Discovery 2 Med Cruise 14th to 28th September

Didn't think I would ever have to write this sort of report, I will try to keep it short and it is only my opinion.

The good first, normal excellent service in all restaurants, bars and deck areas all staff still friendly and smiley, thats the new initiative. Food we found very good in all restaurants including the speciality ones, but we did not use Islands.

Entertainment was very good with the exception, IMO, of the show team who I felt were weak.

With the exception of two days weather was good as were the POC.

Now the disappointing bit for us.

We had a junior suite (8086) which we had on Discovery for a couple of cruises in the past and have it booked for next year on D2 again I would no longer recommend this cabin, as I have in the past for which I apologize, as it's in a sad state of repair, with draws held together with tape dirty and ripped curtains but the worst for us was that the balcony was unusable due to maintenance issued with the funnel scrubbers, which the Captain informed us will be replaced in November. We had a daily deep clean but the soot returned after an hour or so, the problem this deep clean created was an increase in bugs😲 , cockroaches and crickets and when you see the amount and size of the crickets in the day on your balcony you don't open the door. I still say the cabin is in a great position and very quiet apart from the crickets.

This ship is very tired compared to Discovery, which we love, I even think it falls below Dream and Celebration and they are poor.

We meet, as you do, some lovely cruisers but we also had some very disruptive ones who' attempted to drink the ship dry. The dress standards have been 'addressed' in other posts.

We had the premium drinks package for a vast range of top quality beverages but standard would be fine.

Transfers and flights all ok and not interruptions due to TC issues.

Haven't yet decided whether to cancel our next cruise on this ship which we may have to do if we can't transfer to E2.

So sorry you had such a problem with your cabin and balcony Pensioncruiser I would definitely have expected some sort of compensation after paying for a Junior Suite. Glad the food was up to scratch but sorry to hear the show team weren't. What bands were on? 

Its worrying about dress standards dropping and cruisers who want to drink the ship dry

Glad we're on Discovery next year and hope you can switch to E2

Oh dear! How awful for you 😵 So sorry to hear of your disappointment. Surely they should compensate you for the balcony being unfit for purpose. Really not fair and no excuse is good enough.

We were on this ship last December and really enjoyed it,so can only assume it has been left to go to pot.

Its awful when other people can spoil things for others by drinking to excess,but why do they keep serving them?

Really hope you manage to get your next cruise changed, but if not hopefully there will be vast improvements made before you go.

Will update when I have more info, sorry Vitalsign did not pick up a cruise news and memory not too good but it was Waves in the Venue Manuel Calamari on the yellow piano he was good, Sax player who we have seen before, guitarist think Paul , an absolutely brilliant solo singer don't recall his name well built short fella! one of the best phillipeno quartets I have seen in the Live room Syc........ sorry again think they are as good as 2Intense, don't tell anyone I said that, 

Bottom line we still had a great time.

PS to my report no port maps they are on the app which you can't zoom in? 

And cruise news is not as good as in the past😏

Edited by Pensioncruiser
S

We thought the ship wasnt in bad shape but only had an OV on deck 2. Not keen on shower curtain but was ok. Otherwise pretty much same experience on D2. I thought shows were good just some not to our taste eg meatloaf one but enjoyed broadway, glitz and starry nite. We also been looking at next year and Marella are coming out expensive compared to others even if you add all extras to other cruises prices they're still top dollar some thinking to do........

So sorry to hear of your experience on Discovery 2.  Marella must have known about this problem before you boarded. Did they contact you beforehand to inform you about the situation. They should at the very least refund the supplement you paid for for the junior suite. I couldn't have stayed in this cabin as I have a phobia about insects and cockroaches in particular.

We haven't been on this ship yet so can't give an opinion but have to say we feel that standards have dropped on all the Marella ships we have been on. We feel this is due to cuts in staff in all departments.  The crew work hard  and keep on smiling but at times you can get a sense of resentment among some of the long serving members of staff as  they have told us it's like working for a different company now. 

Agree about some of the passengers and the dress code.  Sadly for some people the AI is the be all and end all of their holiday and some are completely over the top in their behaviour and attitude towards other passengers and crew. We witnessed one couple having a domestic, the language was shocking and all caused by over indulgence in alcohol.  It always amazes me when I hear people say they are making the most of their free beers and free cocktails and this seems to be their main reason for booking the cruise. 

They don't seem to realise they have paid upfront for their drinks and the price of the cruises have risen considerably to facilitate the AI.

I do hope you manage to get your cruise for next year sorted to your satisfaction. Good luck.

No worries,I've got my serious head on now.On D2 last year our steward was a total waste of space,forgetting lots of things etc.This year on E1 the steward was brilliant,doing his job well and towel animals as well.I think the service is normally good all round,but now and then someone draws the short straw.PS has Manuel got a cousin called Pedro Paella.

7 minutes ago, brian1 said:

No worries,I've got my serious head on now.On D2 last year our steward was a total waste of space,forgetting lots of things etc.This year on E1 the steward was brilliant,doing his job well and towel animals as well.I think the service is normally good all round,but now and then someone draws the short straw.PS has Manuel got a cousin called Pedro Paella.

🤫🤫🤐😅

Keep well.

UPDATE we can switch ships and date at a total cost of £50 each. Problem is  the costs have increased since we booked and they require an additional £480 + switch costs. Checked the latest cost for the booking we have and that has risen by £450. 

Still not clear what we will do. 

Nancyneptune, they did not inform us of any problems when we boarded. 

Brian /Brummijam, what can I say!🙄

Edited by Pensioncruiser

Thats a win-win for Marella, but very unfortunately not for you. You might  have hoped that as both your cruises had increased in cost by around £450, Marella could have been a bit more accomodating on the extra they required. No doubt its all in the T&C.

Our relatives have recently had to cancel a fully paid for cruise with Marella due to currently unresolved medical problems. They got 50% back from Marella, and are claiming the balance from the insurance (hopefully). When they cancelled, their cruise had also risen by £600, so another win-win for Marella.

Marella are no different to other holiday companies, its business, and shareholders are the ones to please before any customer.

I have just put in for a general claim at the moment as our TA is not over interested. Only ever had three claims in all our criuses, full refund of supplement on Dream for maintenance work, delayed flight from Dubrovnik and a court case based on 'seats together'  on Barbados flight awarded in my favor because they did not turn up at court!

I feel that all claim costs are estimated into the prices anyway. 

We are obviously disappointed at the moment only time will tell but as they know I am prepared to go all the way for justice 👺

Thanks all for your input.

2 hours ago, howmuch! said:

Thats a win-win for Marella, but very unfortunately not for you. You might  have hoped that as both your cruises had increased in cost by around £450, Marella could have been a bit more accomodating on the extra they required. No doubt its all in the T&C.

Our relatives have recently had to cancel a fully paid for cruise with Marella due to currently unresolved medical problems. They got 50% back from Marella, and are claiming the balance from the insurance (hopefully). When they cancelled, their cruise had also risen by £600, so another win-win for Marella.

Marella are no different to other holiday companies, its business, and shareholders are the ones to please before any customer.

Hi. Can you inform me how your relatives managed to get a 50% refund from marella for a paid up cruise.

I am in exactly the same situation and all that I have managed to get is a cancellation invoice.

regards Brumijam.

Edited by Brummijam

I did mention last year that there were above average rust issues on D2.Mainly the steel strapping that holds the wooden handrail on the top deck being totally eaten thru.I was kinda shot down for saying this.But there were teams constantly replacing sections.Hopefully they have got on top of the issue a year on.Having said that,I was very happy with the ship in general.

Pensioncruisser, sorry to read the above. We recently sailed D2 and found the ship to be in OK order, but we didn't have the issues you mention in the JS.

Definitely would encourage you to seek compensation as you paid extra for something you could not use through no fault of your own.

Have found pros and cons onboard D2, and E1 and E2 and have no particular preference for any one of them. They are what they are. We would sail of them again.

Off topic, but is anyone else finding the entertainment in the show lounges across the three is too loud?  Especially on those evenings when the shows are mostly musical acts?

Or is it just us showing our ages??!!

Edited by edinburgher

21 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Hi. Can you inform me how your relatives managed to get a 50% refund from marella for a paid up cruise.

I am in exactly the same situation and all that I have managed to get is a cancellation invoice.

regards Brumijam.

Hi, haven't had chance to ask them, but I assume it was according to the Tui T&C -

70 days or more - loss of deposit

63-69 days - 30%

62-49 days - 50%

29-48 days - 70%

15-28 days - 90%

0-14 days - 100%

They were due to sail with us Oct 11th, and cancelled in August

Edited by howmuch!

5 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

And Ex2 up on pool deck its ridiculous couldn't speak to the person 9n the sunbed next to you. And on D2 in the atrium too loud.

On D2 we found that the lounges were loud both from the loud music and the passengers having to shout to be heard over it. During the concert in the Atrium by the classical/operatic singer there was a lot of anger at the noise coming from the bar, the bar staff and the customers at the bar. At first we agreed with the complainers but on further thought it was difficult to find anywhere on the ship to have a quiet drink and a chat with friends. For most of the evenings there was loud or loudish entertainment in all bar areas even bar 11 the quietest area had singers/saxophonist/guitarist at times meaning there was no quiet bar area. 

6 hours ago, howmuch! said:

Hi, haven't had chance to ask them, but I assume it was according to the Tui T&C -

70 days or more - loss of deposit

63-69 days - 30%

62-49 days - 50%

29-48 days - 70%

15-28 days - 90%

0-14 days - 100%

They were due to sail with us Oct 11th, and cancelled in August

Thanks very much for the info.

In my case it was cancelled four days before the cruise date so we lost the lot.😥

Really appreciate the reply.😉

Keep well.

Edited by Brummijam

We have found the noise levels almost unbearable at times in most venues on each ship.  The problem appears to have got worse in the last couple of years. We are nowadays rarely able to find a quiet spot anywhere onboard.

When there are pianos or guitar players, why do they need such loud amplification?  All that happens is that everyone in that venue has to shout above it to converse with others.

Some musical instruments are better enjoyed as quieter background music. Or even "easy listening" pre-recorded music played as background would be an option. And it would mean there would be one venue where a peaceful pre or post dinner/show drink could be enjoyed.

Others appear to agree. Some interesting comments on this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2700732-new-ship-new-feature-exclusive/

Maybe a new thread on the subject would be better as this thread started by Pensioncruiser is veering way off topic.  And if anyone from Marella reads it, perhaps comments "could be passed upstairs to the high heid yins".

Edited by edinburgher