Compare MSC to Princess

TwoCruisers

Cheers, CB!  We've done a repo from Santos on Preziosa before - never again!  The ship was FULL of Brazilians.  I'd like to think that that wouldn't be the case for Princess - especially with the sailing ending in Florida.

If Princess and MSC were priced similar, I would take Princess each and every time. Princess is a much more polished cruise line and you are less likely to deal with 'pesky' issues. MSC is a value driven line.  Unless you are saving significant cash, I see no reason to select MSC for Caribbean travel. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I see no reason to select MSC for Caribbean travel. 

Yes, MSC has Yacht Club.  Princess doesn't. 

As it stands, Princess's suites just don't have that many extras compared to a standard cabin.  If I'm sailing in a non-suite cabin, I'd take Princess over MSC's Bella & Fantastica cabins.

20 minutes ago, Selion said:

Yes, MSC has Yacht Club.  Princess doesn't. 

As it stands, Princess's suites just don't have that many extras compared to a standard cabin.  If I'm sailing in a non-suite cabin, I'd take Princess over MSC's Bella & Fantastica cabins.

Thats fair- I agree. However I did not find the YC had “over the top” service. It was very nice, but I wouldn’t call it polished. We never did see a server pool side unless we laid near the bar. I saw our Butler twice and even in YC I was told “sorry that is not possible” with even very minor requests. But the lack of crowding at the pool and top sail makes it an excellent value. Point taken.

On 10/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, Cruiser Bruiser said:

Here's a link to the sailing on the US Princess website. It's a really good value, perhaps because there are so many sea days. An overnight in Rio is nice, but I would have preferred another stop or two in Brazil. Buzios, Ilha Grande? MSC has repositioning cruises that return to Europe that have a lot more stops in Brazil.

Agree ref sea days, but I love them! The biggest turn on for me was the possibility of US passengers, something I'm working on still. Did a similar sailing with MSC and loved everything but it was soured by the 99% Brazilian occupancy. Nothing racist but they were an issue en massage worse the sailing was 100% geared to them.

Poor research on my part and that was the greatest pain! 

On 10/4/2019 at 5:27 PM, Beamafar said:

Cheers, CB!  We've done a repo from Santos on Preziosa before - never again!  The ship was FULL of Brazilians.  I'd like to think that that wouldn't be the case for Princess - especially with the sailing ending in Florida.

This is my plan Bea! Agree 100% ref the MSC version ....only the rest of the trip being perfect saved the sailing!

Not long now for you (and me!).... What date do you fly?

We leave, through your very own Dublin, the 21st 

18 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

This is my plan Bea! Agree 100% ref the MSC version ....only the rest of the trip being perfect saved the sailing!

Not long now for you (and me!).... What date do you fly?

We leave, through your very own Dublin, the 21st 

We're flying out to NY on the 16th (9 days' time  😜), staying 2 nights - embarking on the 18th - and returning directly after we reach Miami on Nov 10th.

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We're flying out to NY on the 16th (9 days' time  😜), staying 2 nights - embarking on the 18th - and returning directly after we reach Miami on Nov 10th.

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I knew it had to be ext week due to the sailing date! Not long now then 😜

Love long sailings....but my record short of 23 days, for now!

I'll not see you but remember I will be watching you in both Boston and NYC 👏

That sounds creepy, but you know what I mean lol

• Haha 1

I'll make a point of waving in those ports, Frank, and imagining you're waving back.  😂

It won't be our longest;  we've done 28 nights on Splendida (Dubai to Japan) and 28 nights on Sinfonia (Venice to Durban, plus b2b Durban-Durban).  We love the long sailings, too.  The crew get so familiar with you that you're friends by the end of the cruise.

14 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I'll make a point of waving in those ports, Frank, and imagining you're waving back.  😂

It won't be our longest;  we've done 28 nights on Splendida (Dubai to Japan) and 28 nights on Sinfonia (Venice to Durban, plus b2b Durban-Durban).  We love the long sailings, too.  The crew get so familiar with you that you're friends by the end of the cruise.

Very true, that is a plus along with that sense of 'belonging'.

21 nights for us.

MSC staff seem to gravitate to me anyway.... hence I've got the all important bar staff and walk around servers playing ball from day two!

Someone last weekend asked me what my best/favourite bar in Manchester was, I said any MSC ship 😂

No need to imagine I'll be waving and you'll know it's me!

• Like 1

We're the same when it comes to the waiters and servers.  When we were finishing lunch on disembarkation day on Meraviglia in 2017, all the waiters in the (YC) restaurant, to a man, came over to say goodbye to us (and that was on a 7 night cruise) and some even said that they'd miss us lol.  We had such fun with them over the course of the cruise.  When they weren't busy, they used to wander over to have a chat with us - especially at lunchtime when the restaurant was quiet.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Agree ref sea days, but I love them! The biggest turn on for me was the possibility of US passengers, something I'm working on still. Did a similar sailing with MSC and loved everything but it was soured by the 99% Brazilian occupancy. Nothing racist but they were an issue en massage worse the sailing was 100% geared to them.

Poor research on my part and that was the greatest pain! 

I could see where that might be an issue. Could you describe how the on board experience was different? Was there different entertainment or activities? Were things just more free flowing?

8 hours ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

I could see where that might be an issue. Could you describe how the on board experience was different? Was there different entertainment or activities? Were things just more free flowing?

Yes... I think if you make bold statements you should be willing and able to back them up, even though they are merely your own thoughts, which may be supported by others or not!

Everything and I mean everything was geared to the Brazilian market, a fellow passenger argued this was to be expected if you board a ship in Brazil and one with 99% Brazilian occupancy. My counter argument was that the ship was LEAVING Brazil and a cruise operated by a renowned cosmopolitan line should be more diverse within structuring the cruise.

One of the biggest negatives and for me the worst was the round the ship entertainment, something I love with a drink as you pass through the vessel methodically of an evening.

I have nothing against Salsa, like Country on Carnival or say Hip-Hop in smaller measures, my musical taste is varied, balanced and apreciative, but Salsa all day and night and every single day!

The same four acts rotating around venues playing the same set over and over. 

The entertainment team offering Latino dances with passengers all night (well no option given the soundtrack)!

Salsa classes everyday, and always where I was trying to find respite lol 

To be fair the food was more varied in the MDR and the speciality restaurants of course, but the buffet was Latin city.

The crew were heavily Brazilian too, now that was mixed ...Some were as rude as the majority of the passengers, but we did meet and thus gravitate towards a few and three of these were the best of the best.

Staff advised us that it was great to have other nationalities back aboard again, indicating that it had been a tough few months with loud rude partying locals aboard on 3/4 booze cruises! 

I suggested that I had noticed they didn't really drink or least it seamed that way ...The tale was beer was the order of the day and the ship had only just reverted back to stocking a full bar, hence any shortcomings (to be fair I found the drinks choices fully satisfactory and I'm a drinker!).

Further coversations uncovered the short trips previously whilst in Brazil were made up of groups of lads, girls or mixed groups that party'd till dawn, were found uncincious in the passageways surrounded by empty beer bottles and we're generally very OTT party people.

Thank God I didn't book a local cruise prior to the repo sailing, preferring to spend time on land and enjoy Brasil ....which we did!

As I have hinted already, the passengers were rude in the main but cultures, age (the older generation were in control here trust me!) and of course language do play a part in this and you have to be flexible and open minded on sailings with lines like MSC.

That said this was grim and certainly the worst experience I have had linked to the other/fellow passengers.

In Europe a lot of emphasis is placed on other nationalities pushing and shoving over the 'join a queue to form a queue British!), but this mob took things to a new level lol

Line jumping

Line holding

Seat hogging

Table management ....the list goes on.

But Seaview was/is a great ship and although she's returning to Brazil soon I'd sail her again for sure, possibly in the Emirates when she seasons there.

Edited by citizenfrank
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All very well-put, Frank.  I don't think our crossing on Preziosa was quite as stark as that - but the Brazilians were certainly in the majority.  My biggest memory of the trip was constantly finding used condoms on our (aft) balcony - gross!

16 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

All very well-put, Frank.  I don't think our crossing on Preziosa was quite as stark as that - but the Brazilians were certainly in the majority.  My biggest memory of the trip was constantly finding used condoms on our (aft) balcony - gross!

Well I've just searched MSC and all leading brokers ....I cannot find a sex cruise listed anywhere!!

• Haha 1

One of the biggest negatives and for me the worst was the round the ship entertainment, something I love with a drink as you pass through the vessel methodically of an evening.

I have nothing against Salsa, like Country on Carnival or say Hip-Hop in smaller measures, my musical taste is varied, balanced and apreciative, but Salsa all day and night and every single day!

The entertainment team offering Latino dances with passengers all night (well no option given the soundtrack)!

To be fair the food was more varied in the MDR and the speciality restaurants of course, but the buffet was Latin city.

Frank ... The above reminds me of the second part of our B2B on Divina which followed our Xmas cruise 2018, it was exactly as you describe above but without the mass change to the Buffet, It was so good to escape to the Piano bar where there was usually a male/ female duo playing or just the guy on his own with his guitar. One night there were about 8 people from a US choir who were at the bar and joined in with the chorus of Mustang Sally, so good that they and the female singer got a huge round of applause at the end.

1 hour ago, ronbe65 said:

Princess Royal class is a disaster. So even with all my criticism (re: Meraviglia), I would prefer Meraviglia any time vs any Royal class ship.

could you please elaborate what's so disastrous about Royal class?

We love Regal Princess' layout and a ton of quiet uncrowded spots where you can sit and read or enjoy the water views.

3 hours ago, sidari said:

Frank ... The above reminds me of the second part of our B2B on Divina which followed our Xmas cruise 2018, it was exactly as you describe above but without the mass change to the Buffet, It was so good to escape to the Piano bar where there was usually a male/ female duo playing or just the guy on his own with his guitar. One night there were about 8 people from a US choir who were at the bar and joined in with the chorus of Mustang Sally, so good that they and the female singer got a huge round of applause at the end.

Love a good piano bar...especially when I'm relaxed and mellow (Mrs Frank may well use a different word 😂)!

Spot of late night jazz ...Nice! 

There was a guy and his guitar on Fantasia in that Atlantico lounge with the alchemy cocktails.

His voice was actually only average at best, but his guitar work was awesome and he played sets that had everything you could imagine. A great late night gig with quality drinks, great service in a lovely setting....things like that you always remember.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Yes... I think if you make bold statements you should be willing and able to back them up, even though they are merely your own thoughts, which may be supported by others or not!

Everything and I mean everything was geared to the Brazilian market, a fellow passenger argued this was to be expected if you board a ship in Brazil and one with 99% Brazilian occupancy. My counter argument was that the ship was LEAVING Brazil and a cruise operated by a renowned cosmopolitan line should be more diverse within structuring the cruise.

The crew were heavily Brazilian too, now that was mixed ...Some were as rude as the majority of the passengers, but we did meet and thus gravitate towards a few and three of these were the best of the best.

Staff advised us that it was great to have other nationalities back aboard again, indicating that it had been a tough few months with loud rude partying locals aboard on 3/4 booze cruises! 

I suggested that I had noticed they didn't really drink or least it seamed that way ...The tale was beer was the order of the day and the ship had only just reverted back to stocking a full bar, hence any shortcomings (to be fair I found the drinks choices fully satisfactory and I'm a drinker!).

Further coversations uncovered the short trips previously whilst in Brazil were made up of groups of lads, girls or mixed groups that party'd till dawn, were found uncincious in the passageways surrounded by empty beer bottles and we're generally very OTT party people.

Thank God I didn't book a local cruise prior to the repo sailing, preferring to spend time on land and enjoy Brasil ....which we did!

As I have hinted already, the passengers were rude in the main but cultures, age (the older generation were in control here trust me!) and of course language do play a part in this and you have to be flexible and open minded on sailings with lines like MSC.

That said this was grim and certainly the worst experience I have had linked to the other/fellow passengers.

In Europe a lot of emphasis is placed on other nationalities pushing and shoving over the 'join a queue to form a queue British!), but this mob took things to a new level lol

Line jumping

Line holding

Seat hogging

Table management ....the list goes on.

But Seaview was/is a great ship and although she's returning to Brazil soon I'd sail her again for sure, possibly in the Emirates when she seasons there.

Thanks for the vivid picture, Frank. I have only done one Brazilian cruise and that was on Holland America Line, which has a more subdued vibe--more like a smaller-ship P&O experience. There was the passenger mix you are looking for: Brazilians, Argentines, other South Americans, Europeans, and quite a few North Americans. I guess that experience was coloring my perception of what an MSC cruise would be like.

The MSC South American experience seems to be a lot more wild. And I will confirm that the Brazilian bartenders on Magnifica this past summer were not as friendly and helpful as other bartenders. I don't know that I would do too well with a lot of pushy people; my whole idea of a cruise is that it's as close to Downton Abbey as you can get on a vacation. To be fair, what you describe is a much more extreme example of the Carnival cruises to Mexico out of Los Angeles, which are generally perceived to be "booze cruises" that feature perpetually drunk passengers and late night parties.

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

That puts a fine point on it.

18 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

They peeled all iconic Princess features off like potato skin. The rest is a generic floating hotel with no soul, no character.

your statement is so plan and generic, I have a hard time understanding what iconic features were stripped off.

But I just called Princess Customer Service and they helped me in 5 minutes flat and saved me $300 post final payment day. I don't think I can expect such speedy and great CS from MSC, no matter how glitzy the stairwell on Mera is....

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1