No more balloon drop?

h-sar

Sad to hear the rumour confirmed by 24639’s post above. I know it’s cheesy, I know it’s not environmentally friendly, but it’s been a family tradition to ring in the New Yr by watching the balloon drop with our kids ever since they were 8 and 10, back on our first cruise on the Golden Princess - the one that left us awestruck in a way that only a first cruise can. My parents were  with us on that first cruise almost 13 years ago, and we are fortunate enough to have them back on this one. Silly as it may sound, one of the things I was looking forward to the most this year was experiencing that event all over again with them. Here’s  hoping that Princess replaces it with something else that will capture the excitement of beginning a new year together. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

We were never into the balloon drop, it was barely a real event. Participated a few times and never have seen the rumored prizes. But some enjoyed it.

if the elimination of it has anything to do with pollution, I believe you can thank Princess and their problem for it being removed. 

Next, the Midnight Bacon Drop!!!

I will attend that!  Could we make it a BLT drop?  Mayo on the side please.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

We were never into the balloon drop, it was barely a real event. Participated a few times and never have seen the rumored prizes. But some enjoyed it.

if the elimination of it has anything to do with pollution, I believe you can thank Princess and their problem for it being removed. 

The kids would be ecstatic; grandparents, not so much 😁.

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Well, if they all stayed inside, we wouldn't be finding them inside of whales, turtles and birds, would we? But we are.

People take them, they blow away, etc....

Glad to see them go.

It is not the balloons but the plastic that the sealife has been injesting which came most likely from the garbage thrown into the sea. 

"Modern day balloons are made from materials such as rubber, latex, polychloroprene, or a nylon fabric, and can come in many different colors. Some early balloons were made of dried animal bladders, such as the pig bladder." (Wikipedia)   In the case of Princess balloons, they are cheaply made from polychloroprene most likely. The elimination of balloons will have any effect on plastics in the sea.  

Whether they stay or leave is not important to me but do hope they keep the music and dancing in the piazza that goes with the balloon drop.  

Edited by satxdiver

31 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

It is not the balloons but the plastic that the sealife has been injesting which came most likely from the garbage thrown into the sea. 

Ever see the inside of one of your beloved turtles?

hawks.jpg.a21d2514bccd50ac7e31540ba6977d59.jpg

Those are balloon fragments from balloons you claim they don't ingest.

We appreciated the two balloons on our cabin door for our 25th wedding anniversary and stuck them on the wall inside where they stayed until the last night of the cruise in mid-May after which we popped them.  There was nothing in them.

It is a fond memory but I understand the need for them to be eliminated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

Followed by the Crestor drop!

LOL!  
BTW, I'm sure the pigs will take exception to the bacon drop!

We were on the Caribbean Princess and the cruise director said there would  be no balloons on the ship because of how bad they are for the environment but he did say it  was not fleet wide but the choice of the  director.We were OK with it and didn't really miss the balloons.

2 hours ago, h-sar said:

Sad to hear the rumour confirmed by 24639’s post above. I know it’s cheesy, I know it’s not environmentally friendly, but it’s been a family tradition to ring in the New Yr by watching the balloon drop with our kids ever since they were 8 and 10, back on our first cruise on the Golden Princess - the one that left us awestruck in a way that only a first cruise can. My parents were  with us on that first cruise almost 13 years ago, and we are fortunate enough to have them back on this one. Silly as it may sound, one of the things I was looking forward to the most this year was experiencing that event all over again with them. Here’s  hoping that Princess replaces it with something else that will capture the excitement of beginning a new year together. 

A frequent contributor to this board and part-time contract Princess employeehas a blog elsewhere, and she was the first to report the demise of the balloon drop on the Royal.   

It had been rumored a few months back but is now substantiated.  

I will really miss it, as I loved seeing all the pretty colors, but I am okay with it 

due to the environment.   

I’m all for the protection of the environment.  But I will admit that I will miss the balloons. I liked the balloons at our door for our special events and loved the balloon drop. Especially standing in the atrium and watching them come down. Now if the spirit of protecting the environment, does this mean that the over abundance of flyers put in our rooms and mailboxes each day will also disappear?! Let’s hope so! 

• Like 5

I will miss the balloon drop, as will my kids. I completely understand the elimination of the balloon drop, the environmental reasons make total sense, and it sounds like the right reason to eliminate them. I just hope it's not another hypocritical attempt by Princess to get rid of something.  Like when they said no more straws, but also stopped providing the big bottles of water included with the PBP, the small ones are still included which means more waste.... or like when they said, no more dumping waste in the ocean and still did it., or all the paper waste that others have commented on-that' not needed.  Do it electronically on Medallion ships.   

Edited by jennybenny
added paper waste

On the my last Regal cruise in February the family below us must of gathered at least 10 balloons to bring back to their cabin.  I saw them tie them to their balcony railing that evening.  Im sure some of them ended up in the ocean.  Good move by Princess.

• Like 1

There was no balloon drop on our August Regal Baltic cruise.  We were not surprised as that part of the world seems to be more environmentally conscious.  We have attended balloon drops on previous cruises and while we enjoyed the playfulness of the event we completely understand and support the reasons for its discontinuance.  It is troubling to think about all of the daily trash generated by the world’s population.  If everyone tried to take small steps in reducing unnecessary waste there should be some benefit to the planet.  We are all for drastically cutting down the unwanted solicitation flyers in the staterooms and although we really don’t care for paper straws we are “sucking it up” so to speak and using them.  Guess we’ll all have stronger cheek muscles.

9 hours ago, G&T Cruisers said:

We were on the Caribbean Princess and the cruise director said there would  be no balloons on the ship because of how bad they are for the environment but he did say it  was not fleet wide but the choice of the  director.We were OK with it and didn't really miss the balloons.

Not fleet wide?

Can't imagine Princess allowing ship-by-ship participation in a company environmental policy ... maybe the CB cruise director was stroking his ego by saying this.