Doing Away with Water Bottles

Jeter02

I read a whole article how not just princess, but many of the cruise lines are doing away with one time use plastics. One I found interesting was water bottles. As an Elite passenger, I always trade out my  complementary mini bar setup for a case of bottle water. I hear they may potentially use a brand called "Just Water". It's a a recyclable box with a bottle cap made from sugar cane. Originally when I read doing away with bottles water, I thought to myself, oh no, my water supply for the week. It will be interesting throughout the year how they replace many of the one time use plastics and to see what it will be substituted for or if there will even be any for some. Such as balloons, coffee cup covers, picks for drink garnishes, trash can bag liners. Straws we know have already went bye bye.

• Like 1

NCL announced they’re eliminating all plastic water bottles by 1/1/20 to be replaced by “packaged water in plant-based cartons, the cruise line anticipates eliminating six million plastic bottles a year”.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4507/

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

As an Elite passenger, I always trade out my  complementary mini bar setup for a case of bottle water.

Just a curious aside.  It seems that Princess doesn't necessarily provide full or equal value when trading out the free mini-bar setup.  If a case of water is 24, then that is worth about $14 as 2 x 12 bottles can be purchased for this in the Personalizer.  Two coffee packages or a bottle of wine are much more valuable (although I have not heard what value is granted for the wine choice).

25 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Just a curious aside.  It seems that Princess doesn't necessarily provide full or equal value when trading out the free mini-bar setup.  If a case of water is 24, then that is worth about $14 as 2 x 12 bottles can be purchased for this in the Personalizer.  Two coffee packages or a bottle of wine are much more valuable (although I have not heard what value is granted for the wine choice).

You're 1000% correct. The value definitely does not even out. Unfortunately I'm lame. I don't drink alcohol, or drink coffee. I drink lots of water daily. I just look at it as, great I don't I have spend money on a case, nor bring a case. It's the small things I appreciate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Thanks for the reminder to pack some straws for my upcoming cruise.  My wife likes a straw for her sodas.  

I too like a straw in my drink. We were on the Regal a few weeks ago and always got one when requested. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

You're 1000% correct. The value definitely does not even out. Unfortunately I'm lame. I don't drink alcohol, or drink coffee. I drink lots of water daily. I just look at it as, great I don't I have spend money on a case, nor bring a case. It's the small things I appreciate.

I agree.  The value of the exchange is not a factor for me.  I don't drink wine, booze or coffee.  And I always buy the soda package.  I'll drink a few cans of soda in the cabin from the mini-bar.  If we have travel companions, maybe they'll want the booze/beer, or I can donate my booze and beer to the cabin steward.

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

They are gone on Celebrity.  Only aluminum and glass.  It does seem strange drinking water from a can.

I agree. something about drinking water out of an aluminum can just seems weird to me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, waltd said:

Just got back from lunch and the straws there gave us said on them 100% compostable.   I wonder how long it takes them to break down.    They felt like plastic.  

Recent TV item about pasta straws ... wonder if also available gluten-free

2 minutes ago, skynight said:

Noticed in August that the soft ice cream ordered in a cup is served in a small reusable plastic glass. The throw away thin plastic cup is no more.

for years I've always gotten soft serve served in a small plastic cup. As I don't use the cones.

1 minute ago, polmcs said:

Anyone who has ever drunk Bud Lite can attest to this! 😉

I saw heat you did there ... but in real life ... Inbev has done water 'runs' instead of canning beer and sending it to disaster areas .... hmmm, wonder if they really wanted the beer instead ...

59 minutes ago, waltd said:

Just got back from lunch and the straws there gave us said on them 100% compostable.   I wonder how long it takes them to break down.    They felt like plastic.  

On our most recent Caribbean Princess voyage my wife got a paper/cardboard straw with her drink that was falling apart before the drink was even finished. 

• Like 1

Just now, jangor said:

Perhaps they could give Elites a nice water bottle with Princess logo that could be used for refills of filtered water throughout the ship.  I am, also, in favor of anything that eliminates plastic in our lives.

I hope not.   I have so many plastic logo water bottles that I have been given to me over the years.   I don't know what to do with all of them.  Can't recycle as in our area recycle centers are closing up.   It's a problem.

1 hour ago, jangor said:

Perhaps they could give Elites a nice water bottle with Princess logo that could be used for refills of filtered water throughout the ship.  I am, also, in favor of anything that eliminates plastic in our lives.

No need to filter the water produced on the ship.