Constellation Best of Italy

Kristina685

Hello! My parents are in the process of booking the 10 night Best of Italy, Malta, & Montenegro in June of 2020 on the Constellation. They will be booking a Veranda stateroom but my mother had a question: what side of the ship should they book? She wants to see the ports as they're pulling into them. I told her I knew just who to ask! Can anyone answer her question? Thanks so much!! 😀

Lovely itinerary! The only ones which actually matter (and that not much to be fair..)which side are going to be Kotor and Venice. (And the latter depends if you can still sail the grand canal at that point.)  For most ports either side has lovely views - and you'll see both sides, one on the way in (which may be in the very early hours of the morning) and one on the way out.  You can't gaurentee which side of the ship is facing land when docked - other than possibly Valetta which tends to dock facing outward toward the harbour mouth putting the  port side to land.  The sail in / out from Kotor is incredible which ever side you are on (and you will see each side as you sail down the channel one way and come back the other.) But to get the full experience I would recommend going up on deck to watch that either from the front (We sailed out of Kotor on the helipad one year - stunning!!) or from the oceanview deck.  You really won;t see the full panorama from a cabin unless its one of the aft ones.  Venice - you really want to be on the port side (IMO) assuming you can still sail down the Grand canal.  But you are sailing in to dock at 2pm so everyone will be out on deck I would think.

Some of my favorite ports.  You'll have a wonderful time!

From my experience, it is random. On some port you dock on port side, and on some other ports on the starboard. Also on the first / last port (which has much more traffic, e.g. for all beverages, food, and supplies).

Veranda is a good start. (on deck 2 and 3 you may have obstructed view in some port). I would just not choose the first serving on MDR, if you like to see departures (e.g. until pilot leave).

Personally, I go often to deck 4 to see operations, so I can switch sides (e.g. after departure), and go to the best places (forward, aft). There are also few chairs. You can also wave to the very late arrivals 😈.

Been on Connie several times including a similar itinerary.

Suggest booking a "sweet 16"  on Deck 6.  (search that on these boards- they have a double sized veranda).

Venice:  Arriving in Venice the view is on the RIGHT;  Sail out of Venice it is on the LEFT.

PS: No cruise ship ever sailed down the Grand Canal in Venice...it's way to small for a cruise ship!   You need to take a water taxi or vaporetto for that.  Ships always have used the Giudecca Canal to get to and from the sea.  Do try to ride on the Grand Canal - it's picture postcard Venice!

Edited by PelicanLvr

we are on the upcoming Oct 10 out of venice, we will be in an Aft cabin 7208, we love the aft cabins as the balconies are huge and 180 degree views, we an aft cabin on connie in January on deck 9 and didn't like the noise from deck 10 above, so if they go aft choose 6,7 or 8

On 9/30/2019 at 1:37 PM, Kristina685 said:

Hello! My parents are in the process of booking the 10 night Best of Italy, Malta, & Montenegro in June of 2020 on the Constellation. They will be booking a Veranda stateroom but my mother had a question: what side of the ship should they book? She wants to see the ports as they're pulling into them. I told her I knew just who to ask! Can anyone answer her question? Thanks so much!! 😀

We've tried in the past to book on the "correct side" depending on ports, but tend to find arrival views (especially in Europe) are better from the deck.   As others have said, the panoramic views from up-top are hard to beat.  Being on deck on arrival also gives you an idea which is better for sail away - deck or your balcony.   (Always like balcony better for sail away with a glass of wine......)