New "fee" of $14/day on Perks Drink Package to be added?

Lady_Gamecock

Friends, 

A nasty rumor is going around that recently (yesterday) there was a release from Celebrity to TAs that all Perk Drink Packages, will now have a $14/day surcharge charge, added upon embarkation. 

This amount is not a "tip", or an amount to upgrade the package to Premium, but a daily fee associated to having the perk.

Have any of you heard of this? I'm hoping this is simply a rumor, but the rumor spreader seemed fixed in their declaration and concluded with it was "in X's plans to implement" once they introduced the Premium Plus Package (which should be completely independent of this discussion).

Thanks to any help you all may be! This may change our future decisions on perks. 

Lady_G

: Each of the first two guests in a qualifying inside, ocean view, veranda, Concierge Class, or AquaClass stateroom are eligible to receive two amenities with the choice of a “Two Perks Included” rate: Classic Beverage Package, Unlimited Internet Package, $150 per person onboard credit (“OBC”), or Prepaid Gratuities. Selecting the Beverage Package Perk will result in an increase to the price of cruise fare; amount varies by length of sailing

Terms and conditions comes from the new "deal" flyer http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/CEL_October_Offer_OBC_Plus_KidsSailFree_Non_Editable.pdf

It looks like the last "deal" except the $400 off discount is now $400 OBC.  To me this is a pretty good price increase as non-refundable OBC is really of no interest.

They are also back to requiring a non-refundable deposit to be able to book with no perks.

It will be interesting to see what pricing difference people start reporting.

Edited by wrk2cruise

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

: Each of the first two guests in a qualifying inside, ocean view, veranda, Concierge Class, or AquaClass stateroom are eligible to receive two amenities with the choice of a “Two Perks Included” rate: Classic Beverage Package, Unlimited Internet Package, $150 per person onboard credit (“OBC”), or Prepaid Gratuities. Selecting the Beverage Package Perk will result in an increase to the price of cruise fare; amount varies by length of sailing

Terms and conditions comes from the current "deal" flyer http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/CEL_October_Offer_OBC_Plus_KidsSailFree_Non_Editable.pdf

They are also back to requiring a non-refundable deposit to be able to book with no perks.

So....

Is this going to be applied to new bookings, or should I expect to shell out $252 in November on our 9- night out of Port Everglades, for my husband and me? (Why not factor this new fee into the rate so I don't kick off my cruise already in the hole?)

Thanks for the update. I had not expected to use half of my OBC towards fees that I didn't expect. 

Lady_G

There is no mention as to the actual amount of the increase in the cruise fare.  However it is pretty clear that it will be added to the cruise fare at the time the beverage package is selected so I've very sure it's new bookings (or repriced bookings).

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This seems to apply ONLY to this special flyer.

What it says, IMHO, is that they are including two perks in the fare, but if you choose Bev Pkg as one, they will raise the price of the cruise, since Bev Pkg is more expensive than any of the others.

This will be done at booking, NOT embarkation.

Edited by bookitdanno
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

This seems to apply ONLY to this special flyer.

What it says, IMHO, is that they are including two perks in the fare, but if you choose Bev Pkg as one, they will raise the price of the cruise, since Bev Pkg is more expensive than any of the others.

This will be done at booking, NOT embarkation.

I agree with your interpretation. The additional charge will be added to cruise fare

• Like 1

And if this does become the norm..it is really not a  "no upcharge"  perk for alc package but  a reduce cost alc package perk..for Classic?

Whoever is doing offers and pricing  on behalf of X is jumping around so much..very chaotic!  Their  lackluster IT Dept will really be challenged!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

It won’t be on the website until the promo starts. TAs get these flyers ahead of time. 

Thanks. We'll see if this one materializes like the 1 Sep. 2019 one didn't that someone posted from a TA source.  

Edited by davekathy

3 hours ago, Lady_Gamecock said:

Is this going to be applied to new bookings, or should I expect to shell out $252 in November on our 9- night out of Port Everglades

If you are already booked the new perk pricing has no effect on your current reservation.

Only reservations made starting next week, October 3rd and onward.

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Define what a serious drinker and a not so serious drinker is. 🙄

North of equator occassional tipple.

South of equator, get it inside you before it runs out.

When dear MiL comes, mentally I am south of the equator.🍻🍻 (my round)

42 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

About time they level the playing field between the serious drinkers and not so serious drinkers.

We usually take OBC and the Classic Alc perk, if 2 are offered. They are making booking a cruise like a trip to the dentist!

Will it be worth it to pay  $28 extra for two daily  for  someone like me who has no more than one alcoholic drink a day, if that...but enjoys special  tea, water, and  club soda. Dh might  have 2 beers and a scotch, max,,,  I think serious drinkers almost aways move up to the Premium..We have been  happy with the Classic.

. We  will now have to do a  spreadsheet type analysis.  Would the cost/ value of our drink expense equal  $28 extra  per day ?  We can carry on waters & sodas, 2 btls of wine for the cabin , buy dh a btl of scotch from the online  gifts  and get on board freebies at the Elite hour..  spoiled by not having to sign chits for all we order but it may come back to that,..

Could take OBC and use that to cover a dining package or specialty dining  instead,,,

We have 4 cruises already booked so  who knows what will happen by our next booking???

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

We usually take OBC and the Classic Alc perk, if 2 are offered. They are making booking a cruise like a trip to the dentist!

Will it be worth it to pay  $28 extrac for two daily  for  someone like me who has no more than one alcoholic drink a day, if that...but enjoys special  tea, water, and  club soda. Dh might  have 2 beers and a scotch, max,,,  I think serious drinkers almost aways move up to the Premium..We have been  happy with the Classic.

. We  will now have to do a  spreadsheet type analysis.  Would the cost/ value of our drink expense equal  $28 extra  per day ?  We can carry on waters & sodas, 2 btls of wine for the cabin , buy dh a btl of scotch from the online  gifts  and get on board freebies at the Elite hour..  spoiled by not having to sign chits for all we order but it may come back to that,..

Could take OBC and use that to cover a dining package or specialty fining  instead,,,

We have 4 cruises already booked so  who knows what will hapoen by our next booking???

For our children, we get OBC and Tips paid; originally, their drinks package offered was only the classic non-alcoholic and they only drink the frozen virgin drinks (which isn't covered). It's cheaper for us to pay for that out-of-pocket.

DH and I get the classic (upgrade to Premium) and OBCs. We maximize the use of the drink package in all facets available. (Teas, Sparkling Water, Bottled Drinks, Premium Alcohol)  🤣

Lady_G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Define what a serious drinker and a not so serious drinker is. 🙄

A serious drinker is someone who drinks enough that the perk has some value if they apply them self. The not so serious drinker, like us, has a drink or two occasionally, or none. This is their target group who drinks some but changes their normal pattern in order to get their “monies worth” for getting the package. Some of the reasoning is it includes specialty coffees, soft drinks, premium water. Also, the connivence of not having to sign a slip, plus they can try different drinks and not having to drink them if they don’t like them. My favorite, not surprised by a huge bar bill at the end of the cruise. Easy cure for that, watch your spending so there won’t be any surprises.

The point was about leveling the playing field. Everybody should have to pick a perk they want where all of them have a somewhat equal value. The choices and value now are: prepaid gratuities $103 p.p., $150 p.p. obc, and classic drink package $430+ p.p. The new charge only adds $98 p.p. so there is still a bias that way, but it’s a start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, but I see this as extremely deceptive on the part of Celebrity.  The large print says "Two Perks Included (w/ Refundable and Non-refundable Deposit)".  This has always meant included in the fare.  Now the fine print (i.e. T&Cs) says ONLY KIDDING - the beverage package is not included unless you pay an even higher fare.  You would only know this if you read the T&Cs.  

Lesson learned.,  It seems you can no longer trust the descriptions given by Celebrity for their products and services.  You must now read the T&Cs associated with everything you buy from them - EVERY TIME YOU BUY.   I do read the T&Cs on new offers - usually to see restrictions on dates/sailings.  I do not read the T&Cs every time I book I sale/promotion/perk/etc. that I am familiar with.  Changing the meaning of "Included" to mean "Included (at extra charge) is misleading at best.

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 8

Nobody will be surprised onboard.  It should be added to your cruise fare during the booking process.  I suspect one of the reasons it wasn't rolled out in Sept as rumored is the Celebrity website wasn't able to handle it.  It should be included in the booking total they give you much like taxes/fees are added in at the end.

• Like 1