Paper straws on Celebrity

GweninTX

I bring the fancy decorated paper straws with me.  They are the high end party ones with a better coating so they don’t taste papery and they last longer. Plus the different metallic decorations on them make me smile and dresses up my drink. I am happy to share at the bar too. 

Mary Ann

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Why wasn't the Op taught by their parents to drink via the lip of a glass.🍻

REALLY???????????????????????????/

Did your Mom teach you when you were little that if you can't say something nice, don't say ANYTHING at all! Or better yet, just move on!

Edited by GweninTX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really don't like the taste of the paper ones either...just yuck.  Most of my drinks are mimosas, martinis and wine so thankfully don't have to deal with the straws except for a frozen drink here or there.  My daughter has to drink out of a straw though due to expanders and braces so we bought the silicone reusable ones.  They work fantastic, would highly recommend!

39 minutes ago, GweninTX said:

REALLY???????????????????????????/

Did your Mom teach you when you were little that if you can't say something nice, don't say ANYTHING at all! Or better yet, just move on!

Still not answered the question.

I didn't have a mom I had a Mum (Mutti), she taught me to speak my mind (as here), cause if you don't speak up /stick up for yourself noone else will do it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wine-O said:

You can get the flexible plastic straws at Kroger or your local Dollar Store for $1.00 for 100 of them.  Bring your own.   I hate the politically correct paper ones.  It's not about saving the environment or the turtles.  It's just a bunch of feel good nonsense, yada, yada, yada.  🍷

Have you seen the pictures of what they do to turtles and other marine life?

• Like 1

They are also using paper straws on Solstice. They must be the cheapest brand they can find.

The flavor of drink changed and tasted like cardboard, some had holes and none lasted a full drink, whether it was a cocktail or latte. In the meantime, thanks for a reminder to find an environmentally friendly alternative for our next cruise! Perhaps stock pile some from local restaurants that have better quality! 😆

3 hours ago, Wine-O said:

We should ban metal straws also, since they can kill people.   I'll continue to use my plastic straws even if I have to bring them with me.

https://www.livescience.com/65925-metal-straw-death.html    🍷

It wasn't the straw's fault she fell on it.  "Straws don't kill people, falling people kill people"

BTW ...which line will be the first one to ban bringing plastic straws on board? 😐

3 hours ago, Wine-O said:

We should ban metal straws also, since they can kill people.   I'll continue to use my plastic straws even if I have to bring them with me.

https://www.livescience.com/65925-metal-straw-death.html    🍷

Holy crap, we have and use titanium straws at home. It never occurred to me that falling while holding it might cause injury, but yeah, I guess it can happen.

1 hour ago, CardRock said:

I just didn't drink with a straw much.  Not that big of a deal.  What I did have a problem with were the paper cups that they used in the smoothie bar.  They got soggy and unusable after just a few minutes.

Paper cups too? Yikes...

Have to add some reg ones to my cruise  stuff...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Holy crap, we have and use titanium straws at home. It never occurred to me that falling while holding it might cause injury, but yeah, I guess it can happen.

Don't run with the scissors!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riredsox said:

Have you seen the pictures of what they do to turtles and other marine life?

There are hundreds of millions of turtles out there, and one shows up with a straw in the eye/nostril, or whatever?   Go talk to China and India who are the major plastics polluters and leave my plastic straws alone.  🍷

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

What is a straw lover??  That is funny.  

I never really gave this issue any thought with regards to a cruise until reading this.  Now I'm probably going to be overthinking straws every time I use one on board.  Lol.  

One of my sons runs a cafe.  While he often bemoans the cost of the environmentally friendly straws, he uses them because that is what the customers want.     

Anyway, better stock up on plastic straws. They will probably be a black market item soon. (Remember how folks started to hoard cyclamates!).  

Infinity had the paper straws this summer.  

The quality of paper straw chosen by Celebrity did impart a taste to the drink and if you were slowly drinking they tended to come apart. 

The previous plastic straws were provided in your drink with the paper still on the sipping end. 

The papers do not and are just in a bin. Less hygienic. 

Now that we know, we can decide if we want to bring our own straws. 

Mirage

19 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Even better than bringing your own plastic, buy a pack of reusable metal straws that come with a small brush -- 

Such a good idea...or so I thought.  I was so proud of myself for picking up a pack of 6 metal straws (with a cleaning brush) on Amazon before my last cruise.  Left every d@mn one of them in a drink somewhere along the way ☹️.  It's back to plastic for me, I'm afraid.

Agree with OP, paper straws are bad no matter how fast I drink!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Haha 1