Seasick

laquasiawells

There are a number of options between OTC and prescription based medications.  Results likely vary from person to person and what is "best" for one maybe subjectively different for another. You will likely receive a number of recommendations from well meaning posters, but my suggestion would be to talk with a pharmacist or your doctor for direction.  And just curious, are you asking from knowledge of having a motion sickness concern or just as a precaution - that may play into it as well. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Bonine is very effective for us.  Take one the day prior to cruise and every after/evening thereafter, and have not experienced side effects (like dry mouth, sleeplessness etc) that I’ve had with other medications.  Best things - it’s not prescription, and you can drink.  Yay!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Bonine is very effective for us.  Take one the day prior to cruise and every after/evening thereafter, and have not experienced side effects (like dry mouth, sleeplessness etc) that I’ve had with other medications.  Best things - it’s not prescription, and you can drink.  Yay!

Thank you this was very helpful

Floridiana is correct that there are lots of threads about this here on CC.  That being said, it would be helpful if laquasiawells would tell us if he has experienced any motion sickness in the past and under what circumstances.  In most cases, nothing is needed, in those cases where some assistance is needed, MOST will be helped by OTC offerings, some ginger as in Ginger Ale or ginger cookies, etc.  We can offer you more detailed help, but some background would be most helpful.

17 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Since your name says “North Carolina” a Floridian should not have to ask what country you are in.

LMAO!!

I'm extremely prone  to motion sickness and found Meclizine HCL (aka Bonine) works for me.  Take it the night before and I'm good for up to 24 hours and its makes me less sleepy  than Dramamine.  But different strokes for different folks - what may work for me may not for you'

I've tried the holistic approach - ginger chews, sea bands, etc and they don't work for me.

Talk to your Family Physician - they know you best

Oh my, I overlooked North Carolina... Is it far north of us somewhere in the snow zone? 😉

Candied ginger works for me in moderate and following seas, but if the captain announces rough seas I take either Bonine or Dramamine after I've run out of the Gavrol I bought in Toronto. I am not willing to medicate just in case. 

22 hours ago, bbwex said:

Floridiana is correct that there are lots of threads about this here on CC.  That being said, it would be helpful if laquasiawells would tell us if he has experienced any motion sickness in the past and under what circumstances.  In most cases, nothing is needed, in those cases where some assistance is needed, MOST will be helped by OTC offerings, some ginger as in Ginger Ale or ginger cookies, etc.  We can offer you more detailed help, but some background would be most helpful.

Hi, Floridiana 

It's Ms. Laquasia Wells. Thank you for your response, I have experienced motion sickness, nausea, vomitting head spinning the whole 9 yards. In response to your question. 

5 hours ago, laquasiawells said:

Hi, Floridiana 

It's Ms. Laquasia Wells. Thank you for your response, I have experienced motion sickness, nausea, vomitting head spinning the whole 9 yards. In response to your question. 

You experienced this where?  On a ship, in a car, on a bus?  We know the symptoms but we need some idea of where and when you have gotten motion sick.  That will help us a lot in giving you a more helpful answer.  What does it take to make you motion sick?

14 hours ago, bbwex said:

You experienced this where?  On a ship, in a car, on a bus?  We know the symptoms but we need some idea of where and when you have gotten motion sick.  That will help us a lot in giving you a more helpful answer.  What does it take to make you motion sick?

For me, as I am extremely prone to motion sickness (reading in a car, roller coasters and other amusement park rides, etc) I can say that it really doesn't matter where I experienced it.  Taking Dramamine or Bonine will counter the effects - at least for me 

On 10/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, Herfnerd said:

LMAO!!

I'm extremely prone  to motion sickness and found Meclizine HCL (aka Bonine) works for me.  Take it the night before and I'm good for up to 24 hours and its makes me less sleepy  than Dramamine.  But different strokes for different folks - what may work for me may not for you'

I've tried the holistic approach - ginger chews, sea bands, etc and they don't work for me.

Talk to your Family Physician - they know you best

Ginger capsules work for me. Meclizine puts me to sleep.Perhaps the person who was not aware that NC is in the US believed that there was more than one NC in the world.

I second the recommendation for Bonine which is a brand name for meclizine. 

It’s over the counter at drug stores and supermarkets. 

It has never made me sleepy, but you could try it at home and see if you have any side effects. 

I am extremely motion sickness prone. Can’t ride in a back seat, on a theme park ride or swing on a playground swing. 

We I was a kid a taxi driver refused to take us because he recognized me as the girl who threw up in the back of his cab. 

I have heard sea bands and ginger both work, but if I try them and they don’t I’ll be in trouble. 

I use Bonine even driving in the mountains or any time I feel queasy for any reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

I get seasick and my doctor recommended the patch. They make me sleepy, dry mouthed, blurry eyed and it's hard to enjoy anything. Last cruise I tried meclazine at night before bed and that was better. I just ordered a relief band, hoping I won't have to take meds, and ginger drops, but I will be taking some meclazine for back up. I won't use the band until I feel unwell. If that doesn't work I will go back to the nightly meclazine.

Edited by back to the islands