CCL STOCK /BENEFITS

mcrcruiser

Carnival Corp stock is very close to it's yearly low . now that the stock market is pulling back due to 2 months of contracting manufacturing activity in the USA  ,the over all stock market is reacting very negatively  .Today the DOW Jones average was down at one point over 500 points .

Certainly ,hospitality stocks are not a good idea to buy or own  should the USA slide into a recession . It is coming any way because recessions do come,at some point in time .Both Europe & Japans economies are  in trouble & China's economy has  been on a slide with the tariff wars  .This does not bode well  & the cost of oil has also  been moving up in cost . These are all head winds to any hospitality stock 

imo best to sit & watch what price  CCL settles at in several  trading days from now  .Yes the OBC benefits are nice but ,not guaranteed .Each  year the Carnival corp board of directors must vote to continue that benefit .Also .the dividend could be suspect in hard times ,for this cruise corporation  ,The bottom line is be very careful  making any decision to buy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Carnival Corp stock is very close to it's yearly low . now that the stock market is pulling back due to 2 months of contracting manufacturing activity in the USA  ,the over all stock market is reacting very negatively  .Today the DOW Jones average was down at one point over 500 points .

Certainly ,hospitality stocks are not a good idea to buy or own  should the USA slide into a recession . It is coming any way because recessions do come,at some point in time .Both Europe & Japans economies are  in trouble & China's economy has  been on a slide with the tariff wars  .This does not bode well  & the cost of oil has also  been moving up in cost . These are all head winds to any hospitality stock 

imo best to sit & watch what price  CCL settles at in several  trading days from now  .Yes the OBC benefits are nice but ,not guaranteed .Each  year the Carnival corp board of directors must vote to continue that benefit .Also .the dividend could be suspect in hard times ,for this cruise corporation  ,The bottom line is be very careful  making any decision to buy 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2699443-shareholder-obc-good-time-to-buy-stock-price-is-down/

I would agree with holding the stock.  I never bought it for the investment hoping that it would rise but that of course is always an added benefit.  It was purchased specifically to get the onboard credit which over the years has given me a few thousand dollars in ship credit.  At this point that has probably paid for the purchase price.  In addition, there are always the dividends.  Most people that cruise regularly can probably afford the investment in 100 shares of CCL stock.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I could care less how the stock performs.

I purchased it for the OBC.

Earned OBC has probably exceeded the price I paid for it.  😂

Agree. Today just purchased another 100 shares. Just for the heck of it. Nice sailing with princess for us.

I get the Stock OBC, Future cruise credit $50 or $100 and the Veterans OBC same as the stock offer. Nice! Sometimes Princess has a promotion OBC and so does my TA. All adds up very nice. Carnival stock is the very best to own. Like any stock. It has its ups and downs. In the mean time I get the OBC and the dividends.

Royals stock is twice the price and they screw you. If they offer let's say $50.00 OBC and your stock says you get $100.00 for the 7 day cruise. NO you do not. They $50 you already received so you only give the difference another $50.00 If you already have $100 OBC you get zero for the stock.

• Like 3

Buying CCL stock  for the share holder  OBCs id a good idea . However ,there is NO guarantees that  the Board of Directors   would  continue issuing it in much harder times for the corporation  & same for the dividend . any one imo who thinks that can not happen should never own any stock . 

Now I am not condeming  CCL  as a stock to buy .We have bought & sold it for  the OBCs just like many have  . The way we see it today is very different than when  the stock market was soaring due to excellent economic conditions  .We do not own the stock now ;but ,would we consider buying it in the future ,The answer is yes under better economic circunstances  for the country 

Any one can buy the stock ,het the OBC but  holding it ,still loose money if the stick tanks badly .JMVHO

• Haha 1

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

Buying CCL stock  for the share holder  OBCs id a good idea . However ,there is NO guarantees that  the Board of Directors   would  continue issuing it in much harder times for the corporation  & same for the dividend . any one imo who thinks that can not happen should never own any stock . 

Now I am not condeming  CCL  as a stock to buy .We have bought & sold it for  the OBCs just like many have  . The way we see it today is very different than when  the stock market was soaring due to excellent economic conditions  .We do not own the stock now ;but ,would we consider buying it in the future ,The answer is yes under better economic circunstances  for the country 

Any one can buy the stock ,het the OBC but  holding it ,still loose money if the stick tanks badly .JMVHO

BTW we are simply alerting any one looking to buy CCL now to understand the pros & cons 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Californian said:

Carnival Corp. ended the day at $41.44.

I have a total of 200 shares, bought in 2008 at $25/share, so not a problem since I will hold for the longterm. Between OBC, dividends, and price increases it's been quite profitable...and it's in a Roth IRA!!  

• Like 5

We bought at $37.05 - much higher than many here paid. However, at the end of next year (assuming they still pay the dividend - we already have the OBC applied for next fall's cruises) we will have received enough benefit from dividends and OBC to more than pay the initial cost of the stock. We are pretty surprised to see how low the stock has fallen after watching it hit the high $60s but hopefully it will rebound and Carnival Corp. will continue to pay dividends and to extend the OBC offers.

• Like 2

The stock went low after Carnival got hit with the 40 mill and another 20 mill for pollution. Plus the market went down. Once they are back on good standings. I would think it will go back up. Might be a year or two. Up or down as stocks do. I am happy with it. We cruise a lot and get more in OBC than any return. Especially with Princess. Carnival stock alone Carnival Dec $100 Princess Jan $100 Princess Feb $100 Carnival Dec 2020 $100 already received the OBC for all 4 cruises. 2 more to book for 2020 just do not know which ones at this time. 3 Carnival ships booked for 2021.

I'm glad I bought CCL stock several years ago. I have recouped the purchase price in OBC and dividends. I realize that both could go away, but I doubt that they do. One of my investments in another company did cut dividends dramatically after I bought it. The price dropped 10 percent to reflect the change in dividends and the difficult economic circumstances that forced the change. But they've bounced back to a respectable level and the stock price has rebounded as well. 

• Like 1