to feedback by bringing back or changing the item, such as with the pillow chocolates, free movies and coffee tables in Edge Sky Suites (also a report by someone here that they were told that X was ordering footstools and that they would be in place in 2 months - unsure which ships, which cabins, etc. - will need to see if this becomes a reality).

When there is a discussion on Cruise Critic about items being discontinued or when omitted on a new build or refurbished ship, there is often a huge outcry from people against the cutback, with reactions ranging from "I'll miss it, but can do without it" to "I won't be sailing on Celebrity again."  There also seems to be a group of people who push back, asking why this is even issue for people and that they don't use that amenity anyway so it won't affect their cruises. Since I have seen some people support their posts with statements such as "most people agree" or  "I've talked to many people onboard and they all agree with me,"  it seemed that a poll was in order to see just what people missed that was changed or omitted, what they value the most with current amenities (and where they draw the line) and what they would like most to see added.

You can check off as many as you wish for the first question and only one for the last two questions. Screen names will be public.

Sorry if I omitted your favorites (I'm sure I missed some) - please comment in a post.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Just curious, you have conducted a number of polls over the past few months what do you do with the results?

Not a thing, except that I enjoy seeing how other people are thinking about these issues, and if others are interested, they have the option to participate, just follow the poll or move on to the next thread.  🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I understand that changes are always going to be happening, but it would be nice if they were improvements or additions rather than taking amenities away. The thing I do not like is that I book a cruise after reading all the advertising and hype about what is included - then what I actually receive is a dumbed down version due to cut backs. I am not sure I would accept it with other purchases I make.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I understand that changes are always going to be happening, but it would be nice if they were improvements or additions rather than taking amenities away. The thing I do not like is that I book a cruise after reading all the advertising and hype about what is included - then what I actually receive is a dumbed down version due to cut backs. I am not sure I would accept it with other purchases I make.

True, the axing of things does bug me a little , but not enough to change my plans. When in AQ, I still just get that little feeling of resentment when I have to lug bottled water back to the cabin, instead of having it delivered daily like they used to do for AQ. Not a big deal at all, but if it is a lot of little disappearing things, it does add up. I have looked at other lines and nothing is grabbing me as better right now. We are laid back and happy when cruising, so it would take something major to ruin a cruise for us. 🙂

I did have a nice surprise improvement too, though in a suite. I had booked a sky suite when they were excluded from Michael's Club - it was just CS and above at the time. By the time my cruise came around, they changed it to include sky suites - a great benefit that was added unexpectedly. 🙂

• Like 2

The poll helped me focus my priorities and learn  what others find important.

Not one isolated change would cause us to leave X right  now..... but the loss of daily water in AQ Class and  dilution  of priority boarding and disembarkation for AQ class guests has been very disappointing.  We are actually skipping AQ class for a few cruises  and finally booked a suite.

A big  issue for us would be any further relaxation of the dress code standards. We think they are  just right  for now,  and would hate  it  if  "X"  became  a  "shorts and flip flops for dinner " cruise line,

We notice that some cruisers say "this is the last straw"  but  then they stick around or return. Must be a reason....

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

The poll helped me focus my priorities and learn  what others find important.

Not one isolated change would cause us to leave X right  now..... but the loss of daily water in AQ Class and  dilution  of priority boarding and disembarkation for AQ class guests has been very disappointing.  We are actually skipping AQ class for a few cruisesm  and finally booked a suite.

A big  issue for us would be any further relaxation of the dress code standards. We think they are  just right  for now,  and would hate  it  if  "X"  became  a  "shorts and flip flops for dinner " cruise line,

We notice that some cruisers say "this is the last straw"  but  then they stick around or return. Must be a reason....

I like the ships and as long as we are not priced out, will stick with X for now. We like the Chic nights - we dressed to the nines on Royal back in the day and are much more comfortable with Chic. We looked at other lines and none were perfect  - sometimes sticking with what you know is good, especially with all the new builds and revolutionized ships to try to add to the excitement.

I think you will like the suite amenities - that will be an exciting cruise!! Is that a birthday cruise?

I don't blame the CEO for any cost saving cuts. She follows the marching orders from the parent company, RCL and the Board. She does what she needs to do to meet performance goals set by her superiors. 

I currently have one Celebrity cruise, October 24th SIL TA on my schedule and a B2B on Crystal Serenity starting November 24th. I will book Celebrity if I know friends are on board or if there is a really good price for an intenary  I want to take, but I will be looking at the true luxury lines to recapture what I once found on Celebrity. Either things have changed, or I just changed, but I no longer consider myself loyal to the extent that I only consider spending my cruise dollars on Celebrity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Regarding items like the nice bag which used to be included in concierge class:  Lord knows I have plenty of them already.  I can certainly bring one along with me.  What is annoying is to board the ship (having not brought one with me) expecting to find it and being told they are no longer an amenity of that cabin class.  The same with real tables on the balcony.  They were always there before.

As for other lines, I've already branched out.  MSC's Yacht Club provides a very good alternative to Celebrity's suite class.  Now they just need to provide some decent itineraries.  The only reason I currently have some Celebrity cruises booked is that they were unusual itineraries.  For the same old, same old Caribbean itineraries, I now go by price, and Celebrity is not winning that race.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Orator said:

I don't blame the CEO for any cost saving cuts. She follows the marching orders from the parent company, RCL and the Board. She does what she needs to do to meet performance goals set by her superiors. 

I currently have one Celebrity cruise, October 24th SIL TA on my schedule and a B2B on Crystal Serenity starting November 24th. I will book Celebrity if I know friends are on board or if there is a really good price for an intenary  I want to take, but I will be looking at the true luxury lines to recapture what I once found on Celebrity. Either things have changed, or I just changed, but I no longer consider myself loyal to the extent that I only consider spending my cruise dollars on Celebrity.

You struck a chord with me about how we change too, not just the cruiselines. Our interests have certainly changed over time. When we were younger and cruised with the same group of friends every year, Royal fit well (hard to believe now). I had looked at Celebrity and had no interest in a luxury line at that time - we wanted all the latest and greatest activities and lots of venue choices. By the time we turned to X about 8 years ago, it was a great fit - we were looking for an adult atmosphere, less smoke and a bit of luxury.  X still has enough luxury for our taste for now, but that could change as time marches on. There are lots of choices out there,  if we further evolve. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Regarding items like the nice bag which used to be included in concierge class:  Lord knows I have plenty of them already.  I can certainly bring one along with me.  What is annoying is to board the ship (having not brought one with me) expecting to find it and being told they are no longer an amenity of that cabin class.  The same with real tables on the balcony.  They were always there before.

As for other lines, I've already branched out.  MSC's Yacht Club provides a very good alternative to Celebrity's suite class.  Now they just need to provide some decent itineraries.  The only reason I currently have some Celebrity cruises booked is that they were unusual itineraries.  For the same old, same old Caribbean itineraries, I now go by price, and Celebrity is not winning that race.

I agree that if you are expecting something and it changed, it is the hardest to take. I cleaned out a closet and threw out a lot of those X bags last week (the cheap ones) - I did save the navy one with the faux leather handles. 🙂

Added amenities since we began cruising in Celebrity

Anytime Dining

Much better selections in buffets

No more formal nights and a very relaxed dress code

Gluten free items

Vegan and Vegetarian Menus

Beverage Packages

Internet and Internet packages

Gratuities are now automatic, no more envelopes and searching for crew to tip

More than one dining option, MDR, Buffet, Mast Grill, all included

Coffee Bar with great coffee and free pastries

Pillow choice, mattress toppers, wedges for those with GERD

Special cabins for disabled passengers

Dogs now allowed on the ships (even emotional support)

Self Disembarking

Daily Trivia

Special Lounge and Restaurant for suites

Aquaclass

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Ding ding ding

You nailed it.  To book with expectations and amenities are just missing isn’t right.

And if these things were provided before and the cruise line made money, why not continue.

I’ve been cruising since 1984 and don’t want to buy blow up footstools, put breakfast on my knees on the balcony and bring my own good shampoo and get nickel & dimed for every little expense.  Kinda takes the fun out of the vacation.

No longer very loyal to Celebrity, haven’t sailed with them for a few years — instead sailed Oceania & Disney and look forward to Holland America.  Have one sailing with Celebrity booked with our adult son who hasn’t sailed a Solstice ship.  The Elite benefits aren’t enough to convince me  

• Like 1

I wanted to compliment you on such a well-thought-out poll.  It's interesting.  I made my choices with a little inkling of "am I normal?" in the back of my head.  The four things I put at a 5 or above were complimentary room service, bathrobes, priority embarkation, and priority tendering.  The one that the plurality of people care about - twice daily servicing of the rooms - is not something I even use as most of the time we ask them just to come by once.  I think it might be connected to our love of the free room service and not wanting to be disturbed, haha.  😁

Nevertheless, the loss of no one or two items would make me look elsewhere.  I'm in love with the Solstice ships and excited to try Apex in April.

1 minute ago, JMB27 said:

I wanted to compliment you on such a well-thought-out poll.  It's interesting.  I made my choices with a little inkling of "am I normal?" in the back of my head.  The four things I put at a 5 or above were complimentary room service, bathrobes, priority embarkation, and priority tendering.  The one that the plurality of people care about - twice daily servicing of the rooms - is not something I even use as most of the time we ask them just to come by once.  I think it might be connected to our love of the free room service and not wanting to be disturbed, haha.  😁

Nevertheless, the loss of no one or two items would make me look elsewhere.  I'm in love with the Solstice ships and excited to try Apex in April.

There's no normal answers, I guess. It is interesting that people have different things they value - I always bring my own lighter robe, but absolutely love coming back late at night after a wonderful day to see the room tidied up, the dailies laid out, lots of fresh towels, the bed turned down and one of those cheap chocolates waiting for us. 😉

I will also be on the Apex in April and can't wait!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

There's no normal answers, I guess. It is interesting that people have different things they value - I always bring my own lighter robe, but absolutely love coming back late at night after a wonderful day to see the room tidied up, the dailies laid out, lots of fresh towels, the bed turned down and one of those cheap chocolates waiting for us. 😉

I will also be on the Apex in April and can't wait!

Oh yes, I do love that!  It's the service earlier in the day that I forego, haha.  I realized how different we all are when the "free movies" threads started, as it's something I couldn't care less about but soon understood that I was in the minority there!  We all vacation differently and feel rewarded by our own luxuries!  These types of threads are a great reminder that my view is not dispositive.  😊

Looking forward to your "live from" in April!  (I recall your stating elsewhere you'd be doing one.)  I'm a couple of sailings later than you, on the 23rd, and am tempted to do one myself as well.

Don't really care about the balcony furniture but am upset at the deletion of ANY coffee table on Millennium and Summit concierge cabins.Had to bring the balcony table in. Again the tiny coffee / storage table in concierge cabins on Edge was a joke !!!

The main issue is that they keep deleting items and adding extra costs. Now they will charge gratuities on the "free" beverage packages!

1 minute ago, JMB27 said:

Oh yes, I do love that!  It's the service earlier in the day that I forego, haha.  I realized how different we all are when the "free movies" threads started, as it's something I couldn't care less about but soon understood that I was in the minority there!  We all vacation differently and feel rewarded by our own luxuries!  These types of threads are a great reminder that my view is not dispositive.  😊

Looking forward to your "live from" in April!  (I recall your stating elsewhere you'd be doing one.)  I'm a couple of sailings later than you, on the 23rd, and am tempted to do one myself as well.

Okay, that makes sense that you give up the earlier cabin service. I couldn't believe that you would pass up those chocolates.

You should definitely do a live thread on the Apex. The Edge evolved so quickly last year that I think it's good to get fresh perspectives as a new ship settles in.  Hopefully, the Apex will have less growing pains. 🙂

• Like 1