Half Moon Cay versus Princess Cay

uncleg

Here's the deal, promised my niece a cruise when she graduated from high school, she been wanting to cruise since she was a little girl, but her age, timing (aka Travel ball) never allowed for it to happen.  Anyway the only thing she wants to be able to do is be able to see her feet through the clear blue water. LOL  We are looking are  cruises now and I know what to expect from Half moon Cay, but not Princess Cay, are they comparable?  Which is better?

No comparison with Half Moon   The beach is maybe 50 yards wide and rocky.

We avoid Princess cay or if we have to go there stay on the ship, not a beach port but a cabana look at the view port.   JMO

Princess cay would remind me of the beach at Tygart Lake 🙂  Yep from Fairmont Originally 🙂 

Edited by Tyhunt

The beach on Princess Cay is rocky (watershoes!) but the water is clear and beautiful.

The beach on HMC is like heaven.

Since your niece wants to see her feet through clear water then I would pick HMC (unless she has Hobbit feet then PC would be no problem).

Like an other poster said try and find a cruise that includes Grand Turk if possible.

Ugh.  Dislike Grand Turk very much.  At least, around the port area.

Anyway, yes HMC all the way.

Now, there's nothing wrong with Princess Cays for a beach day, but I'm not a swimmer so the rocky beach doesn't impact me.  If you go there, do wear water shoes, though.  At the end of the month, I'm going to try going away from the main area on PC and see if I like it better down there.

I'm not even a beach person, but HMC is just so gorgeous!

• Like 1

I will agree with the others HMC beats Princess Cay by a long shot. When my DW and I went we were so let down by the beach. I wonder what is the reason that Princess doesn't do anything to improve this? I am sure a lot of it environmental but I got to think they could do something. 

Edited by VolzCruiser
  • Like 1

I've never been to HMC. But, I was just at Princess Cays last week. And I just don't get what people mean by the beach being rocky and having to wear water shoes. I didn't wear any and it was fine. We went down the beach and chose chairs close to the Sanctuary area. It was all soft sand walking down into the water and once we waded/swam out. 

Now, there were rocks on the beach and in the water, but they were large and easily avoided. It was also not crowded at all and I thought the scenery was amazing.

08.thumb.jpg.8967c88b6a5a8c23cc379d61fbc90724.jpg

Edited by MisterOJ2
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, NCTribeFan said:

Ugh.  Dislike Grand Turk very much.  At least, around the port area

The only thing we like in GT is diving the wall, it is an amazing dive. Our divemaster killed at least 15 Lionfish, pretty cool. We take a morning dive and back to the ship around noon and relax on the empty Serenity area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2019 at 10:38 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

We like this beach near Princess Cay

DSC08334_zpsysxtcwgz.jpg

half1_zpsdhjwhqrx.jpg

This is gorgeous and so secluded - how do you get here?  Going to Princess Cay the first week of February and

its a first time there.  Any other suggestions on what to do while there?  I'm just ready to take in some sun and

relax.

31 minutes ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

This is gorgeous and so secluded - how do you get here?  Going to Princess Cay the first week of February and

its a first time there.  Any other suggestions on what to do while there?  I'm just ready to take in some sun and

relax.

We went with Donald @ Eluthera Tours . There was a nice walk and a snorkel area and he prepared lunch on a grill that he had brought . There was rum punch at lunch or other drinks . http://eleutheratours.com/tours/

See this note : ** Note:  Disney has purchased this property to create a private cruise ship port for themselves.  Soon you will not be able to go here unless on a Disney cruise and it will no longer be pristine and uncrowded.  See it now before Disney prohibits access!  **

Edited by scubacruiserx2

• 2 weeks later...

We like both. They are both really great beach days.  I actually prefer Princess Cays because we like to snorkel and it is so much better there.  We always go to the right side of the island if you are facing the island. There are a lot less people over there. 

• Like 2