Barclays ATM at Heathrow arrivals?

cpl100

Yes, all ATMs at LHR are Travelex operated. Many of them are multi-currency. There used to be some bank-operated ones, including Barclays, but they are long gone. 

It has been reported for a couple of years that they no longer use (or offer) Dynamic Currency Conversion and that the rates are comparable (for sterling) to bank -operated ATMs off airport. As I only have sterling bank accounts, I cannot confirm that. 

However, it may be that you are looking for Barclays to avoid fees?

On our last trip through LHR, I attempted to use one of the cash machines. When I saw the exchange, I decided to cancel the transaction and wait until I got into London where I could use my US ATM card near Paddington Station. My local bank in the US does not charge any foreign fees. Sure enough, waiting saved me about $22 when I withdrew 300GBP. I have always found the best exchange at places like Tesco. The Barclay's US card/account is useless in England if you are attempting to exchange cash. Strange, as I use my Barclay World Travel card without needing to sign.

I went into a Barclay's in Bournemouth, hoping to pick up Euro, and was told my some info person with an ipad to withdraw sterling and then go to  a teller do the currency exchange. The Teller said since I wasn't a depositor, they would not do the transaction.  So, undaunted, I left the bank, handed the 500 GBP to a friend who was outside waiting for me and had an account at Barclay's UK She walked into the bank and took care of it for me. 

Darcy

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

That's an awful lot of cash! I wouldn't use that amount of cash in a year, and I live in the UK!

In the US, I rarely use cash, preferring to earn FF miles or points toward specific rewards. I think I hit an ATM about twice a year in the US. Since we needed the cash [only] for a few private tours, I had to use my cash machine [ATM]card to obtain the money. I gave my remaining 20 odd GBP to my friend who lives in Bournemouth before she got on the train near Lyndhurst to get back home. When she visits me in the states, I cover her express coach from the airport to a nearby pick up site. I managed to spend most of the Euro at LHR duty free on boxes of Butler's candies. Any small coins are donated to UN Children's Fund or similar on the return flight. Personally I hate to carry cash - too risky.

Darcy

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If they put ATMs for every bank so customers of that bank could avoid charges...imagine how many bank brands there are!!

It isn't so much the bank name as it is the network system. My local US bank is in the same network as RBS so I've never had an issue taking cash from one of their bank machines. My local bank told me to use specific networks, even gave me a list of those close to where we were staying in London and Southampton. My other bank card works fine in the US, but even with prior notice, won't work in Ireland, Germany or France. 

Darcy

My US bank is Bank of America.  Their affiliated bank in UK is Barclays.  I want to use their ATMs to avoid fees.  My son thought there was an ATM at the airport but I couldn't see it on the map which was the reason for my initial post.  So, I guess I will have to look for a Barclays in the Kensington area where we are staying at the Marriott.

Thanks for all the posts!  And if anyone knows of a Barclays ATM in that area, please do post here.

Have a great day!

https://www.barclays.co.uk/branch-finder/

I have a BAC card, always travel with two different bank cards just in case one gets rejected. It's my small home town bank that has an ATM card designed for those who travel abroad - no fees if using SUM network, otherwise they waive up to 6 foreign transactions per month. I used a Barclay's cash machine in Southampton and the big bank card was rejected, so inserted little bank and it worked. 

I'm guessing that you are flying from BOS to LHR, if so stay away from the currency converter Kiosk at Logan - Terminal E - awful rates. Even after you clear passport control and pick up your luggage to walk into the terminal, there are those damn currency converter systems - haven't seen a bank one at LHR  in a few years. Since we always head into London via LHR Express, I wait until I get to Padding station for cash....or stop along the way to the hotel a few blocks from the station.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, WatchHill said:

https://www.barclays.co.uk/branch-finder/

I have a BAC card, always travel with two different bank cards just in case one gets rejected. It's my small home town bank that has an ATM card designed for those who travel abroad - no fees if using SUM network, otherwise they waive up to 6 foreign transactions per month. I used a Barclay's cash machine in Southampton and the big bank card was rejected, so inserted little bank and it worked. 

I'm guessing that you are flying from BOS to LHR, if so stay away from the currency converter Kiosk at Logan - Terminal E - awful rates. Even after you clear passport control and pick up your luggage to walk into the terminal, there are those damn currency converter systems - haven't seen a bank one at LHR  in a few years. Since we always head into London via LHR Express, I wait until I get to Padding station for cash....or stop along the way to the hotel a few blocks from the station.

Darcy

By BAC do you mean Bank of America?  Thanks for posting your experience.  

On 10/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, WatchHill said:

On our last trip through LHR, I attempted to use one of the cash machines. When I saw the exchange, I decided to cancel the transaction and wait until I got into London where I could use my US ATM card near Paddington Station. My local bank in the US does not charge any foreign fees. Sure enough, waiting saved me about $22 when I withdrew 300GBP. I have always found the best exchange at places like Tesco. The Barclay's US card/account is useless in England if you are attempting to exchange cash. Strange, as I use my Barclay World Travel card without needing to sign.

I went into a Barclay's in Bournemouth, hoping to pick up Euro, and was told my some info person with an ipad to withdraw sterling and then go to  a teller do the currency exchange. The Teller said since I wasn't a depositor, they would not do the transaction.  So, undaunted, I left the bank, handed the 500 GBP to a friend who was outside waiting for me and had an account at Barclay's UK She walked into the bank and took care of it for me. 

Darcy

Using banks to exchange currency in the UK is not the best place. Rates are better elsewhere.. 

4 hours ago, newport dave said:

Using banks to exchange currency in the UK is not the best place. Rates are better elsewhere.. 

Hi Dave, long time see since the Princess Norway cruise!  Yes, unlike the states where banks offer the good rates, I've found Waitrose and Tesco have easy access cash machines with excellent conversion rates. 

We'll be flying across the pond in late March - BIG wedding event in Bournemouth in April. A tad too early in the season to tack on a cruise, though a river cruise might fit into our schedule.

Darcy