Cruising from SanPedro

goalman

Will be cruising from SanPedro in May. I have never sailed from this port and will be arriving the day before embarkation. Would appreciate any tips and info on whether to transport to port or stay in L.A./ Also where to stay and best way to transport to cruise from LAX. 

Make  your way to San Pedro and stay at either the Double Tree or the Crowne Plaza. The CP is damn near right across the street from the port. There are a handful of bars and restaurants in the area. San Pedro Brewing Company is yummy.

I personally avoid staying anywhere in LA if arriving only the day before. There really isn't much time to see anything, in my opinion. Plus, traffic can be a nightmare on cruise day and I simply prefer the relaxation of being located so close to port. The CP has a nice pool area... you can get up in the morning before your cruise and hang in the pool for an hour or two before your cruise. Great way to start!

There are tons of threads on San Pedro in the West Coast Departures forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

As for transportation to San Pedro from LAX, pick your poison. Many people take SuperShuttle or Uber. Some prefer a personal car service, which is what DW and I do.

Edited by Outerdog

I have done a cruise out of San Pedro only once. We stayed at the Crown Plaza as well as several others from Cruise Critic. We all went to dinner at a pub about 2 blocks away. The location was great, the hotel was great and the food at the pub was great. We took Super Shuttle to the hotel from the airport. Crown Plaza is very close to the cruise port. Crown Plaza had shuttles to the ship in the morning. If I ever go out of San Pedro again I will do the exact same thing.

50 minutes ago, goalman said:

Will be cruising from SanPedro in May. I have never sailed from this port and will be arriving the day before embarkation. Would appreciate any tips and info on whether to transport to port or stay in L.A./ Also where to stay and best way to transport to cruise from LAX. 

From/To LAX

Uber/Lyft appox $30 to $40, up to 4 people. (Based on demand)

Cab approx $60 plus, up to 4 people.

Super Shuttle or PrimeTime Shuttle approx $18pp

We don't care for the hotel options in San Pedro anymore so we use hotels in Long Beach which is a short Uber/Lyft or cab ride to the pier.

In our experience the fare from LAX is about the same to LB.

We also stayed at the Crowne Plaza. We drove over to LA from Phoenix and they had a great cruise special that included room, free drinks on arrival, free parking for the length of the cruise, transport to ship in the morning ... and then pick up at ship and transport back to hotel when we returned. Very convenient.

local here, i like to spend the night in long beach and then take a lyft over to san pedro.i live far enough that i don't want to deal with commute traffic in the morning to get to pier, and i consider the night before the start of the vacation.  san pedro and crown are fine, but be aware, san pedro pretty much close sup show at 5pm and you will have trouble finding things open.  this is why i stay in long beach. 

i will say, if you stay at the crown, do try the happy diner, it is delicious, i loved the pumpkin pancakes https://happydinersp.com/

Edited by vampiress

Just to be technically correct for those of you who said you would never stay in LA but advised staying in San Pedro.  San Pedro is actually part of LA.  It is a named area but not a separate city.  I agree with staying there or in the Santa Monica area.  I would not stay at the airport.

31 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

San Pedro is actually part of LA.

It is now. Prior to 1909, it was a separate city up until San Pedro and Wilmington consolidated with the City of Los Angeles.

...since we're being technically correct (aka, pedantic).

19 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

It is now. Prior to 1909, it was a separate city up until San Pedro and Wilmington consolidated with the City of Los Angeles.

...since we're being technically correct (aka, pedantic).

I was well aware of that but felt better living in the present and not a century ago.  I thought pedantic might be your biggest word but realized you snuck consolidated in there also.

• Like 1

Either Crowne Plaza of Doubletree. We stay at Crowne Plaza. We always stop into San Pedro Brewing Company for food and beer and we generally take a walk down to CVS or another chain (Rite Aid maybe?) that's pretty much the same distance to buy wine for embarkation. If driving then folks tell me Doubletree is a better deal with free (?) parking.

We did Super Shuttle from LAX to Doubletree in SP - good ride and fair price IMO.  Just walked up to the stand outside of luggage clain and waited 20 minutes for the next shuttle.

Loved Doubletree - great staff, warm chocolate chip cookies and nice rooms.  Dined there and it was very good and reasonable price IMO.

I think where to stay partially depends on when you arrive at LAX. If you arrive 4PM or later I'd choose San Pedro and the Crowne Plaza, followed by the DoubleTree. If you arrive 2PM or earlier, I'd choose Long Beach and a hotel like the Hyatt Centric or Hyatt Regency.

The difference in trying to decide where to stay and I why I recommend based on arrival time, is the number of things to see and do. San Pedro is for just getting there and flopping. Downtown Long Beach has a number of interesting sights and a much bigger variety of restaurants.

For transportation from LAX, I'd use Uber or Lyft. The trouble with SuperShuttle's shared service is that if you are the first ones in the van, they'll wait to fill it up and then may make two or three stops before dropping you off.

I agree with scott's description above. Where you stay will depend on when you arrive .

For those who think the Doubletree is more isolated than the Crowne Plaza I would remind them that the free hotel shuttle will take you to restaurants/stores nearby as well as to the port .

We collect Hilton pts so the Doubletree is where we stay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I agree with scott's description above. Where you stay will depend on when you arrive .

For those who think the Doubletree is more isolated than the Crowne Plaza I would remind them that the free hotel shuttle will take you to restaurants/stores nearby as well as to the port .

We collect Hilton pts so the Doubletree is where we stay.

True about the shuttle - quick, easy and FREE from the hotel to the pier.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:43 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

From/To LAX

Uber/Lyft appox $30 to $40, up to 4 people. (Based on demand)

Cab approx $60 plus, up to 4 people.

Just be aware it was announced after the post I quoted was posted that starting at the end of this month (October, 2019) Uber/Lyft/Taxi service that previously left from the upper level of LAX will require a shuttle to a designated parking lot to then get your requested ride.

55 minutes ago, hallux said:

Just be aware it was announced after the post I quoted was posted that starting at the end of this month (October, 2019) Uber/Lyft/Taxi service that previously left from the upper level of LAX will require a shuttle to a designated parking lot to then get your requested ride.

That sucks. Thanks for the update.

3 hours ago, mek said:

Are any rental car offices close to San Pedro?

Enterprise is at the Crowne Plaza, Hertz is across the street--both walking distance from the cruise terminal...But, beware, both close at 1:00 pm Saturday and are closed Sunday...

If you need to pick up or return a car on a Saturday afternoon or on a Sunday, you may have to use an agency in Downtown Long Beach--7 or 8 miles away...Avis, Enterprise and Budget there are open Saturday and Sunday mornings, but all close at 1:00 pm or 2:00 pm...

14 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Enterprise is at the Crowne Plaza, Hertz is across the street--both walking distance from the cruise terminal...But, beware, both close at 1:00 pm Saturday and are closed Sunday...

If you need to pick up or return a car on a Saturday afternoon or on a Sunday, you may have to use an agency in Downtown Long Beach--7 or 8 miles away...Avis, Enterprise and Budget there are open Saturday and Sunday mornings, but all close at 1:00 pm or 2:00 pm...

I should be able to make that work.  I want to go to the Rose Parade in 2021, so staying in Pasadena on 12/30/20 - 1/2/21 and then driving down to San Pedro on the morning of 1/2, (Saturday), to board Royal Princess.

My husband is disabled, so could I drop him and the bags off and then walk over to the terminal by myself?

Thanks