El Cielo and Palancar snorkeling closed until, at least, January 2020

cyntil8ing

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/part-of-cozumel-national-park-temporarily-suspended-to-tourists/2019.html

Cozumel, Q.R. — The National Commission of Natural Protected Areas will temporarily suspend all aquatic activities in a part of the Cozumel Arrecifes National Park due to excessive coral damage. 

The partial closure of el Parque Nacional Arrecifes de Cozumel was decided during a meeting of the Advisory Council formed by state and municipal authorities, civil society organizations and businessmen, who unanimously endorsed the closure.

Brenda Hernández, deputy director of the Cozumel Reef National Park, announced that beginning October 7, tourists will be banned from the reefs that run from Punta Palancar to Playa Box, which includes Colombia, El Cielo and Palancar.

Hernández Hernández said that the marine ecosystems in that area are the most visited by tourists and are under great duress, which is why they need to apply actions to protect them.

She stated that after receiving the results of several studies, the decision to temporarily close the area was made to lighten the load, which is subjected to visitors every day, and attempt to reduce the impact of coral bleaching, which she added, has killed around 50 percent of Cozumel corals.

According to study by Agencia de Cooperación Alemana, 80 percent of the diving and snorkeling activities in Cozumel are carried out within the Protected Natural Area which receives approximately 1.8 million visitors per year.

Hernández Hernández says they will evaluate the area again in November and decide then if that section of park will be reopened in January or indefinitely closed. She reminds tourists that there are 11 other sites still open for diving and other aquatic activities in the park.

We're looking at a private charter on Cozumel in early Jan.  Any idea if this bans all visits to El Cielo, for example, or if it's specific to the reefs?  Not knowing the area well, would the boat still be able to land at a spot that allows folks to get in the sandy bottom water and/or swim to the beach?  

8 hours ago, uvadover said:

We're looking at a private charter on Cozumel in early Jan.  Any idea if this bans all visits to El Cielo, for example, or if it's specific to the reefs?  Not knowing the area well, would the boat still be able to land at a spot that allows folks to get in the sandy bottom water and/or swim to the beach?  

No boats are going to be allowed into the entire area, from what I understand.  They are doing a study on the damage to the coral reefs.  Unfortunately, that includes the area of El Cielo.  

Latest report says they are reopening the area in mid-Dec.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 1:38 PM, dancingfish said:

I booked an excursion for a November cruise and checked in with them and they have already got things rescheduled to different locations. Two different locations for snorkeling and a different sandy bottom area for lunch and starfish etc...

What company did you book?

1 minute ago, dancingfish said:

Cozemel Cruise Excursions. They are very friendly and quick to answer any questions.  I haven't used them yet but we leave next weekend so I will be sure to provide an update when we get back

That would be great!!! I also have them booked for when we are in Cozumel in February and would love an update!

• 2 weeks later...

@BNL1213  Just got back from our cruise and Cozemel Cruise Excursions was an excellent choice (in my opinion) They meet that the HOTEL EL CID which is literally steps out side of the port on the left.  They use their dock to pick you up in a small little boat. There were 16 of us. They took us to three spots where we saw a TON of fish. And then took us to an area to have nachos and drinks and just chill out in the water. 

It was worth it !!! I can't imagine anyone not having a great time.  I suggest no matter how great a swimmer you are to take them up on the waist floats. It is a lot of swimming.  (if you have non swimmers in the group they will put full life jackets and have them hang on to floats as well.) . 

They are just as great in person as they were in emails! You are in for a treat!

36 minutes ago, dancingfish said:

@BNL1213  Just got back from our cruise and Cozemel Cruise Excursions was an excellent choice (in my opinion) They meet that the HOTEL EL CID which is literally steps out side of the port on the left.  They use their dock to pick you up in a small little boat. There were 16 of us. They took us to three spots where we saw a TON of fish. And then took us to an area to have nachos and drinks and just chill out in the water. 

It was worth it !!! I can't imagine anyone not having a great time.  I suggest no matter how great a swimmer you are to take them up on the waist floats. It is a lot of swimming.  (if you have non swimmers in the group they will put full life jackets and have them hang on to floats as well.) . 

They are just as great in person as they were in emails! You are in for a treat!

Was this Cozumel cruise excursions  dot com or dot net?

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Was this Cozumel cruise excursions  dot com or dot net?

I have been in touch with dot net.

18 hours ago, dancingfish said:

Thank you so much @dancingfish!!  Great review.  I am really excited now!

• 3 weeks later...

Please   ** DO NOT Book **  online with a company called "El Cielo Cozumel". 

We were unaware of the reef closure for our November cruise, and this company did not email us or inform us of any changes that would be happening to our excursion. They were happy to take our money (I booked a party of 12!), then they pawned us off on another boat, without giving us any alternatives or options. Not a good way to do business. 

The company will not answer the phone now, or reply to any emails, or even chat online with me on their website.

12 hours ago, NeedToVacation said:

Please   ** DO NOT Book **  online with a company called "El Cielo Cozumel". 

We were unaware of the reef closure for our November cruise, and this company did not email us or inform us of any changes that would be happening to our excursion. They were happy to take our money (I booked a party of 12!), then they pawned us off on another boat, without giving us any alternatives or options. Not a good way to do business. 

The company will not answer the phone now, or reply to any emails, or even chat online with me on their website.

post it on trip advisor also with a “terrible” rating!! That will reach more people than these boards!