Logistics for Longer Cruises

Bxianesq

On 9/29/2019 at 1:07 PM, FlyerTalker said:

In today's world of electronic banking, you are far more likely to have a "disruption" if you pay by a physical check than via an electronic transfer.

In addition, if you make an electronic transfer on Day 1, you can then go back on Day 2 and see that it processed.  And if it didn't, you can always call your bank.

I have yet to have had a glitch paying a credit card electronically while traveling - over many many a year.

Same here.

I do my accounting the last weekend of the month, and set up all bills to be paid.  I only have one bill (lawn company) that requires a physical check.

22 hours ago, ducklite said:

Why not just set up your card to automatically draft your checking account for the full balance every month prior to the due date?  That's what I do, even though 99.99% of the time I'e already paid the balance in full prior to that date.  But that way if I get hit by a truck, I know it's taken care of.

I don't, because I want to review the bill BEFORE it is paid.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ducklite said:

I've paid probably 600 bills electronically in the past three years, and had not a single one go wrong.  On the other hand I had the USPS lose a check that was sent to me by my sister (and yes, she sent it and had to pay $30 to have the bank stop payment) and mangle a refund check my doctor sent.

YEARS ago, we sent payments for our company and personal AMEX cards via FedEx.  AMEX stated they never got them.

While on hold, I called FedEx and got the date, time, and who signed for them.  And had FedEx fax me a copy of the signature.

AMEX came back on line, and said they checked, but it never got there.  I told them the date, time and name and asked if they wanted a copy of the signature.

They removed the late charges and interest charge. 😄

On 10/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, SRF said:

However if this isn't possible, it's better to pay it rather than incur a late fee.  

I've contested a charge even after the bill was paid, no problems.  It turned into a credit towards the next bill (I had been double billed by a merchant.)

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 1:31 PM, SRF said:

YEARS ago, we sent payments for our company and personal AMEX cards via FedEx.  AMEX stated they never got them.

While on hold, I called FedEx and got the date, time, and who signed for them.  And had FedEx fax me a copy of the signature.

AMEX came back on line, and said they checked, but it never got there.  I told them the date, time and name and asked if they wanted a copy of the signature.

They removed the late charges and interest charge. 😄

It is easy for folks to find lots of reasons to make their own life more difficult :).  With major credit cards it is easy to arrange for a direct debit from your checking account (or any other bank account you designate).  You also have the ability to keep an eye on all of your credit card accounts by simply logging into your account on a daily , weekly, or whatever basis.  In fact, if anything is charged on some of my credit cards it will immediately cause an alert on my iWatch where I can see the charge.  But I understand that some folks are reticent to jump into the modern world of electronic funds transfers, online transactions, etc.  In a sense those folks create their own difficulties when it comes to extended travel.

DW and I are in travel mode about half the year.  For us, two month trips (anywhere in the world) are a norm and we have learned how to deal with most of the day to day challenges.  When we started our extensive travel schedule, things were not so easy.  Now, I can get through an entire year and hardly need to write a check.  The current banking and credit card systems in the USA are very accommodating for travelers and we take advantage of all the options.  Fortunately, we do have a lot of protections in our country which helps us sleep at night.  The biggest problem we (and many others) now face with longer travel are the hassles with prescription drugs.    It is not often discussed on CC, but it is a huge problem.  Just consider somebody who legitimately  needs pain killers but cannot find anyway to get more then a 30 day supply.  How do they take a 120 day world cruise or a long trip?  Even getting basic prescription drugs such as statins and BP drugs can be a real challenge for many  travelers.

Hank

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

prescription drugs.

I haven't had this issue in a long time but I have some recollection that for non-controlled substances you can get more than 90 days.  Regarding the controlled ones, I've gotten 90 days for non-narcotic but controlled through mail order when we were with Aetna.  Now we're with Humana so haven't needed to try.  Yet.

I think the longest we've been gone at one time is about a month but we're on the go regularly.  Just back from a two week drive/stay trip.  Another one in ten days and another after that.  And then a cruise for about three weeks in December.  And then a few days after that.  LOL.  At least our finances are easy to handle!

On 10/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, SRF said:

Interesting.  I am able, at any time, to review my current and pending charges on ALL of my credit cards. I just log onto my accounts with Amex, BoA, Chase, CapOne and others. So I can "review" them 24/7 and dispute or challenge any charge at any time.

Curious about how YOUR credit cards won't allow you to review a bill online before it is time to be paid.  Maybe you have some special card that does things differently.  Perhaps you can warn us about these so that we aren't placed in this difficult position.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 6:27 PM, SRF said:

Why the need to write a cheque - review the bill and then transfer the money electronically?  

Is America the only country in the world that still uses cheques ?

Oh this is easy.

Leave spare key with neighbours but wont burden them with responsibilities other than a routine check of outsdie of house. Plants are not their responsibility. If they die, they die. Plants not the neighbours.

Turn everything off. Lock the doors and leave.

Dont worry about what might happen. Lifes too short.

Enjoy.

ps.

All bills are paid by direct debit, and are paperless accounts, so rarely get any mail these days. Just junk mail, which can remain junk.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

@FlyerTalker I imagine it's not just about credit cards.  Utilities such as gas and electric also come into play.  Some of those, especially smaller ones, may be a little behind as far as electronic billing and payment processing.

Surely everyone these days sets up direct debits to pay utility bills?

14 hours ago, ducklite said:

However if this isn't possible, it's better to pay it rather than incur a late fee.  

I've contested a charge even after the bill was paid, no problems.  It turned into a credit towards the next bill (I had been double billed by a merchant.)

Why would it not be possible?

I carry a tablet or laptop.  I have an VPN installed on each.  So I can check from just about everywhere.  And if there is no wifi, I can hotspot from my phone or tablet.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Why would it not be possible?

I carry a tablet or laptop.  I have an VPN installed on each.  So I can check from just about everywhere.  And if there is no wifi, I can hotspot from my phone or tablet.

There are some parts of the world where it is almost impossible to get on the Internet.  For example we are planning a 30-some day trip that transverses the Antarctic Circle starting in Argentina and ending in NZ.  I can use my phone to access all of my accounts.  But when there is no service--or very spotty service that might not allow a connection long enough to review charges--there's not much you can do about it.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely everyone these days sets up direct debits to pay utility bills?

My water company doesn't.  They are terrible and about to be investigated by the state attorney general for an alleged fraud committed by some of their employees a number of years ago that was uncovered by a neighbor who was digging through a pile of public records on an unrelated issue.  

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

There are some parts of the world where it is almost impossible to get on the Internet.  For example we are planning a 30-some day trip that transverses the Antarctic Circle starting in Argentina and ending in NZ.  I can use my phone to access all of my accounts.  But when there is no service--or very spotty service that might not allow a connection long enough to review charges--there's not much you can do about it.

So you don't touch land for 30 days?   I have had internet in every country I have visited.  But that is only 149 countries.

And the ship does not have wifi?  The satellites are geostationary, so can be hit as long as you aren't right at the pole.

And Amazon with some others, is planning on a constellation of 12000 low earth orbit satellites to cover the world.

I set up my bills to be paid on the due date for that month.  I only need a short time with internet access to add a few more to make it to the next port.

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

So you don't touch land for 30 days?   I have had internet in every country I have visited.  But that is only 149 countries.

And the ship does not have wifi?  The satellites are geostationary, so can be hit as long as you aren't right at the pole.

And Amazon with some others, is planning on a constellation of 12000 low earth orbit satellites to cover the world.

I set up my bills to be paid on the due date for that month.  I only need a short time with internet access to add a few more to make it to the next port.

Around 25 days are inside the circle.  I would never expect to have stable enough WiFi to rely on it for something important like paying bills on time.  My bills are also set to be paid when due--whether I've reviewed them or not.  On that cruise it's possible it will be a "not."  I"m not worried about it, if there is an error it will be easily corrected with a phone call at my convenience.  

On 10/4/2019 at 5:45 PM, Mary229 said:

I am not going to do that.  Suffice it to say I have had more than one issue in all of those years.  I also spent the better part of 24 hours on the phone twice. I am not doing that anymore. I don’t see what the problem in plopping down a few extra grand to protect my good financial reputation and have a worry free vacation.  Realize most of my travels extend well beyond 30 days.   I don’t do this for shorter durations. 

If you have a 20,000 credit limit,  that is what you have. If you add 5,000 in "credit ", you can still only rack up $20,000 on charges, not $25,000

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why the need to write a cheque - review the bill and then transfer the money electronically?  

Is America the only country in the world that still uses cheques ?

Lets just say that some folks in North America are still in the last century.  I just went to a retirement luncheon today and this topic was discussed (most of the attendees travel).  A couple of ladies (both University graduate Registered Nurses) said they were afraid to use electronic funds transfers.  I asked them why and they both said they didn't like the idea of folks knowing their bank account numbers.  I then asked them if they had ever looked at what is on the bottom of their checks which did get a laugh from just about everyone.  They admitted it had never occurred to them.  They just assumed checks were safe.

We are also one of the last countries to still use signatures for credit card transactions.  Go figure.  About 5 years ago I wanted to get a Chip/PIN card (to use in Europe/Asia) and I had to search around the USA to find a Credit Union that issued a Chip/PIN Visa.  Even today, very few US banks issue credit cards with Chip/PIN.

Hank

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Not me.

I pay by credit card.  To get the points. 😄

You can't automatically pay utility bills by credit card in the UK, hence the need to set up a variable direct debit. 

Even if you could, as I'm sure you know, the cc card industry in the UK is not "into" points in the same way as seems to be the case in the US. 

It's a good thing my parents don't take long trips...My mom still writes a check at the grocery. If she needs cash, she writes the check for more than the bill. For example, grocery bill is $40, she'll make the check for $80 and have the cashier give her 2 $20s LOL It's not a security issue, it's habit. She will do this until she is no longer allowed.

Edited by JennyB1977

Just now, JennyB1977 said:

It's a good thing my parents don't take long trips...My mom still writes a check at the grocery. If she needs cash, she writes the check for more than the bill. For example, grocery bill is $40, she'll make the check for $80 and have the cashier give her 2 $20s LOL It's not a security issue, it's habit. She will do this until she is no longer allowed.

Your Mom had best not come shopping in the UK!  Shops no longer accept cheques, and the banks no longer issue cheque guarantee cards. To do what your Mom does,  you simply pay with a debit card, and ask for cash back.   

• Like 1

@wowzz It's funny because she was born in Germany, we lived overseas for years when I was a child and have traveled through Europe. This was back in the era of Traveler's Cheques. My folks have credit cards and my dad is savvy and still does a lot of consulting.  They would be okay, I was pointing out how some folks do a lot of tasks out of habit. 🙂