No more balloon drop?

h-sar

Just read on another thread that Princess is doing away with the piazza balloon drops due to environmental reasons almost immediately. Can anyone else confirm this?  Didn’t want to start this line of questioning on that other thread as it has little to do with the original poster’s question. We’ve been on a Princess ship every Christmas or New Yrs for the past dozen yrs and it was one of my favourite things. Don’t want to turn this into an environmental debate...just looking to see if anyone else has heard this or if it’s a rumour at this point. Thanks! 

Well we won't miss it at all. We went to one of them years ago and it was total chaos and mass confusion. The people act like they are dropping free cruise and OBC credit certificates. If anything we'll watch the pandemonium from afar seeing other people get drinks spilled on them and feet stepped on. Actually saw people get in a shoving match over an empty balloon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, shanecindy21403 said:

Well we won't miss it at all. We went to one of them years ago and it was total chaos and mass confusion. The people act like they are dropping free cruise and OBC credit certificates. If anything we'll watch the pandemonium from afar seeing other people get drinks spilled on them and feet stepped on. Actually saw people get in a shoving match over an empty balloon.

👍

We've never gone down in the crowd. Watched one from above and thought, "is this all there is?". Now we don't bother.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

👍

We've never gone down in the crowd. Watched one from above and thought, "is this all there is?". Now we don't bother.

same for us - is/was there ever anything in the balloons that was worth anything ... free cruise, OBC, drinks ?

2 hours ago, h-sar said:

Just read on another thread that Princess is doing away with the piazza balloon drops due to environmental reasons almost immediately. Can anyone else confirm this?  Didn’t want to start this line of questioning on that other thread as it has little to do with the original poster’s question. We’ve been on a Princess ship every Christmas or New Yrs for the past dozen yrs and it was one of my favourite things. Don’t want to turn this into an environmental debate...just looking to see if anyone else has heard this or if it’s a rumour at this point. Thanks! 

Sadly it's true. It's also one of favorite things on board both weekly and for New year's!

• Like 1

The balloon drop is in the piazza and not anywhere near the ocean so I am rather perplexed as to the effect on the environment unless the ship gathers the spent balloons and tosses them overboard.  We were on the Sapphire in June and they had the balloon drop on both cruises (b2b).  I do watch it most of the time from the upper decks overlooking the piazza and enjoy it but have not seen any of the things mentioned above.  Sorry to hear they are eliminating it but it has run its course and needs to be replaced by something else.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, shanecindy21403 said:

I thought "years ago" that one balloon contained a free cruise certificate.  Maybe I misheard.

We will be on Princess for the first time in December. (Grand Princess to Hawaii)  I'm sorry to see this tradition go away because it was unique to Princess and we looked forward the experience.  But I am sure there other things unique to Princess that we will also love experiencing.  The thing is, times are changing.  We all (human race) need to become more environmentally aware/responsible.  These things - billions of rubber pieces - end up in landfills (at best) and in the waterways.  I know we will still enjoy our cruise...  I am lucky to even be on the ship!  Peace to all!  Happy cruising!🥳

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

The balloon drop is in the piazza and not anywhere near the ocean so I am rather perplexed as to the effect on the environment unless the ship gathers the spent balloons and tosses them overboard.

Well, if they all stayed inside, we wouldn't be finding them inside of whales, turtles and birds, would we? But we are.

People take them, they blow away, etc....

Glad to see them go.

• Like 5

Balloon drop on  Coral Princes in August.

Doing away with such seems so petty, if that happens, in my opinion.

I believe in global warming and I don't want to see our oceans warming and polluted, but properly disposing of the plastic from the balloons diminishes the cruise experience, particularly if it does not occur on New Year's Eve.

• Like 1

We were never into the balloon drop, it was barely a real event. Participated a few times and never have seen the rumored prizes. But some enjoyed it.

if the elimination of it has anything to do with pollution, I believe you can thank Princess and their problem for it being removed. 

Next, the Midnight Bacon Drop!!!

• Like 2