NCL Coffee/maker

massfamilyof4

I just love my morning cup of joe! I saw that we have a coffee maker in our balcony room. How is the coffee provided? Could I bring some of my own ground and prepare it in the room? Silly question but I am so used to my Dunkin Donuts coffee! do they provide filters?

Thanks for any info!

48 minutes ago, massfamilyof4 said:

I just love my morning cup of joe! I saw that we have a coffee maker in our balcony room. How is the coffee provided? Could I bring some of my own ground and prepare it in the room? Silly question but I am so used to my Dunkin Donuts coffee! do they provide filters?

Thanks for any info!

If you're used to DD's then the coffee in your cabin will be undrinkable.

6 hours ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Thanks for any info!

My wife is always up before I am, and goes up to the buffet to get coffee.  Using the coffee that is provided in the cabin is our last resort.

Since  room service is free for continental breakfast, this is what we do for coffee. Makers in room are not great. Unless, you are in Suite and get Nespresso .

we order coffee X2 , fresh fruit and croissants. Have  hot coffee each morning to enjoy while relaxing in bathrobes.

Edited by phissy

Thanks for the great responses! I was hoping for a mini coffee maker that uses ground coffee but looks like that is a no go I might just try a french press or aeropress. Cruise ship coffee is so notoriously awful! 

Edited by massfamilyof4

18 hours ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Thanks for any info!

The pots are pretty small, they hold about 3 cups of coffee and the coffee is those little packs like in  a hotel. They do hit the spot for your first cup in the morning, but I don't think they would work for more than a cup or so. Bringing your own ground coffee would likely not work. It isn't the best coffee in the world but it is very drinkable for a cup or two. We will get started with our 1 plus cup sometimes enjoy it on the deck and then either order from room service or head out for some real stuff. 

20 hours ago, electro said:

Aeropress is much less messy than french press.

Kind of a gimmicky gadget if you ask me.  Creating an entirely new and unnecessary design insinuates there was a need for it because of grounds in the finished product, and that has never been an issue in reality.  It would only be an issue to someone who never used it, but was concerned that it might happen.  Having the grounds that high up off the table will make the flimsly, light plastic gadget to be top heavy and risk toppling when pressure is applied.  Also, you're still dealing with grounds, just before you drink your coffee instead of after.  And that would be the only advantage with going with a cheap plastic knock off version of a french press.  But I certainly wasn't insinuating that a cafetiere was the only choice.  Just that you're not Gorilla glued to the inferior options the cruiselines provide wherein coffee is concerned.

Edited by MotownVoice

3 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Kind of a gimmicky gadget if you ask me.  Creating an entirely new and unnecessary design insinuates there was a need for it because of grounds in the finished product, and that has never been an issue in reality.  It would only be an issue to someone who never used it, but was concerned that it might happen.  Having the grounds that high up off the table will make the flimsly, light plastic gadget to be top heavy and risk toppling when pressure is applied.  Also, you're still dealing with grounds, just before you drink your coffee instead of after.  And that would be the only advantage with going with a cheap plastic knock off version of a french press.  But I certainly wasn't insinuating that a cafetiere was the only choice.  Just that you're not Gorilla glued to the inferior options the cruiselines provide wherein coffee is concerned.

Not gimmicky at all. My DH has used one every day for the last 5 years or so. Says he will never go back to a french press. because it uses a small filter, there is no grinds in your coffee, and because the coffee is made under pressure it has more flavor than the french press. The grinds come out in a little puck that you just pop into the garbage. much less messy than cleaning the grinds from the french press. The plastic is not flimsy and in 5 year my DH has never "toppled" it. Also, because it is plastic, no worry about it breaking in you luggage.

Maybe you should try it before you form an opinion.

I'm actually surprised by the responses on the coffee being awful lol. I am a huge coffee drinker... drinking one now and it's 2am lol. And I like strong coffee. I find the coffee maker in the room great! Coffee is nice and strong, stronger than at buffett or room service. I always ask the steward to load me up with pods and creamers. 

• Like 1