Divina theme?

daisy-mae

I have just returned from a cruise on the Divina, and am wondering if anyone else was puzzled by the disconnect between the name of the ship and the "theme" in the buffet area.

More specifically, what do two North American Indian terms - Calumet (peace pipe) and Manitou (spiritual life force) have to do with an Italian vessel? And in view of the current trend against cultural appropriation, how is it that the depiction of Indian men in full head-dress on the walls seems to have gone unnoticed?

I am not pushing political correctness, just a little curious.

17 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I have just returned from a cruise on the Divina, and am wondering if anyone else was puzzled by the disconnect between the name of the ship and the "theme" in the buffet area.

More specifically, what do two North American Indian terms - Calumet (peace pipe) and Manitou (spiritual life force) have to do with an Italian vessel? And in view of the current trend against curiationltural approp, how is it that the depiction of Indian men in full head-dress on the walls seems to have gone unnoticed?

I am not pushing political correctness, just a little curious.

How about Americans also doing the " cultural appropriation" bit:

Best Italian pizzas - only from New York

Best Polish bakeries - only in Chicargo

And so on.

🍻 Best from Germany and Czech.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The theme was an attempt to bring a North American connection into the ship when the ship was deployed to the US.

So I guess I should scan Sophia Loren's filmography to see if she appeared in any westerns?

🙂

3 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

How about Americans also doing the " cultural appropriation" bit:

Best Italian pizzas - only from New York

Best Polish bakeries - only in Chicargo

And so on.

🍻 Best from Germany and Czech.

Actually, the famed New York pizza is that made by the Neapolitan immigrants so it is actually pizza as made in Naples and would meet the standards of the Associazone Verace Pizza Napoletana.

As far as beer goes, I used to think that the beer from Germany was the best.  Then I traveled to Belgium and I realized I was wrong. 

24 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Actually, the famed New York pizza is that made by the Neapolitan immigrants so it is actually pizza as made in Naples and would meet the standards of the Associazone Verace Pizza Napoletana.

As far as beer goes, I used to think that the beer from Germany was the best.  Then I traveled to Belgium and I realized I was wrong. 

Belgian beer was Ok until it was discovered by tourist who turned it into a hype.