Cruise Critic Community
Team Alpha

Ho Chi Minh from Phu My port

Hello All, we're on Millennium in January and we stop at Phu My which is about 80km/50miles from Ho Chi Minh. For anyone who has done it, would you recommend an excursion to Ho Chi Minh for the day where you might only get about 4 hours on the ground before having to return to the ship? Or is it just not worth it given the time spent travelling to and from and possible stress of missing the departure? Thanks 

Edited by Team Alpha

We did a private tour if HCMC when on our Connie cruise last winter, and we all really enjoyed the day. In fact I enjoyed if much more than I thought I would. Check your Roll Call to see if someone is organizing a tour. And check out the Ports of Call forum for Vietnam. Our group did tours by Xuan in both Vietnam ports.  He is a truly excellent guide- informative and always considerate of the comfort and safety of his group. I thought  it was very worthwhile, and even though we were on a private tour I had no concern about getting back to the ship. A good tour guide knows what he's doing and how to get you back in plenty of time

We also did a private tour to HCMC and it was great.  We had a great day, delicious lunch, and never felt rushed . It would be a shame to travel that far and not see HCMC.   We were back to the ship with plenty of time. 

Another vote to do the trip to HCMC. Like the others above, we had a private tour and had plenty of time to see the main attractions without feeling stressed about getting ack to ship on time. 

I also seem to recall Celebrity were offering a transport only excursion to the city. This would obviously give you the guarantee not to be left if returning late. 

You have to go to Ho Chi Minh. It's a fascinating place even just to walk around and watch all of the scooters! They are everywhere. Reunification Palace is very enjoyable.  I love Vietnamese food. If you are going independently then have a look at TripAdvisor for some recommendations. 

Phil 

It's a trip of a lifetime, just do it, Vietnam is changing fast and the old is disappearing.

We also did the trip with Xuan (was on the Millennium), try to do a trishaw ride with the group, so much traffic but we survived.

The only thing I would liked to have missed was eating in the restaurant where Clinton ate, much better food in the markets.

HCMC is not currently offered for the January 2020 trip. That seems odd as Celebrity advertise this port, Phu My,  as HCMC. 

I suppose they would apply the usual scare tactic of not waiting for you if you take a non Celebrity trip.

When were on the Millie and docked in Phu My we booked a 2 day private tour which I organised for our roll call with an overnight at the Rex Hotel which has a great roof terrace. It was “Tet” - New Year, the city was decorated with flowers everywhere. We booked the New Year Gala at the hotel. This tour was unforgettable and we were so glad we did it. The tour operator took care of everything, transport, hotel, restaurants, we didn’t have to worry about a thing. Once in a lifetime event. 

On 9/30/2019 at 3:01 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

You have to go to Ho Chi Minh. It's a fascinating place even just to walk around and watch all of the scooters! They are everywhere.  Phil 

Phil,

They do have quite a few scooters there, don't they?  But, at least they have less"fireworks" than when it was called Saigon.  😂

We did a private tour with a group organised from our roll call and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s well worth the journey.