Cardiac services on board

lbfluffy

We are scheduled to go on the Coral on November 17th this year. My husband was just diagnosed with AFIB. They are controlling in with meds to suppress the rate for 90 days until they try an ablation. So if he needs to be Cardio inverted (shocked) does the ship have that capability. 

4 minutes ago, lbfluffy said:

We are scheduled to go on the Coral on November 17th this year. My husband was just diagnosed with AFIB. They are controlling in with meds to suppress the rate for 90 days until they try an ablation. So if he needs to be Cardio inverted (shocked) does the ship have that capability. 

Probably a question best asked of Princess.  I wouldn't want to put my trust in random public forum responses.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lbfluffy said:

IMO......this would be the last place to ask serious medical question like that.

• Like 4

1) Don't bet his life on a CC answer.

2) Don't bet his life on an answer except from the Holland America Group medical dept -- which I doubt they'd give.

3) It's a preexisting condition, and a helicopter evacuation is *expensive*.

Edited by Haboob

2 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

For an afib episode is not always necessary cardio invention. This is the last resort. For most people medication is enough. And the medical center is equipped for this. 

If your husband was just diagnosed with Afib, it does not mean that he will have another episode in a week or in a month. I think that your husband should discuss with his doctor if it is safe to travel and what he should do in case of an episode. 

My advise will be for your husband to have an Apple Watch ( at least 4 ) so he can check his EKG if he feels that something is not right. Another device that will show possible afib is Kardia  

https://store.alivecor.com/products/kardiamobile?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxeLN_qb15AIVD_DACh2gzQeNEAAYASAAEgL1P_D_BwE

That works with an app on a smart phone.

There are many medications that can be useful in controlling Afib, before an ablation is performed. 

I do have Afib for several years and I had an episode while on a princess cruise. But before going to Medical Center I used Kardia and the watch to make sure this is the case. The medical center had the medication needed and I was back to normal in time for dinner. I had to go back the next day for a check up  and I even got some medication to use in case of emergency on the flight home.good I did not need it.

• Like 1

I am a retired RN who worked on a cardiac unit of a hospital, and assisted the physicians with numerous cardioversions. I can tell you that the medical equipment used to perform a cardioversion for A Fib is the same equipment used in a "Code Blue" emergency situation to shock the heart into a normal rhythm. Being that the ship's medical center has equipment like this to deal with emergencies, much like what an ER has, I expect it would be possible in an emergency. 

But, your best action would be to speak with your husband's cardiologist about the wisdom of him traveling between now and the anticipated ablation. If he gets cleared by the doctor, you need to communicate with Princess to find out whether they are even willing to have him onboard, given his cardiac problem and the potential for another episode while onboard.

Edited by flamomo
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

And his doc still recommends he take this cruise?  

Edited by pms4104

39 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I wouldn't even think about a cruise with AFIB.

Many people have AFIB. It is way more common than you think. People live with this for many years and travel extensively.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

AFIB is one of the more common arrhythmias. Many people have it for decades and live completely normal lives.  As long as your cardiologist says its ok there is no reason not to take a cruise.

Agree that CC is not the place to take medical advice, however a defibrillator (which is the device used in a cardioversion) is probably the most common piece of EM equipment available. There is a 100% chance that every cruise ship has one.  It would be negligent NOT to have one.  If you experienced a cardiac event on a cruise ship and they didn't have a defibrillator you probably just won your lawsuit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2ferfun said:

AFIB is one of the more common arrhythmias. Many people have it for decades and live completely normal lives.  As long as your cardiologist says its ok there is no reason not to take a cruise.

Agree that CC is not the place to take medical advice, however a defibrillator (which is the device used in a cardioversion) is probably the most common piece of EM equipment available. There is a 100% chance that every cruise ship has one.  It would be negligent NOT to have one.  If you experienced a cardiac event on a cruise ship and they didn't have a defibrillator you probably just won your lawsuit.

I work at a college campus and we have an AED in every building and have for probably 15 years. Commercial planes are required to carry them. They are amazing technology and easy to use!

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, flamomo said:

I am a retired RN who worked on a cardiac unit of a hospital, and assisted the physicians with numerous cardioversions. I can tell you that the medical equipment used to perform a cardioversion for A Fib is the same equipment used in a "Code Blue" emergency situation to shock the heart into a normal rhythm. Being that the ship's medical center has equipment like this to deal with emergencies, much like what an ER has, I expect it would be possible in an emergency. 

But, your best action would be to speak with your husband's cardiologist about the wisdom of him traveling between now and the anticipated ablation. If he gets cleared by the doctor, you need to communicate with Princess to find out whether they are even willing to have him onboard, given his cardiac problem and the potential for another episode while onboard.

👍

7 hours ago, Pansy2801 said:

For an afib episode is not always necessary cardio invention. This is the last resort. For most people medication is enough. And the medical center is equipped for this. 

If your husband was just diagnosed with Afib, it does not mean that he will have another episode in a week or in a month. I think that your husband should discuss with his doctor if it is safe to travel and what he should do in case of an episode. 

My advise will be for your husband to have an Apple Watch ( at least 4 ) so he can check his EKG if he feels that something is not right. Another device that will show possible afib is Kardia  

https://store.alivecor.com/products/kardiamobile?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxeLN_qb15AIVD_DACh2gzQeNEAAYASAAEgL1P_D_BwE

That works with an app on a smart phone.

There are many medications that can be useful in controlling Afib, before an ablation is performed. 

I do have Afib for several years and I had an episode while on a princess cruise. But before going to Medical Center I used Kardia and the watch to make sure this is the case. The medical center had the medication needed and I was back to normal in time for dinner. I had to go back the next day for a check up  and I even got some medication to use in case of emergency on the flight home.good I did not need it.

My husband has an Apple Watch. That’s what notified him his heart was not in sinus rhythm. This was last Sunday. We went to dr and he admitted him. He tried ablation, but did not work since it was AFIB. A couple years ago he had SVT which was a heart rate that stayed high. He had an ablation and we thought he was all fixed. We had a 15 Hawaii cruise planned and the cardiologist said he was fine to go and that cruise lines have the equipment for such emergencies. I will double check if the Coral has the equipment. I was just wondering if any of you all had experiences. We see the doctor for the follow up in a couple days. We will see what he thinks. But right now the medication is doing its job, maybe a bit low, but we will revisit that.

thank you all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Why would you think that?  Most folks with AFIB live completely normal lives and participate in all kinds of activities.  My husband was diagnosed with AFIB years ago and was prescribed meds to control it and to prevent the risk of stroke.  We've have cruised numerous times since then with his physicians blessing.  Please don't misinform people who have medical issues that you know nothing about.  Always talk to your doctor about your own specific issues and follow their advice.

• Like 1

People live with AFIB for a long time even without an ablation.  Ignore the advice you get on Cruise Critic, except the advice to speak to your cardiologist.  The type of defibrillator used in a hospital and the type they have on planes and cruise ships are completely different animals.  In a hospital setting where they do inversions, they use a defibrillator that will deliver a shock "on demand" at the number of joules which are manually selected.  AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators) have a computer programmed to detect VFIB not AFIB.  If the AED computer chip does not see VFIB, it will not fire.  AEDs were designed to treat VFIB, not AFIB and should not be relied on to treat AFIB.  Again, I strongly suggest that you speak to your cardiologist about taking the cruise.  He/she will have the definitive answer based on your husband's particular situation.

As an aside, research is establishing a connection between AFIB and sleep apnea.  Has your husband had a sleep study performed?  You may want to look into this.

Enjoy your cruise and I'm sure your husband will be just fine if he follows the doctor's orders.

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

People live with AFIB for a long time even without an ablation.  Ignore the advice you get on Cruise Critic, except the advice to speak to your cardiologist.  The type of defibrillator used in a hospital and the type they have on planes and cruise ships are completely different animals.  In a hospital setting where they do inversions, they use a defibrillator that will deliver a shock "on demand" at the number of joules which are manually selected.  AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators) have a computer programmed to detect VFIB not AFIB.  If the AED computer chip does not see VFIB, it will not fire.  AEDs were designed to treat VFIB, not AFIB and should not be relied on to treat AFIB.  Again, I strongly suggest that you speak to your cardiologist about taking the cruise.  He/she will have the definitive answer based on your husband's particular situation.

Thanks! I agree about talking to your doctor. AFIB is very common and people cruise all the time with them.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

As an aside, research is establishing a connection between AFIB and sleep apnea.  Has your husband had a sleep study performed?  You may want to look into this.

Enjoy your cruise and I'm sure your husband will be just fine if he follows the doctor's orders.

This is not true. They absolutely have manual defibrillators on cruise ships. Still good advice to talk to your Dr.

Edited by 2ferfun

4 minutes ago, 2ferfun said:

This is not true. They absolutely have manual defibrillators on cruise ships. Still good advice to talk to your Dr.

I was referencing the AEDs which are generally available in to the public in public areas - not medical facilities.  I would imagine that the ship's medical center would have the same type of portable manual defibrillators that paramedic fly cars use.  I don't know if medical protocols and manufacturer's limitations allow for them to be used for AFIB.  But as I said I don't know about the portable manual defibs but I do know the AED wants to see VFIB.

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

I was referencing the AEDs which are generally available in to the public in public areas - not medical facilities.  I would imagine that the ship's medical center would have the same type of portable manual defibrillators that paramedic fly cars use.  I don't know if medical protocols and manufacturer's limitations allow for them to be used for AFIB.  But as I said I don't know about the portable manual defibs but I do know the AED wants to see VFIB.

Yep, you are correct about AEDs. Not necessarily VFIB only but an AED will only fire if it recognizes a shockable rhythm. Usually VFIB and VTACH.  Princess onboard medical facilities have the exact same devices as your local ER. Both the physician and the device can handle a cardioversion emergent event. Still talk to your Dr.

• Thanks 1