Never Been -Nassau Bahamas- what would you do?

yoshi

On 10/3/2019 at 1:46 PM, PelicanLvr said:

Don't overthink.  Nassau is not a great port.  Lots of ships, crowded, over-commercialized.  

Don't rush to get off...take a walk around....have a drink ...return to ship.  

We were there two years ago and just walked around the port area.  Atlantis didn't interest us.  Next time we go there we won't get off the ship.

Very nice suggestion about the Art Gallery...

The website was interesting...

.Putting this on our list but if we return would probably pick Atlantis tour as we have never been there,

Edited by hcat

9 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Precisely the type of response I was talking about in the "Jaded Celebrity Cruisers" thread.

Granted, you don't like Nassau. So why not let people who have enjoyed it give the advice? Is it your desire to put a negative expectation on someone clearly looking for things you may not have to give (i.e., something to look forward to)?

Valid opinions either way  help others decide.. In  truth some ports are better than others.  Why skew only to the positives.  

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Why skew only to the positives.

Well, since good experiences in Nassau is precisely what the OP was asking for, that seems to be a pretty compelling reason to not answer if someone doesn't know any.

@hcat, if you go to Atlantis I hope you have a good time. We liked it so much we bought a timeshare in those pastel 4 story buildings right next to the Atlantis marina!

On 10/2/2019 at 6:56 PM, sdnich said:

I saw a story not to long ago about the wood carvers at the straw market and intend to try to find a nice piece to bring home!  I will  probably check out pirate Republic for a beer or cocktail !  I’ve been there twice but it’s always good to support the locals !!

Check the regulations about importing wood. It may have to be completely unblemished and treated

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Check the regulations about importing wood. It may have to be completely unblemished and treated

Thank you for posting that I had no idea that would be a problem I will check . But not sure who I should check with ??

On our last visit to Nassau, we did a Walking Rum and Food Tour that I would highly recommend.  It basically told us the history of Nassau through rum.  I really enjoyed the history, the food, and learning to taste the difference between the rums.  It isn't a "get drunk" kind of tour but rather here is a bit of rum to fully understand the history of the island.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sdnich said:

Thank you for posting that I had no idea that would be a problem I will check . But not sure who I should check with ??

Try this as a starting place: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/travelers-int/!ut/p/z0/fYzBCsIwEAW_pkfZKKLnVoIoFkEv7V7CWoKuhqTdpEX_3qAXT57eDAwPEBpATxNfKXHw5LK3uDKH43Izr84qr65UqU_rWuvdYlsvYQ_4P8gPfB8GLAG74JN9Jmiov3E0H_XJOL4IyatQkYzYGEbpbCxUEpqss1Io9snNvpqjME7Ws8QfhP6B7Rvj_tUk/

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 8:34 PM, mayleeman said:

Precisely the type of response I was talking about in the "Jaded Celebrity Cruisers" thread.

Granted, you don't like Nassau. So why not let people who have enjoyed it give the advice? Is it your desire to put a negative expectation on someone clearly looking for things you may not have to give (i.e., something to look forward to)?

There are people that have enjoyed visiting Nassau and what they have to offer and on the other hand, there are  a plethora  of cruisers that like to just stay on the ship and enjoy  the ship's  amenities  while those newbies or those that like  Nassau disembark.   There is a reason that Nassau is probably  only ranked higher than Freeport  on the list  of all of the Caribbean and Bahamas area ports to visit.

Hi Dancer OT, the walking Rum tour sounds like a possibility-was it through the ship or private? If private, can you either share their website or give a partial name so I can google it?

9 hours ago, sdnich said:

I see that a link has been posted. I am in Canada and I know they look for any knot I the wood or tiny hole as these made hide insects. You will need to read the details for your country

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

There are people that have enjoyed visiting Nassau and what they have to offer and on the other hand, there are  a plethora  of cruisers that like to just stay on the ship and enjoy  the ship's  amenities  while those newbies or those that like  Nassau disembark.   There is a reason that Nassau is probably  only ranked higher than Freeport  on the list  of all of the Caribbean and Bahamas area ports to visit.

Curious about the rankings..  what is number one?

Where are Jamaica ports on the list?  And Mexico?

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If someone were to ask what seats are best in a particluar Broadway theater, people who hate that theater should not reply because it is just static.

The OP will be a newbie and is not asking IF s/he should disembark. The negative responses are just static.

The thread has provided a lot of great ideas. I think we will try out that rum tour!

OP: If you decide on Atlantis and do the water park, check out the big pool on the northwest side. It has big stone columns in the middle that are cool to sit on in the shade, and a couple of grottoes with cascading waterfalls that are like a massage when you let it flow on your neck and head. 40 feet away is an entrance to the big current to tube through rapids when you want. And a peaceful beach is across the walkway. Very relaxing!

Edited by mayleeman

15 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Well, since good experiences in Nassau is precisely what the OP was asking for, that seems to be a pretty compelling reason to not answer if someone doesn't know any.

@hcat, if you go to Atlantis I hope you have a good time. We liked it so much we bought a timeshare in those pastel 4 story buildings right next to the Atlantis marina!

We might enjoy a day pass or excursion there , or even a land trip but would never buy a time share anywhere!

We  like the Sandals Royal Bahamian  all inclusive resort in concierge or suite.   Lovely property overall , and has a sep island  with more   beaches, pool, restaurant, walking paths. But that is def not like where the ship ports in Nassau !.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:34 PM, mayleeman said:

16 hours ago, mayleeman said:

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

If someone were to ask what seats are best in a particluar Broadway theater, people who hate that theater should not reply because it is just static.

The OP will be a newbie and is not asking IF s/he should disembark. The negative responses are just static.

OK you made your point..... 3 times.

Please accept that others may disagree with you.  

Static is in the eye of the beholder.

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I see that a link has been posted. I am in Canada and I know they look for any knot I the wood or tiny hole as these made hide insects. You will need to read the details for your country

As a Nova Scotian, you are probably more attuned to the threat posed by foreign insects such as the brown spruce longhorn beetle,  responsible for destroying thousands of trees in Halifax's Point Pleasant Park before spreading out and infesting trees throughout the province. First confirmed in 1999, they are thought to have arrived in wood packaging material carried by container ships docked at the Port of Halifax, which is directly adjacent to Point Pleasant Park.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As a Nova Scotian, you are probably more attuned to the threat posed by foreign insects such as the brown spruce longhorn beetle,  responsible for destroying thousands of trees in Halifax's Point Pleasant Park before spreading out and infesting trees throughout the province. First confirmed in 1999, they are thought to have arrived in wood packaging material carried by container ships docked at the Port of Halifax, which is directly adjacent to Point Pleasant Park.

Yes this is s serious issue but the ban on wood products has been a law for many years . 17 years ago my 4 year old grandson's drum was taken at customs because there was a knot on the wood 

When we visited on Equinox this past Feb, we did a catamaran excursion that included lunch which was booked through Celebrity. The boat wasn't what we expected as it wasn't the typical wide catamaran that has the nets you can sit on, but we enjoyed it and would consider doing it again. We sailed past a bunch of celebrity homes that were pointed out to us and then stopped in two different spots to swim/snorkel. 

20190209_123306.jpg

We have seen Atlantis and it was amazing to tour . We have used public beaches and 2 issues .. the vendors would NOT get out of our face while we were sitting on the beach. 2 even had a fight in front of us .. fighting over whose customer were  but we told both we were not buying!!

Also watch the undertow.. seriously . A fit young saxophone player who was employed on our ship drowned!!! he was not in deep water

On 10/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, 2flacruisers said:

You might try getting on the #10 bus, not the #10A, and take the #10 bus to Ardastra Gardens and Zoo...about a mile from the port.  There is all kinds of birds, and what not.  They have a "marching flamingo" show, which is pretty cool, and you can feed the Lories, which is a hoot!  Less than $20/adult to get in and takes approximately 1- 1/2 hours to go thru.

That must have been the place we visited the first time we were there (in 2004).  Pretty sure it was a ship tour since it was one of our earliest cruises.  Enjoyed it a lot, esp. the flamingos.  Think it was the first time I'd seen these birds.  Now our daughter lives in Madison WI and their zoo has a flamingo exhibit!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 6:37 AM, aml3679 said:

We found Nassau to be underwhelming.  We did book a 3-hour walking food tour, not through the ship in which we greatly enjoyed and I would highly recommend.

Do you happen to remember the name of the company that provided the tour ?  Thanks....

1 hour ago, nikel said:

Do you happen to remember the name of the company that provided the tour ?  Thanks....

If you look online, you'll find dozens of free maps and annotated walks. Nassau is a very easy city to create your own walking tour.