Irons in Staterooms

BenMurphy

Hi all

I have been speaking on line with someone who is in an Ocean view room who claims to have an iron in their room! 

Has something changed? 

I was of the understanding that the only irons for public use are in the laundry room.

I'm sure that someone here will know

thanks

Josie x

31 minutes ago, BenMurphy said:

Hi all

I have been speaking on line with someone who is in an Ocean view room who claims to have an iron in their room! 

Has something changed? 

I was of the understanding that the only irons for public use are in the laundry room.

I'm sure that someone here will know

thanks

Josie x

The only clothes irons allowed/supplied on any Oceania ship are those in the public laundry facilities. And even those irons are plugged into timers.

BTW, if you haven't been on an Oceania ship since before mid-2018, the laundries are now free (both wash and dry)!

• Like 1

Irons are against the rules for a very good reason --- they can start a fire.  The very last thing you would want to do onboard a ship is start a fire.  Just look up the fire on the Star Princess -- 1 person killed, well over 100 cabins damaged.  See the images below.  That was from a cigarette, but the current used by an iron could very possibly start a fire as well.  We are lucky that O does provide irons, but whether they do or not, taking one aboard ship, if you could get it onboard, is only asking for trouble.  The biggest danger at sea is not sinking, it is fire.

star_princess_fire1.jpg

star_princess_fire2.jpg

I used the irons in the Laundry room. Pretty handy that Oceania has laundry rooms. The first time I had the room to myself. The second time there was another person finishing up on one of the ironing boards. Don't need an iron in the stateroom.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bbwex said:

Irons are against the rules for a very good reason --- they can start a fire.  The very last thing you would want to do onboard a ship is start a fire.  Just look up the fire on the Star Princess -- 1 person killed, well over 100 cabins damaged.  See the images below.  That was from a cigarette, but the current used by an iron could very possibly start a fire as well.  We are lucky that O does provide irons, but whether they do or not, taking one aboard ship, if you could get it onboard, is only asking for trouble.  The biggest danger at sea is not sinking, it is fire.

star_princess_fire1.jpg

star_princess_fire2.jpg

Check out the dive ship that 39 people died of fire in Calif over Labor Day.

Might not have been an iron but may have been caused by extension cords & too many charging devices on one outlet.

9 minutes ago, CU64 said:

Check out the dive ship that 39 people died of fire in Calif over Labor Day.

Might not have been an iron but may have been caused by extension cords & too many charging devices on one outlet.

So true.  The cause of the fire is ultimately immaterial, but you certainly don't want to be the one that started it.

10 hours ago, bbwex said:

Just look up the fire on the Star Princess -- 1 person killed, well over 100 cabins damaged.  See the images below.  That was from a cigarette, 

Improper cigarette disposal was never proven as the cause of the fire. No cause has been determined only supposition as stated in the final report as to cause.

Here's a link to the final report.https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c706ae5274a4290000097/Star_Princess.pdf

Page 39 2.3.2 reads "In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, it is considered that the most likely source of ignition was a discarded cigarette end."

IMHO we weaken the argument for restricting smoking when incorrect statements are made regarding incidents such as the Star Princess fire.  Proponents for continued smoking on ships  simply point out the incorrect statements, which bolster their argument to resist change.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind responses and for confirming my belief that irons are strictly forbidden in state rooms. 

There are a few people that are claiming they had irons/boards in their rooms on board Riveria and one person in a B room and one in PH adamant that they have them in their rooms!

Hey Ho!

off to do some ironing now!

Jxx

Rather amazing to say they have ironing boards in their room as well.  That's something I've never seen on any of the ships.

Not that I've ever seen an iron anywhere but in the laundry rooms as well.

Josie

I have been in a B & A  cabin on Riviera  & IME there was never an iron or board in the cabin

I think someone is confused or winding you up

JMO

They do have irons & boards in the laundry rooms

Not only are irons not allowed but if you leave an unattended cell phone charging in your cabin, the cabin attendant or butler will unplug it.  Fire is the biggest danger on the ship and I am glad that O is proactive about preventing it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

Thank You all for confirming this.  There all still a couple of people adamant that they have had irons in their staterooms ☺️

Josie xx

ask them for photos  😅

Maybe they are talking about the P &  O  ship Oceana ???

32 minutes ago, BenMurphy said:

No! They are on Oceania FB page.  

Well IME

I have never seen an Iron or board in any cabins on the Oceania  ships

maybe something new since  our last cruise in April   but I have my doubts 

YMMV

• Like 2