How come X does not go to private island's

dolittle

Many on this site (and this cruise line) are bored with some Caribbean stops .Was wondering why X does not do private islands the parent co. has spent big time on these (I think they have two). Is it just to be different or set them  apart . I know many do not like P.I . but many would . Does anyone know and would you like to do a P.I. on your next cruise.

Could care less.  We stay on the ship at many Caribbean’s ports but still love the cruise.  If you want an out island you can simply cruise on another line.  And if you find the Caribbean boring, there are cruises to and around all 7 continents.

Hank

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

There’s a huge difference in scale.....Celebrity has ten ships, how many doesRoyal have?  Royal can more easily spend the big money, and would have more ships to take advantage of a private island

Shouldn't be a big deal.  On an Equinox sailing couple of years ago we stopped at Labadee.  Oasis and Navigator were there as well.  That's over 10k passengers.  Didn't feel overcrowded.

55 minutes ago, dolittle said:

Many on this site (and this cruise line) are bored with some Caribbean stops .Was wondering why X does not do private islands the parent co. has spent big time on these (I think they have two). Is it just to be different or set them  apart . I know many do not like P.I . but many would . Does anyone know and would you like to do a P.I. on your next cruise.

Not enough ambulatory customers.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

I agree with your sentiments about PI and X.  I would rather stop at a PI than many of the Caribbean islands that we visit.  We usually just stay on the ship, but we would get off at a PI.

Private islands hold no interest for us. We went once and were back on the ship  in about 90 minutes.  We aren’t beach people when we go to the Caribbean we take a tour, go to a cooking class, go for a hike.  We would skip a cruise that stopped at a private island.

• Like 2

Love going to the private island.  We have stopped at Labadee and Coco Cay during Celebrity cruises.  We didn’t get off the ship in Coco Cay because it was a tender port.  Now Coco Cay has a regular dock.  It’s an easy beach day at the private islands because you just walk off the ship and look for a lounge chair.  No cost for taxis and chairs, clean bathrooms, and free lunch - a good deal.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Private islands hold no interest for us. We went once and were back on the ship  in about 90 minutes.  We aren’t beach people when we go to the Caribbean we take a tour, go to a cooking class, go for a hike.  We would skip a cruise that stopped at a private island.

Most P.I.s have nice hiking trails ,is is easy to get away from the crowds when you take a little walk .

I guess that’s why there are so many different cruise lines - each have different options and focus, and we can then go to other Lines to enjoy the differences. I’m personally glad every Line doesn't have the same entertainments/restaurants/ports/etc. Can’t be done. 

Each of us wish the things we enjoy would be what some Line would do: I’ll never understand why Celebrity didn’t have the M-Class T-spa on the S- and E- Class ships!! But then again, I then go on different Celebrity Class ships and enjoy their differences. 

Den

We went to Labadee--the private island of RCCL about 10 days ago when during our Celebrity sailing the weather was going to make Key West a no go.

It was a nice day and Celebrity did a great job 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ports/labadee-haiti

several private islands here...

https://www.celebritycruises.com/destinations/caribbean-cruises/eastern-caribbean-cruises

also check the other tabs for more ports

Edited by Fogfog

3 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Not enough ambulatory customers.

Probably more true than we might like to admit!

Perhaps someday they could build some new type of chic private island to compliment the innovative and contemporary feel of Edge-class ships, but the current trends in private islands (waterparks, outdoor buffets, zip lines, beaches, swim-up bars) don't seem to fit the Celebrity clientele. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dolittle said:

Here is my opinion on going to the beach.

I am 71 years old and once enjoyed the beach.  However, after having two good friends die of skin cancer, it makes you be more careful.  I go to the dermatologist every six months for a checkup.   Even when I visit my Daughter and my Grandchildren and they go to the beach, I still wear my shirt, sit under an umbrella and wear sun block.  Also, riding down a water slide doesn't work for me now either.   We did one Caribbean cruise in 2012 and enjoyed visiting the historical places, but we don't cruise the Caribbean now.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There’s a huge difference in scale.....Celebrity has ten ships, how many doesRoyal have?  Royal can more easily spend the big money, and would have more ships to take advantage of a private island

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises, assumed the lease of the island upon acquisition of Admiral Cruises[3] and renamed it Coco Cay, one of the first cruise lines to lease islands for their exclusive use....

31 minutes ago, SC_Floaters said:

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises, assumed the lease of the island upon acquisition of Admiral Cruises[3] and renamed it Coco Cay, one of the first cruise lines to lease islands for their exclusive use....

I seemed to remember that we were supposed to tender there a few years ago. Is the dock a recent addition?

12 hours ago, miched said:

It may be because they are private.  

Would you want passengers from a cruise ship ship trespassing on a island that you owned?   

Happy cruising 🚢🇺🇸🌅

Well the private islands are owned by the cruise ship company not private citizens. 

Like others have mentioned, we stopped at Labadee and it was really nice. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I seemed to remember that we were supposed to tender there a few years ago. Is the dock a recent addition?

Royal and N.C.L. have done major upgrades to their P.I.s (Coco Cay) they are right next to each other and Coco Cay  now has a pier.

Our HAL cruise stopped at a private island, Half Moon Cay- another HAL ship was anchored there too. DH chose to stay on the Nieuw Statendam as basal cell carcinomas afflict him, but I was invited to join a couple from the roll call who'd been there before.  

It was a zoo for the quarter-mile of beach closest to where the tenders docked. Luckily the couple and I were mobile and able to walk far from the madding crowd to find a relatively empty place. Shade was hard to find there, though.

That one private island experience was enough for me. I can't imagine how it could be enjoyable for those who are limited to certain areas of the beach. Even growing up on Long Island and spending many a day at Jones Beach, people have never been blanket-to-blanket like on Half Moon Cay!