Cruise Critic Community
cruisergrandma

Passau or Salzburg

We are doing a Christmas Market Cruise the first week of December.  One of our ports is Passau.  The cruise line offers an optional all day excursion that day to Salzburg.  We have never been to either port.  For those of you who have been to both - which did you prefer and why?  Thanks for your assistance.

Both are quite lovely but we prefer Salzburg as we are huge Mozart fans. We did not take the optional excursion offered by the ship - we opted to take the early morning train thus affording us more time in Salzburg than that offered via the ship. 

Edited by dogs4fun

If you are a Sound of Music fanatic - then Salzburg.

Best read up on both townns and then you make the decision.

Salzburg Christmas Market can get very crowded, it has been known that the police have closed off the market because of too many visitors. Also you are looking at upto (could be more, depending on the weather conditions) two hour drive each way.

I am totally unbiased.🍻

Hard choice. Have been to both while driving through Europe. Depends on what you like. To me, Passau is less commercialized, but a smaller scope.

Salzburg excursion is also much more expensive and time consuming.

I am going on a cruise this December and had to make this same choice. I actually wanted Passau but agreed to go to Salzburg with the rest of my group. 

Neither one is a bad choice. As said previously, do some research and choose the best for you!

Salzburg was a significant bus ride on our cruise - like two hours each way.  Just a factor to consider.

We docked in Linz and took the high speed train to Salzburg - one hour each way. Very inexpensive and had much more time to spend in Salzburg than those that booked the optional ship excursion (they departed after breakfast - we departed before breakfast). Plus, we actually toured all the sites in Salzburg that my family wished to visit whereas the optional ship tour is mostly a walking tour of the old town with some free time plus lunch.

So - if one is a bit adventurous, there are other options. 

Edited by dogs4fun

Yes, when we cruised the Danube our cruise ended at Passau. So we arranged our own train from Passau to Salzburg. At disembarkation, we went directly to the train station then on to Salzburg, and spent a night there. Then we took the train to Munich for a night before flying home.

Salzburg merits more than a day trip IMO. If a day trip were my only option, I'd stay in Passau and save Salzburg for another time. We found that there was a lot to do over 2 partial days there, and we wanted more time.