What's the difference between "we pick your room" and "you pick your room" guarantee?

49 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

They are both guarantee cabins, right? So why is the "you pick your room" one showing up as more expensive? This is in the balcony category, if it matters.

I thought if you were picking the room it wouldn't be a guarantee and if they pick the room it's a guarantee thus the cheaper price for the we pick your room?

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

The "We Pick Your Room" categories are the guarantee-specific categories (WS, XB, XN, YO, ZI).  The "You Pick Your Room" categories are specific stateroom categories that have gone into guarantee status.  If you book the former, you can get assigned to any room in that category.  With the latter, you are guaranteed no worse than the category specified.  There's not always logic behind the pricing, as factors such as Going Going Gone can make certain categories cost more or less than their typical hierarchy.

For example:

If you book a category XB, you can get assigned any type of balcony from class 1A-2E.

If you book a category 6D guarantee, you'll never get assigned to a 7-8D or a class E, but could still get as high as a 1A (or whatever the best balcony cabin the ship has).

Edited by timf2001

17 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

The "We Pick Your Room" categories are the guarantee-specific categories (WS, XB, XN, YO, ZI).  The "You Pick Your Room" categories are specific stateroom categories that have gone into guarantee status.  If you book the former, you can get assigned to any room in that category.  With the latter, you are guaranteed no worse than the category specified.  There's not always logic behind the pricing, as factors such as Going Going Gone can make certain categories cost more or less than their typical hierarchy.

For example:

If you book a category XB, you can get assigned any type of balcony from class 1A-2E.

If you book a category 6D guarantee, you'll never get assigned to a 7-8D or a class E, but could still get as high as a 1A (or whatever the best balcony cabin the ship has).

Thanks for the explanation. Learned something new today. 🙂

23 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

For example:

Boy, they are really getting nitpicky, aren't they?  😮  🙂 

Wow, had no clue.   We recently booked one and chose the lowest cost gty not knowing or having it explained by royal what it meant.  We did wonder what the difference was but didn't think to ask.  Live and learn.  I'm not worried but it will be interesting to see what we eventually get.  For the price we paid I guess I'm ok. It would have been nice to have it explained though as we might have made a different choice.

2 hours ago, timf2001 said:

For example:

I'm a newbie, can you explain what 7-8D and class E would mean? Do all ships have all the categories? This is on the Explorer.

10 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

I'm a newbie, can you explain what 7-8D and class E would mean? Do all ships have all the categories? This is on the Explorer.

Explorer has class D (regular) and class B (spacious) balcony cabins.  The lower numbers are considered better locations, with 1B being the best and 7D being the worst.  Even number categories fit only 2 people, while odd number categories can fit additional guests.  Class E only applies to Quantum class, which is obstructed view balcony.

6 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Explorer has class D (regular) and class B (spacious) balcony cabins.  The lower numbers are considered better locations, with 1B being the best and 7D being the worst.  Even number categories fit only 2 people, while odd number categories can fit additional guests.  Class E only applies to Quantum class, which is obstructed view balcony.

Thanks! Once they assign me, will it say what the category is?

4 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Thanks! Once they assign me, will it say what the category is?

Yes, and assuming you are in the U.S. you can then request a change to any other room in the same category (letter and number).

4 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

They are both guarantee cabins, right? So why is the "you pick your room" one showing up as more expensive?

It depends, but most of the time the "you pick the room" is simply that, you choose the exact cabin and that's why it's more expensive. Right after this choice, you should get to pick a certain cabin. And some times, the RCI site is simply messed up and it gives you those choices to confuse you to come to CC to ask.

3 hours ago, timf2001 said:

For example:

I don't even see where it says the type of cabin you are getting with a "We pick your room" option.  Say, in the case of an Interior on the Majesty, I have two options:

1 - "You pick your room" for an interior, which doesn't let me choose and actual cabin, but rather kicks me to an "Interior Guarantee"  which is listed as 2v, 4v or 6v

1 - "We pick your room" for an interior.  (This option doesn't say what level of cabin, 2v, 4v, or 6v, but how could it be any different?)

Edited by The Fun Researcher

3 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I don't even see where it says the type of cabin you are getting with a "We pick your room" option.  Say, in the case of an Interior on the Majesty, I have two options:

1 - "You pick your room" for an interior, which doesn't let me choose and actual cabin, but rather kicks me to and "Interior Guarantee"  which is listed as 2v, 4v or 6v

1 - "We pick your room" for an interior.  (This option doesn't say what level of cabin, 2v, 4v, or 6v, but how could it be any different?)

This was exactly my question. When you do "we pick your room" you go right to the checkout pages, and there is no indication of which level cabin you are guaranteeing. On "you pick your room", the guarantee says it could be 1D, 3D, 5D, 6D or 7D. This includes the "worst" cabins as described above by timf2001. Why would the second option be $50 more, since both seem to guarantee a 7D and up? It makes no sense.

Again, the pricing doesn't always make sense.  The XB ("we choose") and 7D ("you choose") categories are priced differently.  Depending on what promotion they are running the XB could be the same, lower or even higher than the 7D.  Once they get down to a limited number of 7D rooms remaining, it goes into guarantee status so that while you are getting the price of a room you would normally get to choose yourself, they instead choose it for you.  Book whichever one is the better deal.

2 hours ago, timf2001 said:

Again, the pricing doesn't always make sense.  The XB ("we choose") and 7D ("you choose") categories are priced differently.  Depending on what promotion they are running the XB could be the same, lower or even higher than the 7D.  Once they get down to a limited number of 7D rooms remaining, it goes into guarantee status so that while you are getting the price of a room you would normally get to choose yourself, they instead choose it for you.  Book whichever one is the better deal.

It's kind of comical if you ask me, but hey, so is RCCL's website many times.  🤣😡

Dan

I've seen it on our upcoming Allure sailing as you being able to choose between neighborhood or oceanview balcony guarantees. We booked 3 of us in the oceanview balcony gty so waiting to see where we end up. Not sure how their algorithm will handle a baby as our third.