Disinfecting

Frankmac

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Once when we disembarked our cabin steward saw us in the corridor and came to us and while wearing his gloves shook our hands as he was obviously pleased with his tip we had given him the previous night.

We went to the nearest restroom to wash our hands but unfortunately several hours later Pauline was struck down with the Noro Virus which lasted a few days.

Graham.

While the gloved to ungloved hand contact was a shocking breach of protocol, if your wife washed her hands immediately afterwards, I don't see how there could be a linkage unless she touched her face/mouth before hand washing.

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While the gloved to ungloved hand contact was a shocking breach of protocol, if your wife washed her hands immediately afterwards, I don't see how there could be a linkage unless she touched her face/mouth before hand washing.

Great advice as always.

In hindsight we should have walked back to the cabin but didn't want to embarrass our great cabin steward plus we were carrying our cases off the ship ourselves.

We used a hand wipe when we were waiting for the lifts then washed our hands in the restroom before getting off the ship.

On another occasion we asked our cabin steward to just leave us towels as our room was tidy and he carried towels in and hung them up while wearing his latex gloves after first taking the dirty towels away.

Edited by grapau27

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'd like to know the reasons that the chance of contracting noro on a ship are bigger than on land.  And, how is the chance that someone else will contract noro on a ship greater than in a land restaurant?  What is different between a cruise ship and a restaurant in a mall, where you walk around in public areas outside the restaurant just like you do on a ship?

Confined spaces? People acting different while on vacation? A different demographic? But most certainly, the predominant risk to get Noro, is that other people are infected. Like this not very precise number of 1% CDC reports. https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/outbreaks.html 

The average US population is certainly not spending 1% of their time on a ship, (that would be 1300 large ships if only Americans would sail), so there are more people infected on ships, so the chance of being infected on a ship is much higher than in a mall.

6 hours ago, ptod said:

What if one is allergic to something in the hand sanitizer?  That doesn't make the person arrogant, just allergic.

Exactly right.  Also as our family doctor said sanitizer lulls people into a false sense of security as it doesn't protect you like actually washing your hands 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Confined spaces? People acting different while on vacation? A different demographic? But most certainly, the predominant risk to get Noro, is that other people are infected. Like this not very precise number of 1% CDC reports. https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/outbreaks.html 

The average US population is certainly not spending 1% of their time on a ship, (that would be 1300 large ships if only Americans would sail), so there are more people infected on ships, so the chance of being infected on a ship is much higher than in a mall.

So, these are your suppositions as to why the chances are greater, not any established data.  And that is 1% of reported and confirmed cases of noro in the US.  How many people do you think never mention that they spent a couple of days feeling sick to their doctors?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The purell type gels are alcohol. It not only does not kill the gem that causes the stomach bug it also irritates my skin. I can't use any of those type hand disinfectants with out my skin drying and cracking. But mostly after I had a family friend who is a doctor show me a paper from the CDC that stated it doesn't kill the stomach bug ( or a surprisingly lot of other germs) I stopped even trying to use it. I wash my hands before leaving the cabin and again at the closest ladies room by the dinningroom enterance. 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Once when we disembarked our cabin steward saw us in the corridor and came to us and while wearing his gloves shook our hands as he was obviously pleased with his tip we had given him the previous night.

We went to the nearest restroom to wash our hands but unfortunately several hours later Pauline was struck down with the Noro Virus which lasted a few days.

Graham.

Oh dear.  I had Noro once (not on a cruise) and it was horrid. At least it didn't ruin your cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Even though you did the right thing and washed your hands in the restroom many people touch the door handles when they haven't washed their hands and when you touch the door handle their germs etc are transferred to your hands.

Like you and others have mentioned I also use a paper towel to open a manual restroom door or use my elbow to hit the door opener button if there is one so that doesn't come into play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Great advice as always.

In hindsight we should have walked back to the cabin but didn't want to embarrass our great cabin steward plus we were carrying our cases off the ship ourselves.

We used a hand wipe when we were waiting for the lifts then washed our hands in the restroom before getting off the ship.

Did you clean or sanitize the handles of the luggage you were carrying off after shaking the steward's hand ?

Same situation as directly handling restroom door handles applies if you didn't. 

Edited by robtulipe

Living in a land of lousy hygiene, and since most food related illness is from contaminates we have contacted with our own hands, my wife and I wash our hands whenever possible and always carry our own sanitizer. My question is, beyond the food servers and kitchen staff, why be concerned with others' hand washing. I don't plan to have other guests handle my food?

7 hours ago, Frankmac said:

Every gents toilet on Oasis had a sign suggesting you use a tissue to open the door on the way out.

7 hours ago, voyager70 said:

I see this on pretty much every ship I've been on.  I always use a tissue to open the door in any public toilet.

I really appreciate the ships that have a button to push that opens the door.  I use my elbow, of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robtulipe said:

Did you clean or sanitize the handles of the luggage you were carrying off after shaking the steward's hand ?

Same situation as directly handling restroom door handles applies if you didn't. 

Yes we did thanks.

I think Pauline must have touched her face because I didn't get the Noro Virus.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, if you are asked to wash your hands or use a sanitizer at the entrance to a restaurant, then why not comply?  

Assuming this is in response to my post, what would make you think that I wouldn't take advantage of free sanitizer? No one will need ask; I usually look for it! 

My point is that I am not too concerned with someone else's dirty little fingers, unless they work in the kitchen or serve the food. 

Do you ever eat from the buffets? Do you sanitize when you return to the table to eat?

Odds are that you are going to run a bigger risk from handling common serving utensils than from the food itself.

Pass the salt, please ...

Bacteria and viruses are spread all over everything, handrails, door knobs, pens, ..., fomites are endless - they're everywhere. Personally, our hand washing isn't confined to dining. 

Edited by Curt1591

18 hours ago, Frankmac said:

Should it be a condition of entry to dining areas that you disinfect your hands? I believe it should be. On oasis last week I lost count of the number of arrogant passengers who ignored, not only the dispensers, but also the offer from a bottle by a member of staff.

What about the passengers who physically cannot disinfect their own hands (stroke sufferers). Do they get a free pass or do you expect a member of staff to disinfect their hands for them,  possibly embarrassing the passenger?     

3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

What about the passengers who physically cannot disinfect their own hands (stroke sufferers). Do they get a free pass or do you expect a member of staff to disinfect their hands for them,  possibly embarrassing the passenger?     

Yeah there will always be exceptions. Doesn't mean the others shouldn't do it though.

10 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Living in a land of lousy hygiene, and since most food related illness is from contaminates we have contacted with our own hands, my wife and I wash our hands whenever possible and always carry our own sanitizer. My question is, beyond the food servers and kitchen staff, why be concerned with others' hand washing. I don't plan to have other guests handle my food?

if you're in a buffet, they will be handling the tongs you need to transfer food to your plate.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, Frankmac said:

Should it be a condition of entry to dining areas that you disinfect your hands? I believe it should be. On oasis last week I lost count of the number of arrogant passengers who ignored, not only the dispensers, but also the offer from a bottle by a member of staff.

No.. the sanitizer is garbage. Hand washing station should be at the entrance to all eating venues where people help themselves, and that should be enforced, or the crew should serve.

Now if I could get the idiot guests to stop putting the serving utensil in the food when they are done with it... that would be great. 

14 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:
15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'd like to know the reasons that the chance of contracting noro on a ship are bigger than on land.  And, how is the chance that someone else will contract noro on a ship greater than in a land restaurant?  What is different between a cruise ship and a restaurant in a mall, where you walk around in public areas outside the restaurant just like you do on a ship?

Not only all of this, but you are more likely to get the Noro at Disney (i Believe 8x more likely.) The difference? Cruises are required to report any noro illnesses, whereas Disney World does not. In fact there is no way for them to even notice if someone has it or got it post trip.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Too many people rely on products like hand sanitizer to protect them from illness. There is no such thing as a sterile public environment.  If you’re that paranoid don’t eat in the buffet. 

Thank you for your scientific input.

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

She must have been infected prior to shaking hands with your steward.  

The average incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis is 12 to 48 hours, with a median period of approximately 33 hours. Illness is characterized by nausea, acute-onset vomiting, and watery, non-bloody diarrhea with abdominal cramps. In addition, myalgia, malaise, and headache are commonly reported.